Learn more

Challenge Hill Blue Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(185)
Philip S. Miller Park

Challenge Hill Blue Loop Trail is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Castle Rock, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 173 feet Route Type: Loop

200 glorious steps to the top of the Hill. There is an option to hike down the from the top. Dogs are not allowed on the steps.

Great exercise for a beginner! Saw lots of people climbing the stairs more than once. The trail down offers more than one way just in case you want to walk more. We ended up doing two miles in total... will definitely do it again.

recorded Challenge Hill Blue Loop Trail

Pretty easy one. We ended up climbing it 5 times. Also saw a deer on the trail back.

Hot & Windy didn’t help. The 8.5 miles and ~2k in elevation before this didn’t help either.

Always a fun work it off in the sun run.

Aloha inter webs, I am out of shape but this was fun. Good views from the top. I will be back to do this one again when I do the other trails in this area. Maybe even hit up the zip line tour that is right here by the trails. #letsgoforawalk

Excellent training hill for the back country ascends...

A bit muddy but not too bad. Incline had slush but not slick.

The stairs and trail was very snowy and wet but still doable with caution. Yak tracks and waterproof shoes would have been nice for today!

Nice sunny day. Stairs were dry, most of the trail was dry with a few mud spots.

icy

Great trail! Beautiful views and 200 steps to the top. We did it twice and took the hike down once but opted to take the stairs done the last time bc the hike down got icy. No dogs. Definitely recommend!!

12/13/2019 - We walked up the "mini-incline." It only took about 10 minutes with a couple breaks. The top provided a nice view, but a very small area once at the top. It was an ok area to see some nice views at the top with little effort to get there, but there were parking lots and roads all around so not the best place if you want a "mountain hike.”

icy

Great short hike for a quick workout! 200 stairs to the top makes it much more doable than the Incline and easier to repeat. Decent view from the top. Great park across the street with workout equipment too!

mini manitou incline

Great trail for a morning lower body workout. If you’re training for climbing definitely is great. Also very good views and is around many other things like the Mac, Phillip S Miller Park, the Amphitheater, and much more. Great for anyone who lives in Castle Rock to regularly visit. But also great for people who live further.

A good place to train to do a 14er. Today did 4 full trips up the incline and a 5th that started at step 125ish.

I come here alone or baby wearing. It is a good hill to climb and push yourself.,

Another HOT summer afternoon.

This was road biking to the challenge hill hiking, with calisthenics between climbing up & down, to urban trail riding, then road .... then done. HOT Day!

Good trail to get a quick lower body workout.

Sun Jul 07 2019

It’s a workout!!

Sun May 19 2019

Nice workout. Challenge hill is fairly busy, but the rest of the loop is less busy.

Mon Apr 29 2019

Completed 4/28. When I approached the stairs, I thought to myself “are you sure?”. Got to about step 50 and I was breathing heavy and thought to myself “what did you get yourself into?”. At step 70, it started getting easier or I was more motivated. By step 110, I thought “I’m almost to the top”. Reached step 20” and I was like “is that it?”. The trail down is easy. I was able to tackle the stairs in less than 10 minutes. At the top of the hills, I caught my breath and enjoyed the view. Took about 10 minutes to walk down the bottom. Will need to do this a few times before I am ready for Manitou Incline. This park would be a great place for the family. Not only does it have the hill challenge and 6 miles of trails, there is zip lining, obstacle courses, soccer fields, playgrounds, etc. great place to spend an afternoon for all ages. Park is dog friendly however the challenge hill is not.

Sat Oct 27 2018

I love living close by so I can do this hike any time! You can make this as easy or as hard as you want by doing it multiple times and even running up the steps (if you’re used to the altitude)

Wed Jun 20 2018

Fun hike. Steps are hand made. You can do several repetitions.

Wed Jun 06 2018

Fun loop to get the blood moving, we enjoy jogging down the trail after the climb.