Learn more

Cheesman Canyon is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and fishing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 475 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the toilet at the trailhead is closed, so please plan accordingly.

Great trail. Great condition. Great views. Very quiet traffic wise. Took our dog out with us on a Wednesday around 730am and left by 11am. Great stops for letting him in the water to cool off. Highly recommend.

Great hike for a couple of hours! The views are gorgeous and well worth the slightly steep areas. We got here at 10:30 AM on 6/29 and there was more than half the parking lot empty.

got there at 8am on Saturday and the parking lot was almost full. super easy trail with beautiful views and easy access to the South Platte. this was a fun hike and shade was intermittent. it did get a little hot but a great hike!

Amazing hike. Just absolutely beautiful. The pup loved it!!

You will be given a $15 ticket if you park on the street by the trailhead.

Absolutely gorgeous trail. Some great spots to wade or even swim along the way. Go early to find parking, saw a cop giving tickets like they were going out of style when I was leaving.

Descent size parking area, but fills up quickly mainly with people fishing. You will see trail signs to keep you on track, however, occasionally the trail becomes questionable and then you'll see it again. Several down trees in area to climb over, over grown brush in some areas. Easy hike. Dog Friendly. No cell service.

Such a beautiful trail! A bit gravelly so there are definitely some steeping inclines that you can slide down, I would recommend hiking boots for sure. So easy to get to the river and wonderful views throughout the canyon. There didn't really seem to be a defined end to the trail, unless you went all the way to where Upper Cheesman Canyon Trail started near the damn.

Absolutely stunning in all directions at all times. The trail is a hard to moderate hike at times and definitely has some washed out harder areas than expected. Overall, beautiful and a great place to hang by the river all day.

Probably one of my favorite hikes ever, it is SO pretty! There are some steep parts with scree that I slid down but I also wore hiking sandals. I recommend close toed shoes or hiking boots. Pack a lunch & have a picnic at one of the many pull offs down to the river :)

Great little walk in the woods! Very easy trail. It’s well marked you really can’t get lost

So fun! Very beautiful moderate hike! Bring a little picnic to enjoy on rocks.

Beautiful trail! Was really quiet despite a full parking lot, with several fisherman along the route. Got there at 10am on a Wednesday. Pretty easy to go off trail like some have said, and the steep sandy uphill/downhill trails you may take from/to the river can be a little dicey!

Great hike.

Awesome! Great workout and beautiful scenery

recorded Cheesman Canyon

Great hike! Easy to go off trail but we always managed to get back on.

Hiked 6-12-20 . Great Trail with Stunning Views the entire way. Some slippery dry rock spots on the high trail, definitely recommend a high top shoe or boot. Little to no shade in the canyon so wear a hat or sunscreen definitely and if bringing dogs please pack out the waste. The ole ‘ill pick it up on our way back’ trick doesn’t seem to be working out for many on this trail. Enjoy this 3 mile stretch of Colorado Beauty at its Finest.

Great hike! We took Gill Trail which follows the river and took many opportunities to walk down to the water on the little offshoot paths for fishermen. Clocked abt 6.5mi and 1000ft gain because of our little detours, but worth the extra leg work! We arrived at 6:30am and the parking lot was already filling out—highly recommend arriving early! Note: Bathroom is still closed bc of COVID. Also, there are no garbages for dog waste so please pack it out (was super disappointed to see how many bags were on the trail).

I loved being able to go down near the water. the views were amazing! I agree that there were spots that were a bit steep and sandy, and I was worried about slipping. There's an upper and lower trail, and with all of the fishing trails it can get confusing about which trail to follow. We ultimately turned around before the end because we weren't sure how to see the reservoir and we were on the trail way longer than expected. Definitely will be worth another visit.

What a hidden gem!! Definitely one of my new favorite hikes. I really enjoyed this hike because the trail follows the river and there was a beautiful view around every corner. There are fishing paths that branch off throughout the trail so you can get down closer to the river and there’s lots of peaceful areas to stop for a water break and a snack. I would encourage people to be courteous in the early morning with noise levels because there were lots of fly fishers out. I arrived at 7:30a on a Sunday and the parking lot was beginning to fill up. By the time I came back to the lot at 10:30a people were parking pretty far up the highway and having to walk to the trailhead!!

This trail is amazing!!! Very clear path. Signs to help you know where your going. The Water view is beautiful, so clear. Lots of boulders to try to climb and take pictures on the water. Little shade. There are a lot of little tiny loose rocks. Wear good shoes. Can be very slippery in quite a few places. Go early. We got to the trail lot at 7:20am Sunday 6/14/20 and there was only about 4-5 parking spots left. I would definitely recommend this trail to everyone.