Chapin Pass Trail to Mount Chapin [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(79)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Chapin Pass Trail to Mount Chapin is a 6.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 6.3 km Elevation Gain: 446 m Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

It was a harder than expected hike for me, but it was worth it. This was the best hike that I have done thus far in RMNP. The views are spectacular. Beauty in every direction. I think I messed up hiking to the summit. By my time calculations I would have thought I would have seen a trail leading off to the summit, so I did some climbing. I made it to the summit, but the harder way it seems. In the end, I don't think I missed the summit trail, but it was still a decent detour.

Easy trail with great views. Our 8 & 10 year old were capable and did the entire thing. We left the trailhead around 9am labor day weekend and there was plenty of parking. Remember your warm clothes it was very windy at the top.

A really beautiful and rewarding hike, with some stunning views. We didn’t make it all the way to the top - tired children and weather closing in - but nevertheless thought this was a highlight of our time in Colorado. We started walking just after 11am - there was parking available nearby on the road. It’s moderately challenging, with quite a lot of the time spent going uphill, but well worth it! We saw two marmots on the way up. And then after a stop where we took in some awesome sweeping views, we headed back down. Worth taking care on the way down as it can be a bit tricky underfoot. Take your time!

I really loved this hike. I was worried about the altitude since I live at 510 ft above sea level but I didn’t have a problem. We took our time on the more up hill portions of the trail (which are the beginning and very end) and that helped a lot. We took the high route up and I recommend doing that - better views, too! Also, it is VERY windy, especially on the summit. Be prepared for this! One of our favorite hikes we did in the park - highly recommend! Also - parking along side the road was available. It was not like other parts of the park that fill up by 6 am. We arrived around 9:00 am and there were multiple places for a car to park on the left side of the road. Even after we finished around 1:30 pm there were spots available. The road itself is busier at that time but still some spots.

Beautiful views, trail starts in forest then on to a rocky path with views of the valley below. Saw a herd of Elk, a moose, and lots of marmots. Got caught in a storm with rain and hail but it was still worth the hike. Bring layers, gets very windy after the forest. Took us about 2.5 hours to go up and 1.5 hrs.

Had to turn back before getting to the top due to thunderstorms. Still one of the best trails in the park. Saw 15 bull elk in the valley of Chaplin, very cool. Went 2.5 miles in 3 hours, very steep inclines.

Four stars because the wind was 50-60 mph towards the top. My wife and I are very selfish when it comes to the wind. lol. Not enjoyable in the slightest for the last mile up. Great trail. Saw the four biggest elk I have ever seen. Marmots and pikas also. Great views up top. You will have to drive back on Trail ridge road after the hike since the road is one way only to get to the trail-head. Loved the hike. HATED the wind.

Some important information about Old Fall River Road (where the trailhead is located): 1) It is only open certain times of the year (this year it opened on July 12 2019 I believe) 2) THIS IS A ONE WAY ROAD, UPHILL. If google / Apple maps routes you up to the welcome center then back down, you cannot do that! If you want to park at the trailhead, you should take Old Fall River Road all the way up. It’s very beautiful. The trail itself is wonderful I highly recommend it! Took about 3 hours total. I took 3L of water, which was too much. Enjoy :)

Tue Sep 25 2018

9/23 A very enjoyable scenic trip. We parked about 100 yards before the trail head. Recommend taking lower route up and upper route down. It gets very steep at the end so be prepared to take some breaks. Very very windy so dress in lots of layers. Fantastic views at the top. Took us about three hours and we used 2 L of water per person.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Took about three hours to complete, two out and one hour on the return trip. Took upper path on the accent, and descended via the lower trail. Great views almost the entire hike. Advise getting to the trail head pre 7am as parking is very limited on the Old Fall River Rd near the trail head.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Spent the evening on the trail and I had a wonderful time, made it in time to see the sunset and turn right back around. Lots of wildlife - kind of intimidating walking by fauna that stand taller than you do, so remember to carry a headlamp if you intend on adventuring past dusk. Pretty moderate overall, couldn’t recommend it more, just keep an eye on the weather

Wed Jul 11 2018

It has everything!…forest trails, treeless rocky paths, a comfortable lower route to the summit and INCREDIBLE VIEWS AT THE TOP! It’ll take you longer than the app says. At least it did for me!

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great trail. Moderate. Enjoyed the view and lots of marmot up top.

Thu Jul 05 2018

Beautiful views and chances to see a variety of wildlife along the way. The last 1/4 mile or so to the summit of Mt. Chapin is a rather challenging scramble. Just choose a reasonable looking spot and start heading up. Stick to the rocks where possible to avoid damaging the tundra.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Excellent hike! Beautiful! Very unpopular so very little crowd. We saw a small group of elks at the valley near the summit.

Fri May 25 2018

This is such a beautiful hike we did back in 2013 the day before our Longs Peak climb. Be sure to continue on to Mt. Chiquita where the views are just amazing. Get there before 8 a.m. to get one of the few parking spots along Old Fall River Road.

Mon Dec 04 2017

Great hike. Very windy at the top, but worth the view.

Wed Sep 27 2017

Nice trail beware of high winds

Sat Sep 02 2017

We had to turn back because a storm was coming but we made it most of the way so I'm counting it. It was beautiful up there.

Sun Aug 20 2017

Easy access to high altitudes. Some steep parts. Great views. Took us 3 hrs.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Low traffic, great views at the top, nice mix of forest, fields, exposure. Very windy (hiked it twice), bring layers.

Sun Jul 30 2017

An intermediate hike that takes a total of 4 hours. Mount Chapin has some great views from the top!

Sun Jul 16 2017

Great hike with breathtaking views at the top! Difficult when still adjusting to the altitude, but good mix of flat/steep terrain. The summit was a great place for a picnic

Mon Jul 03 2017

Beautiful.

Tue Sep 20 2016

Challenging with great views! Temperature changes rapidly so bring layers!!! Gloves especially. took about an hour and 20 minutes to get to the top!

Sun Mar 15 2015

Nice hike high up in Rocky Mountain National Park. 1999 -aug.