Cheesman Ranch Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(72)
Mueller State Park

Cheesman Ranch Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Divide, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice wide trail on the North End of Mueller State Park near Divide, Colorado. This is a 5.5 mile loop which allows horses, mountain bikes, and hikers. Lots of wildlife viewing opportunities particularly in the early morning and evening hours.

Great Meadow Trail. Large views of Grouse Mtn. Along the way. Elk scat everywhere. The old homesteads were great to look at. Elevation gain is at the end of the trail. @thegratefulhikers

Snowshoed from Black Bear Trailhead. Snow not very deep, but only a couple bare spots. Pretty easy overall. Not that pretty, but a good family stroll.

Severely underwhelmed by this trail, which is sad for my first visit to this CO state park :( I could see this being a child friendly option or a good (very) beginner mountain bike / horseback riding trail… even potentially cross country skiing... but hiking in CO, this is not where it’s at (OK OK maybe if the aspens were changing 3.5 stars). I added Grouse Mountain overlook in the very beginning (I went clockwise) and wish I would have saved that view for the end (definitely the highlight of the outing). As of now, the back campgrounds are closed. If you venture out to the Grouse Mountain TH you will need to park at the (I believe) Black Bear TH and walk. Hard packed snow or snow just a couple of inches high, water proof shoes would be a plus. Definitely no need for spikes or snowshoes.

Great trail, very nice to do this time of year because of the Aspen colors. Very nice views and awesome rock formations (if you venture off-trail just a bit). Easy to do, great with kids.

Perfect blue bird day. Riding with Mary gun made for a perfect ride. Many people out walking the trails. Leaves look like they will be turning colors in about a week or so. Camped overnight at the equestrian fires for 2 Days.

The one part I didn’t like about this trail is one section swings out by the road and I like to feel more removed on hikes. Otherwise it was great, lots of wildflowers and pretty fields. I saw some elk by the old cabin, which was exciting. Quite a few flies, but didn’t bother me too much.

Beautiful hike! If you want a gentler ascent at the end, definitely do the trail clockwise. There were lots of wildflowers. At one point I thought I was walking through a prairie dog town, but when I saw the critters they were some type of ground squirrel. Super cute little guys, and I enjoyed listening to their chirruping. I also saw some deer and chipmunks. This place will be amazing in the fall when the aspens turn and I'll do this trail again then.

Pretty nice trail--wildflowers are a wonderful addition to the hike and scenery right now (June 29, 2019). Saw a group of 4 elk, tons of butterflies, birds all over the place. Highly recommended. One thing to keep in mind is this is a reverse hike--you start off at the high point, go downhill and then you're climbing back up in elevation as you get towards the end. Great hike, just tired legs going uphill at the end.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Wonderful winter hike. The snow was pretty deep, snowshoes definitely are required right now. Aspens are beautiful. The ranch looked really nice in the snow. Didn’t do the full loop as the amount of snow slowed us down. There was post holing to be had.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Amazing trail. Was a bit tough at some points as there was over a foot of snow on the ground. Well worth the effort

Sat Sep 29 2018

Beautiful trail! I did it counter clockwise, would recommend doing it clockwise as it got steep at the end and I was out of gas. The leaves were turning their fall colors, just breathtaking. This is a great reminder of why I live here!

Mon Aug 27 2018

Very nice ride.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Great trail! We took it slow and enjoyed the views of Pike's Peak! We had lunch in a meadow. We didn't see a soul on the trail. It was nice and peaceful. Lots of wildlife. We saw elf, squirrel, chipmunks, and several different birds. The Ranch was really cool!

Thu May 10 2018

Nice hike, well worn smooth trail with not to much elevation change in it. For those you are not used to those longer trails, be prepared for this trail. It takes time to finish it. Ran into fresh lion and bear tracks on the back side of this trail.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Beautiful hike to see the Aspens!

Sun Jul 09 2017

A casual easy tread thru woods and fields. The Ranch was a nice place to hold out while a rain storm comes thru. Only hikers and rather sparse @ that, one of the reasons I love coming to the Park, you and nature. One of my favorites out of Mueller State Park.

Sat May 20 2017

A pretty mellow hike, with some great views of Pike's peak along the way. The roadside section wasn't wonderful, but there was still plenty to see. We saw a large hawk, a doe, and plenty of bear scat and tracks. This trail has a lot of potential for short or very long version, as the park is spiderwebbed with trails.

Thu May 18 2017

16 May--A nice hike. Pretty long for a 4x4-accessible road hike. 4x4's aren't allowed of course. Would've been a nicer trail run probably. Not many tough hills at all. Temp was 55°. Trail was completely dry. I used boots but trail runners or even sneakers could've done the trick.

Sat Mar 18 2017

We settled on this trail the morning we tried to hike Horsetheif to the Crags Trail (it was too icy though). I'm so glad we hiked this trail (in conjunction with Cahill Pond Trail) because it ended up being my favorite hike of our entire week long hiking trip. We set our hammock up and hung out for a few hours across from the Cheesman Ranch buildings. It was a beautiful day! The trail was easy to follow and everything is very clearly marked! We highly suggest this one!!

Thu Aug 18 2016

Such a fun hike! Beautiful views. Fun change of scenery.

Mon May 30 2016

Nice trail for wildlife viewing, saw a bunch of deer and even heard a bear, although we couldn't see him

Wed Jul 17 2013

This is a nice trail but I give it 3 stars because it does parallel the highway for about a mile. This takes away from the remote and peaceful feeling of the majority of this 5.5 mile loop. The trail is a mixture of forest and meadows. I saw a number of elk with their young calves during the hike. It is cool to see the old ranch buildings as well. The long downhill at the beginning of the hike is nice but it means you have to climb back up at the end. If you go in a counter clockwise direction you will have more shade for the climb.