Catamount Falls Trail

Catamount Falls Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Decent trail but you have to hike 3/4 of a mile up the road to get to the trailhead and the lake at the end is full of people who just got in their car and drove there.

Great Trail winding up and down along the creek with cool waterfall. It's easy to lose the trail when you have to cross the creek. The yellow marker is easy to see after you cross the creek.

This was a fun yet very challenging hike! It says moderate but the hilly roads you have to climb just to get to the trailhead and then to the reservoir make it difficult. The meadow along the creek is beautiful once you climb the switchbacks. It seems like the never ending hike but we pushed ourselves with the encouragement of other hikers making their way back! Because we hadn’t anticipated such a long hike we didn’t get to enjoy the reservoir that much and would much rather drive to enjoy it next time. It took us 2+ hours, so be prepared!

Fantastic trail that takes you over 1,500 ft where you can look out over 24-West. Once you reach the top, you can descend from the large rocks via the southwest side and follow a trail along a small creek that feeds a waterfall. The trail will take you along some great flowers and scenic mountains to the west. However, make sure you follow the trail out that you came in. I took a trail connected to the Catamount but it turned out to be treacherous, which caused me to walk through part of a waterfall to get to better ground. Stick to the marked trails and you won’t be disappointed.

amazing hike!

I don’t really see the appeal of this trail. The walk up dirt road to the trailhead is just not worth it. It’s a lot of climbing to only get a short walk through a meadow and then you have to share a road with cars only to arrive at an underwhelming reservoir you could have just driven to. There are so many beautiful hikes in Colorado, I recommend choosing something else.

Great hike. Very beautiful. it was a little hard to find the right path to the trailhead, but once we found it it was great from there. Most of it is shaded. Lots of little streams and waterfalls. Just be sure to bring lots of water!

Nice Trail keep your eyes on the trail markers pretty easy to lose the trail in several spots. Be prepared for weather. We hit a hail storm on the way back down took shelter in some rocks and trees. The hardest part is the hill to the trail head. You have to park at the bottom of the road and walk the dirt road. Interesting houses along the way though.

Wonderful hike! My 3 year old made it up to the reservoir but coming back down was a little much. Other than that loved everything about it. Definitely be back!

Challenging but very rewarding. I didn’t know you can simply drive to the reservoir. Hiking on roads are not my favorite but did not regret this one.

Beautiful and mostly shaded!
I loved it. There were a few challenging spots for me, but overall a great hike and nothing I couldn’t handle.
The streams, waterfalls and meadow were absolutely stunning

Beautiful views, first half is primarily switchbacks up a mountain and the 2nd half lands you in a gorgeous meadow before coming out to the reservoir. Truly captures the beauty that Colorado has to offer. GO DO THIS HIKE!

Park at the bottom on the dirt pull off. Cross the road to get to the dirt road. This was honestly longer and more difficult than I expected just to get to the trailhead. Go through the fence, even if it looks like you shouldn’t. There is a waterfall on the left, and follow the blue dots on the trees. The first blue dot is directly past the waterfall above the trailhead sign. There is also a yellow dot on the same tree. Overall, very well marked. Once you get to the next fence, the road splits and you need to follow the right side! Take a snack to reward yourself by the reservoir.

One of my favs! Follow through to the Garden of Eden and you won’t be disappointed. We did run into a mama bear and her cubs in the creek through that section on June 26, so keep your pups leashed.

awesome trail

I love this trail. Bring plenty of water! I screwed up the first time and didn’t. I was well prepared this time.

The stream the whole way up is great. From the parking lot to the trail head is about .8 miles. From the trail head to the top is about a mile and a half and you’ll hit right at 1k foot elevation gain. After that it is pretty mellow trail. I went 7 miles this last weekend to the south reservoir and back.

My ACD and mini American Eskimo loved it. The American Eskimo was a trooper but struggled keeping up on the way back.

