Chasm Lake is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

This is a pretty hard trail that leads to a lake at the summit. You'll have to climb up and down several loose rock scrambles.

Hiked today. Woke up at 3am and got here just before 5am. Me and two friends hiked this trail, and with few stops we managed to make it up by 8:30am. The way up wasn’t hard, we all had microspikes which made it way easier to hike up. Once we hit alpine level the wind was insane. At least 30mph with 50+mph gusts. It was scary on the traverse due to the wind and ice, but still manageable with microspikes. Once we got near the top there was a scramble with an ice waterfall which was fun. The actual lake was huge and frozen with at least 3 feet of ice. We walked on the lake and messed around for a bit before heading down. On the way down it started to snow/sleet for a bit and clouds were coming in over the mountain. Overall the hike had some pretty views and wasn’t too hard. It was cool to see and walk on the frozen lake. I gave this 4 stars because I would do it again, but i dont think it stands out enough on the actual hike itself to want to do it over any other hike.

Beautiful hike. The last stretch up to the lake was brutal, 40-50mph winds blowing straight at you, also incredibly windy at the top but saw people skiing off longs so that was cool. Saw no one on the way up but in the way down multiple parties. Hiked Oct 21 so my review is irrelevant for current conditions.

Great hike but the winds were almost insurmountable. 50-60 mph gusts with biting wind and blowing snow. Not for the faint of heart. Got within visual distance of chasm lake but couldn't proceed without ice picks/axes. No trail, blown over and potentially very treacherous. Be careful!

Great weather yesterday at Chasm Lake! micro spikes from trailhead to lake and I was glad to have my ice axe for the last half mile. Be careful and enjoy!

Broke a new trail past the ridge to the lake after the most recent snow. Definitely slick and exposed, but manageable with microspikes. Beautiful winter hike!

A must do

Classic hike. GREAT views towards the top - bit of a grind on the way. Bit of scrambling to get to the lake shore.

One of my favorites. Go in late Spring to see Columbine Falls at its finest.

One of my favorites in Rocky Mountain. Be prepared for any kind of weather any time of year, and be aware of avalanche risk on the last 1/2 mile where you have to traverse an ice field during the winter. Above tree line for a long time, so almost guaranteed to run into heavy winds and turn around to tree line if weather looks threatening. enjoy it!

Loved this hike, did it last weekend with a friend. Pretty challenging, some good elevation right off the bat and then some heavy winds up above the tree line. We did about 9’5 miles even though it’s only supposed to be 8. If you are going in the winter be wary of the final .5 mile of the path, it’s pretty icy and it’s right on the edge of a cliff. We had to to turn around because of the Ice so I’d recommend spikes / poles. If there is snow it’s easy to lose the path at the top so keep that in mind when you are hiking!
Get out there and do it!

Great weather today. Hard-packed trail all the way to Chasm Lake - no need for snowshoes (or even gaiters, although they are a nice-to-have). Used microspikes and trekking poles for the snowfield. Definitely need some sort of traction because there aren't steps kicked all the way across.

Challenging climb, but you’re rewarded with a stunning lake at the end. Listen for the hikers cheering while conquering Longs Peak above. Enjoy!

Always a great trail! Made it to chasm/longs peak split late in the day. Choose your own adventure above tree line. Spikes/yaktrax and snowpants are a must. Only ran into one other couple on the trail. They called the hike down to chasm spicy and said ice axe/trekking poles were def needed to break the trail.

We hiked all the way to Chasm lake today. After tree line there are several tracks that diverge and we didn’t find the main trail for a while on the way up and down. After Chasm Junction, we had to break trail. This section was a little spicy and I wouldn’t recommend doing it without micro spikes and an ice axe. My husband had his crampons and I had microspikes. We both had ice axes and were happy to have the gear. There’s plenty of opportunity for postholing and I’d recommend gaiters also. However, it was a gorgeous day and we had fun.

