Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

This hike was very challenging today (6/14). The first two miles were a breeze but the next two miles have tons of snow. Most of it was packed but we did our fair share of post-holing and slipping. Unfortunately, we didn't make it all the way to the lake (we made it about 3/4 of the way up) and we had to turn around because we lost the trail under the snow. What we did see was absolutely beautiful!

I've done this hike and Longs Peak but didn't like it this June. Only made it half way due to the snow and flies. Mea culpa - we wore only sneakers. Later in the summer it is by far my favorite hike.

Saturday in Sunday out. Just this weekend. About two miles in the snow comes in full face than not. One thing major to note is there's about a total of 2 miles of narrow ledge that you will traverse. Open on one side. To you left on the way up n to your right on the way down. The lake was still frozen and this is a cool spot to watch climbers do what they do best. Hike up the chutes and ski or hike down. Definitely a lot of snow and you will need at a minimum spikes. Otherwise the snow are packed mostly.

On May 12th the trail under the treeline was well packed but expect to posthole for the last 1.5-2 miles. I made it without microspikes but they would've made things much easier. The lake is still frozen and breathtaking as ever.

Excellent hike, fortunate today weather was amazing and warm all day!! Although you could do this hike without micro spikes, save yourself pain and just get some they are needed all the way up to the lake. Lake is still frozen snow is softening be careful. Go get this one before summer madness starts with everyone doing Longs Peak

Great hike. Definitely need microspikes for a March outing. I left my gators at home and sort of wished I had them because some patches of snow can be unpredictable in the tundra. That being said, snowshoes would be too much since the trail can be narrow at spots...spikes were perfect. It's easy to lose the trail in the snow so be sure to have to app's map handy. When you get to the Alpine Tundra sign veer right not left! I took a detour (albeit beautiful) for a bit before realizing and having to backtrack. I will try this hike again soon since the weather was not ideal and the views were limited by clouds and snowfall. Absolutely gorgeous views the few times the clouds did break. Still was worth it.

Great trail. Slippery rim trail before you get to the lake.

great trail. hiked it yesterday. no need for snowshoes, but need traction such as microspikes. trail is hard packed snow.

Gorgeous hike throughout. Make sure you hike early to avoid crowds and potential storms at the peak.

Considered part of RMNP but did not have to pay for any parking or entry since this is outside of Estes Park.

Got as far as peacock lake then turned back. Ridge too narrow for snowshoes and traction needed d/t melting/slippery snow. Very little snow thru rock field. Will do this again in May when snow melts and with crampons.

I did this trail last year in late February, and we lost the trail coming back down. We got stuck walking/falling through snow up to our armpits. We had to yell for help, until a nice man heard us yelling and brought us back to the trail. Not a fun experience. My point is, if you're not the best with navigation, I would not recommend this trail. If you feel confident, go for it--but it's very easy to lose your way once you get above tree line, especially in winter. Would consider this hike hard, not moderate by any means. Wait until summer for this hike!

Fun mountain to snowshoe. Get there early. Trail is easy to lose at the top in the snow but if you have a map you can figure it out.

We did this hike on 9/11/16. Excellent trail, and lots of people despite the fairly windy day. Chasm Lake is pretty tricky to get to if you're not comfortable scrambling a little at the very end of the hike. But well worth being there after that last pitch. That east face of Longs Peak is really something to see from that spot. It had been cloudy and windy the whole hike up, and as soon as we got to the lake the sun came out. Perfect timing!! It makes for a fairly long day for the average hiker, but a good destination. It puts you up front and in person to the base of a 14er when you are at the lake.