This hike is amazingly beautiful. The route is a little hard to follow. Park at the bottom of the road near the stream and walk about a mile up a dirt road until you get to the water plant. it looks like nothing and as if you're not supposed to enter. But once you do you'll see a waterfall on the left and then a few trails. follow the blue dots for the reservor. once you loose the dots you come to a road and its very confusing but stay to the right and follow the road up then across the street you'll arrive at the reservoir. beautiful views and waterfalls!

I love this app! Someone’s review on here mentioned Hondo Ave to take to get to the trail. It’s not really marked well where the trail starts but it definitely has no trail hiking parking warning signs everywhere as you follow Hondo Ave up to the trail. The trail once we got there was very easy to follow. Some spots not as easy as others but relatively easy to figure where to go if you accidentally took a wrong path. Just an FYI it is a moderate hike and the incline going up can be a little challenging for some but once you get past that it’s a pretty nice flat walk for a little while then more incline. We took a wrong turn when coming out onto the dirt path to get to the reservoir, it’s the path on the right not left. When heading back be sure to watch out for loose dirt and rocks along with slick rocks due to it being kind of steep at times getting down. Otherwise this was an amazing hike and I will definitely be doing it again! My pups loved it by the way highly recommend it for any furry kiddos to join.

Finding the trailhead was a bit difficult for me and they are very particular about parking in that area. I’d suggest getting a map by the gazebo before you hit the trails. Also, know that you have to walk up Hondo Ave. to get to the trailhead. It’s an uphill dirt road. But once you get to the trail, it’s a lovely hike. I saw a fox and a few deer. The reservoir is stunning. I enjoyed it

The reservoir is stunning. Well worth the hike

Beautiful hike. The trail is well marked until you reach the look out point. The blue dot to continue to the meadow is located on the side of a post in the ground which got a bit confusing. The meadow is beautiful and there is a stream the trail follows for most of it. Definitely go early as the trail becomes quite busy around midday. Reaching the reservoir was great for a rest. snacks and shade or more trails if you want to keep walking!

Amazing trail and the meadow is spectacular. We did 7.8 miles total including the walk up Belvedere to the trail head and a bit at the reservoir. As others have noted the first third is the hardest and the last half mile or so is along a dirt road with vehicle traffic.

Beautiful! Not many sweeping views but a fun early part of the hike (somewhat steep and a little rocky but not a crazy incline). Once you get past the incline there’s a BEAUTIFUL meadow and stream. You’ll come to a road, follow it to the right up to the Catamount reservoir, which is where you WILL get amazing views of the lake and the peak! Taking our time, took about 3 hours. Despite lack of sweeping views (which is usually what I personally go for) it was an absolutely beautiful and serene hike. Very “naturey.” Would 100% do it again. And again and again :)

This was a hard hike for me. We parked along the lower road and walked up a steep road just to get to the trailhead. The hike was rocky and steep the entire time. I would highly recommend trekking poles and hiking boots. We didn't make it to the reservoir because I was over all the rocks and incline. On a positive note the waterfall was beautiful.

One of my favorites! Go all the way to the reservoir for amazing views! Nice aspens in the fall too.

Absolutely loved this hike! The first .7 miles is along Hondo Ave. The trail is steep, narrow, and rocky in sections, but the scenery is amazing.

Awesome hike! We did a lap around the lake and added 5 miles and some bushwhacked a bit.

Beautiful scenery! Loved the waterfall. Trail was marked clearly . Will do this again

Loved this hike. It was hard but had everything, Cliffside trails,rocky terrain,Meadows, multiple waterfalls,gurgling streams and then finish with the reservoir and great view of the mountains. This was my first solo hike and it did not disappoint, I am pretty sore a few days later still!

This hike starts off with a steep climb on a dirt road from parking area to trailhead of .6 miles. Then the first mile is moderately hard and rocky. Then you get to this beautiful meadow and it is worth the hike. After the meadow is another moderate climb to a road that leads to the reservoir. Pretty view of the mountains behind the reservoir. Great challenging hike with great views. No snow and only a little mud. Nice amount of small waterfalls which present great opportunities for nature photos. We will do this hike again!