Lots of snow drifts! The cairns mentioned below were covered coming up the mountain, but visible on the way down. That being said, the crossing was a bit of a “choose your own adventure” situation: forget the trail and try to stay out of the drifts as you make your way towards the pass. Snowshoes would be helpful but bring a map, poles, microspikes and gaiters/snowpants at the minimum. Great views and lots of fun

Hiked 11/10. Trails are well packed, definitely need spikes the whole way up. Poles are helpful at chasm crossing. Trail is hard to find above treeline, but is still well packed. Look for the giant cairns.

This trail cranked me.

Not very scenic from the trailhead until 2 miles in. The top of the tree line was covered in snow and it was very windy. By then we were just trucking through knee deep snow. Would do again in summertime.

Such a beautiful trail. We hiked up on Saturday and couldn’t complete it due to a snow storm and little visibility. Definitely would recommend using yak tracks or micro spikes on a better day. There is snow and ice pretty much the entire trail. There were still quite a few people on the trail.

CHASM Lake! WOW! It's everything I've ever wanted in a hike. We started at 6:30am just as the stars were dimming, the sun was coming up and the moon was going down. Once you exit the Goblin's Forest, the views of Longs Peak are extraordinary. This is an epic hike; to be in the valley below Longs Peak is breathtaking. Now, let me add this. To get to Chasm Lake, you need to keep on keeping on. Don't give up when you get to the "vaults" at the intersection. It's at least another mile to Chasm and if you see a small frozen lake on the left, that's Peacock Pool, that is not Chasm Lake so keep going. You have to ascend a very rocky, hilly, ice-covered mountain to actually get to Chasm but when you do, it's GLORY, GLORY, GLORY! I have #hikingfever and this hike has now eclipsed all but one of my hikes ... Hope Pass will forever be my #1 hike!

This was our first hike on our Colorado honeymoon and it didn't disappoint. We went on a Tuesday in mid-September; the parking lot was about 3/4 full when we arrived at 7:30, the weather was perfect, and the colors were gorgeous! As flat-lander Minnesotans I would say most of the trail is moderate, with the rock-scrambling at the end being difficult. Phenomenal views the entire time, up and back.

Excellent hike to Chasm Lake on 10/20. Started at 7am. Total moving time was 4.5 hours roundtrip, with an additional hour spent at the lake as we lucked out with zero wind and warm sunshine. The lake was about half frozen. Excellent views of Longs the entire way. Trail was majority covered in snow, but packed. Microspikes were worn the whole way. No issues crossing the boulder field. A little slushy on the return hike. Some short icy patches climbing up to the lake. Just go slow and watch your footing. Very happy to have completed this hike after attempting 1.5 years ago and encountering 50mph winds at the trailhead.

I did this hike 2 years ago and it remains to be one of my favorites. The trail is covered in packed snow the entire way, so I would definitely recommend having micro spikes on hand. It can definitely be done without spikes, but it just might be a little slower/harder/more slippery. Once you get above tree line you might find yourself following footpaths that are definitely not the real trail, but it will get you up to the trail junction between Chasm Lake and Boulderfield one way or another. A breathtaking view of Longs is visible for most of the hike (above tree line) but it’s even more amazing to have it looming above you once you’re finally at the lake.

Amazing and challenging hike. Chasm lake with a little bit of snow on the ground was quite a sight to see. Once you break through the forest the views are breathtaking.

Incredible view of multiple lakes and Mountain View’s, steep climb in the half mile

An amazing hike that gets your blood pumping. From the Ranger Station to Chasm Lake is a 4.2 mile hike that ascends 2,522 vertical feet, so the out and back hike is 8.4 miles as opposed to the 7.7 miles listed here. It’s a tough and steep high altitude trail, so bring plenty of water. It’s strenuous, but the payoff is absolutely surreal. This trail brings you right up to the east face of Longs Peak. Chasm Lake is one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring high altitude lakes that I’ve ever seen. Bring a good camera, because the photo opportunities are terrific throughout.

Great views and well worth the hike! Should be listed as ~8.4 miles though.

A fun, but steep trail with wonderful views of the valley. It was incredibly windy above the tree line. I'll post pictures tonight.

Definitely a fun hike. Great payoff for an intense (if you’re from the Midwest) hike. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Beautiful hike, we got there at 7 am and made it to the top in 1.5 hours. I would say moderate to strenuous for sure, lots of rock steps. View at the top was totally worth it!