Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

Great trail. Slippery rim trail before you get to the lake.

great trail. hiked it yesterday. no need for snowshoes, but need traction such as microspikes. trail is hard packed snow.

Gorgeous hike throughout. Make sure you hike early to avoid crowds and potential storms at the peak.

Considered part of RMNP but did not have to pay for any parking or entry since this is outside of Estes Park.

Got as far as peacock lake then turned back. Ridge too narrow for snowshoes and traction needed d/t melting/slippery snow. Very little snow thru rock field. Will do this again in May when snow melts and with crampons.

I did this trail last year in late February, and we lost the trail coming back down. We got stuck walking/falling through snow up to our armpits. We had to yell for help, until a nice man heard us yelling and brought us back to the trail. Not a fun experience. My point is, if you're not the best with navigation, I would not recommend this trail. If you feel confident, go for it--but it's very easy to lose your way once you get above tree line, especially in winter. Would consider this hike hard, not moderate by any means. Wait until summer for this hike!

Fun mountain to snowshoe. Get there early. Trail is easy to lose at the top in the snow but if you have a map you can figure it out.

We did this hike on 9/11/16. Excellent trail, and lots of people despite the fairly windy day. Chasm Lake is pretty tricky to get to if you're not comfortable scrambling a little at the very end of the hike. But well worth being there after that last pitch. That east face of Longs Peak is really something to see from that spot. It had been cloudy and windy the whole hike up, and as soon as we got to the lake the sun came out. Perfect timing!! It makes for a fairly long day for the average hiker, but a good destination. It puts you up front and in person to the base of a 14er when you are at the lake.

really beautiful. didn't quite make it to the lake. after the longs peak trail splits off to the north, the trail disappeared. tried to break trail through the snow, but was by myself and the terrain started approaching avalanche angle. i'll be back though...

A great alternative to Long's Peak when the weather is not cooperative (wind and early snow). Left very early to catch the sunrise over the lake. The downside of any Long's Peak area excursion is the early start. Hiking with a headlamp does not allow me to see or photograph the beauty of the area on the way in.

This was our second hike in RMNP, it was a bit tough but well worth the hike. The river crossings on the way up were nice. The trail transitions from forest into alpine tundra. We went in the middle of October and started around 11 AM. It was pretty cool at the beginning but as you hike higher it got pretty breezy and chilly. At the top it was very windy and cold, we couldn't stay too long. The weather didn't take away from the beauty of the lake. The most difficult part of the trail was the last scramble up just before the lake. It was still pretty icy up there so it was a bit tricky navigating up the ice and rocks. I would recommend hiking with a good pair of boots to keep traction. The whole hike took us about 6 hours to complete. I think we went a little slower than usual cause it was our second hike and we are all from Florida which is as flat as it gets. All along the way is breathtaking views of the mountains and the valley. I can't wait to come back out here!

One of the best hikes I've ever been on.. 13.5km to chasm lake.. last 500m is pretty steep and technical.. but worth it!

Absolutely gorgeous hike! It is a little challenging at the end climbing up the rocks but it makes the end result worth it! This hike is one of the favorites I've done so far in the Rockies. Would definitely do it again

Great hike! Extra challenging to get up the last scramble with the snow and ice, but that much more rewarding when it was done! I enjoyed the waterfalls and river crossings on the way up, and once you get above the treeline the views are remarkable. My only caution if you go soon is to watch for falling ice around the cliffs just past Peacock Pool...I nearly got creamed by a softball sized solid ball of ice! Otherwise some minor slippage, but poles were good enough to get past it. No problem with parking either, on a wintery weekday. Even when I left at 3ish, there were still a lot of open spots. Overall awesome!