Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

Excellent

Chasm Lake is one of my all-time favorite hikes. The views
along the way, ... Peacock Lake, Chasm Falls, wildflowers,... just awesome! I did this hike in July 2016 - perfect hiking weather, and the snow had just melted past the boulder field. The boulder field is one of the most challenging / taxing parts of the hike; your thighs and legs get a workout an it slows your hiking pace down. The last part of the hike, you need to scramble up a steeper area and I needed to watch my footing and take my time. But the views of Chasm Lake over the ridge and of Longs Peak were just Amazing! The CO Hiking book and RMNP said this hike was 9.4mi. I know it is rated moderate here; CO Hiking rates it Moderate - Strenuous and I agree. I was glad I started this early morning. Had time to eat and take a break at Chasm Lake before hiking back. By the way, did any of you hikers try that "outhouse" that hangs over the ridge? Crazy!

Snow was packed. Went up to 2 miles from the lake with snowshoes, then had to take them off because no snow. Came down with just boots; no snowshoes or microspikes. Poles were useful though. It was super windy today.

Went yesterday. Not a lot of snow above treeline. Made it to the lake with just microspikes, but there was one pitch that was icy and one traverse over deep, unstable snow on a steep slope that made me wish I had an ice axe and crampons. Nothing too sketchy. Was able to detour around the ice by scrambling and push through the snow on the traverse, even if nervous.

Certainly windy in spots, but tolerable enough that I never felt the need to break out the windbreaker.

Lake itself was beautiful and frozen and creaking. Cold but not as windy as the ridge. I don't like wearing microspikes if I am on rocks and I also dislike taking them on and off, so I ended up slipping a few times. Definitely slick in spots!

Took me just over 4 hours from the car to the lake to the car. I tend to stop and take a lot of photos, though.

Hiked 1/14/2018 - Started at 8:30am - Back at Car 1pm

Very beautiful hike. Snow is well packed for the beginning. Didn't use microspikes until about 1 or 2 miles from Chasm Lake (just for a short period).

Poles and Snowshoes would help. Deep snow walking from Boulder Field to Chasm Lake (parts up to 3-4ft). Steep final climb up to the lake. Either on a sheet of ice (with microspikes, not recommended though) or scrambling up rocks on all 4's (what I did up and down)

Very windy about the treeline. Make sure you have sunglasses and a good wind jacket

Honestly for winter would say this is more towards HARD over MODERATE.

Did this solo as a pretty fast hiker but also took a lot of photography breaks (my main reason for going there)

Only needed spikes, very little snow above tree line.

Attempted 1/9. Trail was packed down, only needed microspikes. The wind was the main issue with 60 mph gusts. Only saw a handful of people and two that ended up turning around ahead of me. I ended up turning around at the juncture. Will try again. Beautiful scenery and well maintained trail

started at 4:45 a.m. ended up making Treeline by Dawn. That's when the winds picked up to 80 mile an hour gust. With sustained winds at around 40 miles an hour. Made the hike a lot of fun though, not sure I could have done it without my crampons. Definitely need microspikes on this winter hike. Be sure and hydrate. I got a little bit of altitude sickness during the last leg. Ended up making it off the trail head at around 4 p.m. it's easy to lose the trail at times. It definitely helps to have your all Trails GPS open. Definitely one of the most fun hikes I have ever taken! As always show up before dawn!

Did this trail yesterday, Sunday, January 7, 2018. Got to the Trailhead at 8AM and there was plenty of parking. Microspikes were needed. Day was high of 20s but sunny. First part of the hike has some uphill with lots of switch backs. Trail was clearly marked, no issues finding it. Above tree line, around 2.5 miles in, was extremely windy and trail was harder to find with blowing snow. The traverse was pretty snowy and a bit sketchy. Definitely needed microspikes and poles for extra support. The wind was very strong and footprints in the snow were easily lost, due to immediate cover up. The last part of the trail up to Chasm was very icy— we trekked up the left side near the rocks to avoid the ice sheet. Chasm was beautiful! Oh, we also saw 4 ptarmigans right at tree line that were pure white.

easy but beautiful leads to a shortcut up longs

that was amazing, but really dangerous. went up before the sun came up and wind speed was as high as 83mph

Great trail. 4 hours RT. Had microspikes which made life a whole lot easier but you could go without them if you waited til later in the day when the snow softens. Pack snow majority of the way.

By far my favorite lake hike. The trail was easily passable with just yaktrax.

Not to challenging!! The wind is a bitch once you're past the timberline. Will need micro spikes. Make sure to pass peacock pool to get to chasm.

Perfectly sunny day. The first mile spikes required. Middle 2 miles not so mulch as you are on dirt/rock/snow and final mile you need along the slop and to scale up to the lake. The trail is a little hard to find as you get above tree line and the wind picked up. Well worth the trip as the lake is frozen over and not covered in snow. Great views.

great trail. very windy above treeline.. microspikes are needed. it gets sketchy the last mile. but if you have microspikes (and trekking poles) it isn't bad.

I had microspikes, which helped with ice in the beginning parts of the trail. Some parts of the trail were easy to lose in the snow, but GPS helped. Overall very doable and beautiful up at the lake.

Definitely still doable, recommend having some sort of traction (Yaktrax were perfectly fine when we did it) and maybe trekking poles to keep from getting blown over by the winds above treeline.

Beautiful.

Well packed snow on trail only needed micro spikes. Some posthole on upper portion above tree line. Beautiful hike

11/2 - there was not much snow at the time of our hike. Patches of ice and snow, but nothing microspikes or yaktrexs can’t handle. The ridge to chasm lake was also clear of ice and snow. It was a bit windy once you hit treeline