Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

58 minutes ago

Not to challenging!! The wind is a bitch once you're past the timberline. Will need micro spikes. Make sure to pass peacock pool to get to chasm.

Perfectly sunny day. The first mile spikes required. Middle 2 miles not so mulch as you are on dirt/rock/snow and final mile you need along the slop and to scale up to the lake. The trail is a little hard to find as you get above tree line and the wind picked up. Well worth the trip as the lake is frozen over and not covered in snow. Great views.

great trail. very windy above treeline.. microspikes are needed. it gets sketchy the last mile. but if you have microspikes (and trekking poles) it isn't bad.

I had microspikes, which helped with ice in the beginning parts of the trail. Some parts of the trail were easy to lose in the snow, but GPS helped. Overall very doable and beautiful up at the lake.

Definitely still doable, recommend having some sort of traction (Yaktrax were perfectly fine when we did it) and maybe trekking poles to keep from getting blown over by the winds above treeline.

Beautiful.

Well packed snow on trail only needed micro spikes. Some posthole on upper portion above tree line. Beautiful hike

11/2 - there was not much snow at the time of our hike. Patches of ice and snow, but nothing microspikes or yaktrexs can’t handle. The ridge to chasm lake was also clear of ice and snow. It was a bit windy once you hit treeline

Nice trek to Chasm Lake a little late in the year but very doable. Icy trails intermittently after leaving the tree line. Quite windy on the way up but calmed down on the return. Kahtoola Microspikes came in very handy on the ascent up to Chasm Lake as the path was a sheet of ice. It was safer to boulder and rock climb up the face avoiding the trail. It was worth the effort!

Hiked this trail 10/21/17. Would not suggest hiking to the lake itself in this time of year due to biting winds, deep snow, and very slippery ice. The trail is beautiful the whole way and the view of Long's Peak is stunning! However, the trail up the two ridges to the take (at about 4.2 miles) is very dangerous at this time of year due to lots of ice. I completed the scrambling with trail running shoes but would highly recommend microspikes. A fall off these boulders would result in serious injury.
I completed this hike in 5 hours-much longer than I thought it would as I am a fast hiker but the ice and snow forced me to slow my pace tremendously. My GPS watch clocked 9.1 miles. It was about 20 degrees the whole way up with serious winds-not a fun climate. Make sure to wear adequate wind protection as I got first degree frostbite on my fingers, even though I was wearing gloves. I would love to come back in the summer to have a more enjoyable hike. Due to bad weather and lots of ice, I unfortunately did not enjoy myself that much.
The views of Long's Peak are absolutely spectacular...I can't stress this enough!

Watch out for unexpected snow storms.

Hiked it yesterday..I would rate it hard because of elevation change. As a person who lives at sea level, I found this harder than Twin Sisters but worth the effort! Made it all the way and just missed being caught underneath an ice slide that gave way above the trail just before the lake.!