Chasm Falls Trail via Old Fall River Road [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(135)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Chasm Falls Trail via Old Fall River Road is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 465 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. CLOSED to Motorized Vehicles October - July 2019 (Bicycles and leashed pets - Opens April 1) When Old Fall River Road is closed, you can easily hike the road up to Chasm Falls. For a road hike there are a surprising number of wildflowers and interesting items to view. From the falls you there is a labyrinth of trails that follow along the river. The view of Horseshoe Park from the curve of the road just above Endovalley is very scenic on a clear morning or evening. You can easily get to the falls by leaving the road at the road's first switchback turn.

Beautiful trail that you are guaranteed to not get lost on in the winter (it’s on a road the whole way). Just hiked it and had great views of the valley and southern mountainside. The falls itself is not much because it is running underneath the snow, but in the summer I would think it is pretty cool. We did see a mother moose with a calf which is rare to see on the east side of the park in the winter, especially with this warm weather- they were in the same spot on the way up and way back and we followed them down the trail for some time on the way back.

icy

Great hike and very surprised that it was not crowded. Some icy spots early in the morning, micro spikes are a good idea. A nice side trip is to the wooded picnic area near the second locked gate. Areas with snow are well packed by previous hikers,snowshoes and skis. Lots of great photo opportunities on the way to and from the falls.

Snowshoes optional. Made it up to the falls trailhead with only hiking shoes but wisely put on spikes down to the falls and back down to the car. Nice quiet hike - we were the only people out there!

Good snowshoe workout. It was snowing the entire time so I couldn’t see a lot of scenery but it definitely got the blood pumping. It was a Sunday and not a lot of people on the trail which was great for RMNP.

Easy hike! I’m surprised it’s listed as moderate. We parked by Alluvial Fan and walked up Old Fall River rd. The road was mostly clear with some snow pack. Spikes would be useful once you reach Chasm Falls trail. I love RMNP and feel there are stunning views everywhere you look so it’s difficult to rate hikes in this park but I’ve gotta go with 3 stars. It’s a good little hike but walking on a paved road takes away some of the “adventure” out of a hike.

Great hike for a family; no traction needed until you get to the falls, but my teenage son didn't even use it there. Nice walk and because it is a road, it was great for our group of 5 because everyone could talk.

fee
icy

Nice photo stop while driving up Old Fall River road.

We were able to park right at the falls. Absolutely stunning!

We drove up and parked near the falls base of the falls since the road was open to vehicles. There's a series of cascading waterfalls here and it's beautiful. Plenty of trail to explore up and down the river near the falls. If you drive to the falls and hike around that area, there is plenty of shade from the trees along the river at that point. On a really busy day in the park, roaming this trail along the river this was a nice quiet getaway from the crowds.

fall River road is open to vehicles now. you can drive to the falls and walk a short way to view

Super easy trail! Not a lot of shade so bring plenty of water on a hot day. The views of the falls and river are great, but there aren’t many spots to stop and see it. Take your time and enjoy the landscape scenery!

Nice falls that you reach via a gravel road. Not as scenic as many other hikes but perfect for a quick second hike excursion in the afternoon.

Great views along the way. Took our 4 kids 6 and under with no trouble. Ask park ranger first as he said there were only certain days you could walk the road even while it’s closed.

Sun May 26 2019

Reasonable quick hike with the kids (4 and 6)

Wed May 15 2019

Visited on May 2nd week. The road was closed for vehicles but was open for public. Weather was good. The falls and surrounding views were great!

Sun May 12 2019

Bike up hard uphill, fly downhill

Sun May 12 2019

Very pretty. I parked at Endovally and walked up. Wind wasnt fun to deal with but falls were worth it. I had the road and falls to myself for good 45 minutes. I decided to just sit at falls for a while since I was only one so my recording is one way.

Sun May 05 2019

Relatively easy hike to the falls, the weather was great today. The trail was clear of snow the entire way.

Tue Apr 30 2019

Fairly deep snow so we rented snow shoes. It continued to snow so we only went a mile up and returned. It was beautiful although hard to see much w the snow.

Sat Apr 13 2019

This hike was okay, you were walking on a road that looks like it is closed for the season for virtually the entire hike. That being said, it did make for an easy hike. There was some incline to get to the falls. The views were very pretty and the falls we pretty. Not sure that I would do this again with so many other hikes in the park.

Wed Apr 10 2019

The waterfall was flowing and the road was dry, little to no snow. (4/9/19) Gorgeous views. Nice uphill walk and workout. The views and way down are definitely a reward. You park in a little campground/lot down the paved road and walk about a mile to where Old Fall Road starts (dirt road), it’s closed to vehicles until end of May I believe, so the walk up is a walk on the road. (the map/mileages starts at Old Fall Road, and doesn’t account for the walk along the closed paved road to the start of the hike). Not a technical hike, just a good walk, but definitely beautiful. The waterfall at the end was calming with a great view. I had it to myself for a good bit. Only saw 7 ppl the 5 miles round trip (car to falls and back). You can continue up on the road past the falls and make it longer. I’d do it again.

Sun Mar 24 2019

I hiked the trail yesterday. The problem with this trail right now is that the waterfall isn’t visible because of all the snow on it. I would pick something else in the park for this week.

Sun Nov 25 2018

Beautiful area

Sun Oct 28 2018

Hiked the road on 10/27/18 as it was closed to vehicles. Needless to say it was a calve killer but worth it!

Thu Oct 04 2018

We drove to the small parking lot by the falls. Very short hike but it is steep. That being said I saw an 80 year old man in his orthotics making the trek. The falls are beautiful! Old Fall river Road is about 9 miles and is a one way road. It has sharp switchbacks and very deep ruts. I mean DEEP. If you are skilled enough to navigate on top of the ruts a car could make it but if not you will bottom it out and be stuck. The SUV in front of me actually attempted to drive in the ruts instead of on top and bottomed out immediately. Luckily he drove in instead of falling in so was able to spin his tires and back out and attempt again. If you don't want to risk it park at the picnic area and hike up.