Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

Amazing A**kicking hike. I loved the emerald looking peacock pool with the waterfalls in sight but the snowy thunderstorm that broke out after the peaceful lake destination chill time was the best. Took my cousin and I 7.5 to complete with all the breaks and stopping we did. One of my favs for sure

Really enjoyed this hike. We clocked in at 8.6 miles, and it took us about 4:30 hours total, including breaks and some time at the lake. Vault toilets at the trailhead and twice along the trail were a luxury! Snowbank is pretty unproblematic at this point. We had poles but would have been fine without. The scramble to the lake was a lot of fun. Highly recommended!

This was a great hike, although it wasn't a blue bird day and the rain started about halfway back down to the trailhead. I did have a few notes that may be helpful. 1. Remember this trail is in RMNP and not dogs, even leashed. 2. There are 2 bathrooms available once you reach the split with the Long's Peak Trail. 3. There will probably be a snow field you have to cross, it is very short (100 ft or so today). But, if you slip you will slide down a ways. Most everyone made it, but if you are wearing sneakers it may be a bit tough. 4. The last 150 yards is a rock scramble. It was a lot of fun, but unexpected. There isn't a well marked trail up the rocks, just keep going up until you get to the lake. Overall this hike is well worth the effort!

This was my first hike this summer after recently returning to Colorado, the weather was clear so I made it an afternoon hike and made it to Chasm and back in about 4 hours. Lots of switchbacks off the start, once you get above tree line there are good views looking out over Peak-peak Highway and across the way there is the Twin Sisters Peak. Shortly after you take the trail to go to Chasm instead of Longs there was a shelf of snow that you have to walk across, not super difficult just watch your footing (most likely melted now). After you go through the open fields with the stream running through there's a little traversing to get up to the lake, make sure to bring but spray the skeetos are bad up there. I packed my pack typically light a couple clif bars, rain jacket, 2 liter camelback, Sony camera. Not a difficult hike if you are well conditioned. Follow me on Instagram for gorgeous mountain photos @Alex.Newkirk

I was thoroughly impressed with this hike. I am not an expert hiker (to say the least), but this was doable for me. I knew about the snow fields toward the end and to be honest, it scared me to walk this without proper gear. I just took it slow across and it worked out. The last scramble to get to the lake was a climb that my poor aching muscles struggled with, but it was certainly worth it!! I was so impressed with how well defined and well maintained that these trails were. Even above timber line there was clearly defined directions and places to focus on to rest on the way up.

I don't know why this is rated as moderate, it was really tough in my book! I think the elevation caused it to be more difficult than some of the other hikes we've done. I went in august of last year. The wild flowers were beautiful along the last stretch. The views were great. The lake wasn't as impressive as the views were along the way. I did find it annoying that there were so many horses on the trail, which was really unpleasant to have to step around a bunch of horse poop the whole way. Overall though, I really had a great time on this hike!

i screwed up when i did this hike

towards the end of the hike (maybe last .5 miles) there is a section covered in hardened snow (almost ice) and you have to cross it to continue. i thought chasm lake was on our left and it wasn't, it was peacock lake. you can't see chasm lake from the trail. you have to cross this icy section and scramble UP at the end of the trail to the right. either bring poles or look for a long sturdy stick on the way to the lake because you will need it to cross this icy section. if you slip and fall you will fall down a slope (not a drop off) about 100ft.

Incredible hike!

Great trail, beautiful creek that flows steeply. get there early for parking since you're at the longs peak trailhead.

The last bit of the hike is about a 300 ft scramble. lake is gorgeous with longs in the background

one of my favorites in rmnp

Fabulous!!!! The views were breathtaking!!