Centennial Cone Trail

Centennial Cone Trail is a 13.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

On weekends, you can only ride on even numbered days. During the week, it is multi-use and you can ride any of those days. There is a seasonal closure of the Elk Range trail, usually during late spring/early summer. Be sure to check and make sure this portion of the trail is open. Otherwise, you have to ride up Douglas Mountain Road to Camino Perdido Road to the north parking lot to rejoin the other end of the Travois Trail. This trail is a great mix of open meadows with rocky strenuous areas. There are only three creeks for water for dogs so bring lots of water. Centennial Cone Park is one of the largest parks in the Jefferson County Open Space system. The park offers visitors a vast, back country-type experience. When setting out to enjoy this expansive park, plan accordingly for your own health and safety.

***** NOTE THIS PARK IS CLOSED UNTIL JANUARY 31 2018*****

Amazing views the entire hike. Perfect for a fall hike when you want some sun

beware alternate schedule here. just showed up and no hiking allowed today. bikes only

This logged 10.8 miles for me. I went counterclockwise and it was a good mix of ups and downs. Saw about 10 people hiking/running/biking on a tuesday midday. Did this one solo and seemed safe. Never saw any animals or tracks. Id say its on the low side of moderate. I got caught in a thunderstorm though for about 2/3 of the hike so that was unfortunate. Will def do again on a sunnier day. Theres also 2 lots for parking. No fees. Just check the hike/bike days for the weekends. Otherwise weekdays are fair game! I posted the map too!

Our first hike/trail in Denver! Loved it. Very little shade. Wide trail. Gorgeous views. We saw a caribou! So quiet and peaceful. The buses out in the field threw us off, but we used them for a break from the sun. Saw about 10 people the whole time. Can't wait to come back!

awesome trail. beautiful wildflowers and cacti all along the trail. took travious trail, just under 5 miles in and out. will Def come back.

I had a little bit of a time limit, so I wasn't able to do the whole thing, but I walked out and back probably about 5 miles or so on the Travois trail. The wild flowers were poppin', and on the way back, I took the Evening Sun Loop and saw lots of blooming cacti, which I love. Some pretty good views, too, from what I saw. Not super strenuous, but there is very little shade, and since it was 98 degrees today, the sun was fairly intense at times. Bring LOTS of water, sunscreen, and a hat.

Got my first hike in this beautiful park this weekend. Amazing views and spirit inspiring challenge for new hikers. I only completed about 5 miles of its great loop. I suggest anyone looking for a low trafficed hike. Start with Cone Park, you will not forget it!

I rather liked this trail. Take the pass around called Evening Overlook. Yes, Elk Trail is currently closed for rutting. This trail had nice open areas and scenic overlooks. Close to Denver which is nice.

You currently cannot complete this loop. Elk Range Trail is closed until after June 15th. Also don't forget alternating weekend days for hikers and bikers. We wound up doing about 8.5 miles out and back on Travois Trail. Keep in mind most of Travois Trail is pretty exposed so plan ahead for the weather. Not much water for four legged friend. We only crossed a creek twice. Well kept trails with some decent views. Don't expect any AHA moments (maybe the views are better on Elk Ridge Trail). Steady up and down throughout the hike but nothing very strenuous. Saw lots of runners and the trails started to get a little crowded in the afternoon.

Elk Range Trail is closed until June 15, meaning this functions as an out and back. Check schedule for alternating hiking / biking days. Gradual elevation changes throughout.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Beautiful views! I'm not the biggest trail runner but did the 13.3 mile loop going counterclockwise as the app suggests. The last 3 miles were rough but other than that there are no significant inclines and the whole thing is definitely "run-able". Went mid November and there were some slush/snowy stretches but the majority of it was open to the sun and dry. Definitely be sure to check the alternating date schedule!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I took the first four miles out and back from the first parking lot from Golden. I love that one weekend day is pedestrians only. It was nice not worrying about mountain bikes flying up behind me. The views were incredible and I only saw a handful of people. I wouldn't say this was an easy run. The plowed trail slopes in and wore on my feet after a while because I couldn't land flat. The trail was also quite rocky, which made it difficult as a new trail runner. There isn't a lot of shade either. All things considered this is a good trail.

Friday, July 15, 2016

I had a great time on this trail. There is some uphill but the downhill makes it all worth it. Watch out for super dry terrain, my bike slid out and I took a little tumble. Other than that the breeze is fantastic and the greenier makes it all the better.

Monday, July 11, 2016

It was challenging but do able for me.Took me 3 hrs, but I stopped quite a bit. Not crowded at all, even on a busy summer weekend everywhere else. There was only 3-4 cars in the parking lot. I'm a beginner - lower intermediate rider. I rode clockwise and I was able to complete all the ascents without walking my bike.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

This was a fantastic hike. Throughout the 12 miles I probably only saw about 10 people, so it's very lightly trafficked.
This trail alternates every Saturday and Sunday between biking and hiking. I was lucky because I happened to drive out there and it was a hiking day.
This trail offered so many great views of the mountains but also beautiful meadows and rolling hills as well.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Fantastic hike that really fits if you're looking for a mild hike with great variety, plants and views. Going from the prarie filled foothills to the steep ledges of the rockies is a real treat.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

We did traverse for about 5 miles then came back. Elk ridge was shut down unfortunately or else we would do the full loop. We will probably go back when that opens

Friday, October 16, 2015

I did this trail with my girlfriend the second week of October, on a weekday. We started off at the west entrance, i.e. Douglas Mtn Road, and did the Elk Range to Travois loop. My watch registered 12.4 miles total, with 1900 ft of elevation gain. It took us about 4.5 hours, which included a stop for lunch.

The trail was great and very quiet, we saw 4 people total. There were views of beautiful wide open meadows, steep canyons, and some creek crossings. I would definitely recommend this hike as a metro area day trip.

As far as difficulty goes, it was an easy 12.4 mile hike, not an easy hike. Realize that the distance is on the long side for a day hike, set aside 4+ hours, and take it easy and enjoy the solitude and views. The elevation gain was minimal and spread out, I enjoyed the gradual ups and downs. It was a hike I would take my ambitious sea level friends on.

Lastly, I think this is a great trail for a runners to get in some long slow distance. I definitely will head back out to run it.