Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 9.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,601 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail is fantastic. First part follows the Longs Peak Trail through the woods. Climb is consistent and gentle, very easy. It steepens a bit once you get past the tree line, especially in the stretch immediately before the outhouse at the trail junction. After the junction you go downhill for a bit, and then have to scramble up a ~150 rockfall to reach the lake. Take your time and follow the cairns.

Originally set out to summit Mt. Lady Washington but turned back due to high winds. Set out for Chasm Lake instead. Last 250 yards is not passable without crampons and an ice axe. Trail from the Longs Peak Ranger Station is in great condition. Well packed snow all the way to treeline. Parking lot was very empty for a Sunday. Probably due to 50mph wind gusts. Stunning trail in the winter from an easy access trailhead. Just be sure to bring your winter gear. The snow will only get deeper.

Packed snow for most of the way. Spikes are basically a must, and an ice axe would have come in handy near the lake.

icy

Fantastic hike, recommend spikes and poles in the winter.

This was an awesome hike, completed 10/26. After today’s storm, I would not attempt without crampons at the minimum. I saw a lot of people with tennis shoes and no poles, I would’ve made it 1/4 mile without our crampons because my hiking shoes were slipping everywhere on the ice when we started. Once we got above tree line, you would need either winter hiking boots or snowshoes to avoid frozen feet. The trail is more difficult to find in the snow, it’s handy to have your AllTrails app open to make sure you’re on the right path (although it is apparent which general direction to head).

We hiked it yesterday 10/20 and it took us 3 hours up 2 hours down. There was hardly any snow on the trail that we never used our spikes that we packed with us. There was one small icy patch in the scrambling section but it is doable. It was super windy above the tree line and cold at the top so pack lots and lots of layers!

Absolutely amazing trail/experience. Definitely make sure you at least have poles, nano/micro spikes, and gloves(I forgot the gloves, never again). Amazing views the entire way, light/moderate traffic. Trail is marked fairly well, up until you hit the scramble portion. Once you hit the end of the scramble, it almost seems as if the trail abruptly ends. You can either go around left of the rock where the trail ends, or climb up the rocks to the right. Either one will get you there, but going around is definitely the safer option. Parking can be a bit of a hassle, so getting there early is probably best. Overall was an amazing hike, and experience.

Amazing hike!! Completed on 10/19. The trail was snow free with the exception of a few spots. I never used my microspikes but did use my poles towards the top and on the way down. Although it was lightly snowing pretty much all day, not much stuck. There were calm and windy periods but it was cold. Probably in the 20s or teens at chasm lake at 1:40pm (my hydration hose froze) due to lack of sun but absolutely breathtaking with the snow highlighting the rock formations! This trail is a CONTINUOUS uphill from the beginning until you reach the top of the ridge above the tree line. Then it goes down for a bit before the final push and scramble which was definitely the most difficult part of the hike for me due to altitude, temp and the most technical part of the trail (glad to have poles here). There is some ice in the gully so I went left hard and made some switchbacks. First there is a kind of walkable rock wall followed by a boulder/scree field. Keep your eye out for the trail/cairns as it seems like you are nearing the top of the boulder field. There is an absolutely massive boulder overhanging the trail at the top of the boulder field, you go around that keeping it on your right and you are at chasm lake. There is kind of a naturaI wall that funnels you left as you are hiking up to the overhanging boulder. I clocked in around 10 miles and took 4hrs 50 mins with a fast pace, maybe 15-20 mins at chasm and minimal breaks along the way, it was really freezing with the wind and no sun so I was motivated to move! I put my rainpants on over my pants to block the wind just before the scramble, then I had a long sleeve, mid layer qzip, a puffy with a hood, rain jacket, buff, hat, and gloves. Didn’t need the puffy until the lake and the way down. Bring tons of layers!! Chasm isn’t frozen yet but the two lakes below were. Absolutely gorgeous hike that was strenuous but extremely rewarding!

Planning to hike december 5-8, looking for partner in crime to climb the peaks together. please message me on instagram vrybby

One of my most favorites. It was cold and windy, and the trail is packed down with ice, so micro spikes are a must for almost the entire trail.

Highly recommend! Challenging hike with a beautiful journey and destination. The trails were very icy making that the most difficult part. Got to the trailhead at 9am and there was plenty of parking.

Truly amazing hike. I recommend doing this sooner than later though. It’s getting icy at the top! And as others have stated, parking can be a problem if you don’t get there early. We were there by 8-ish and got one of the last spots

I highly recommend this hike. Beautiful. This was a difficult hike for both my boyfriend and I. So rewarding!!

most beautiful place ever. so fantastic and incredible

really beautiful up top. a little chilly. recommend being on the trail by 8am. not a lot of people this morning (Sept 29). pretty high altitude so maybe not great for visitors.

Did this Hike last Saturday. Parking lot was full at 5:30am had to park just down the hill a little bit. Got on trail at 6am and hit summit at 8am. Great views once above tree line, winds started to pick up at tree line. Last scramble of boulders was a little icy so keep a good eye on foot placement. Overall great hike. Bring gloves just to be sure, I forgot mine and regret it.

Trail was great, it was a hard trail but beautiful.

Pretty great hike that keeps going up when you think youve peaked. Pretty challenging but the payoff is way worth it. Last push is a big scramble if you want to go off trail and that Id highly recommend