Castle Trail

Castle Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indian Hills, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2037 feet

Fun and athletic hike

Don't see this in Florida

Amazing experience trails are fun!!

I did the east access part of this trail a few years ago and was not impressed- it was very exposed with no shade. I did the west access trails today and liked it. I hiked Castle Trail, Old Ute Loop, Devils Elbow, Meadow back to Castle. It was 5 miles and a good workout- lots of ascents. Nice views from Devils Elbow and Meadow trails; wildflowers as well as some shaded areas. It is a popular area but there was about 1 hr where I did not see anyone else on the trail so it depends on which routes you take.

The Walker home site was interesting.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Friday, June 10, 2016

Great hike! Lots of other trails to branch out on. The "castle" is cool to check out.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Monday, March 21, 2016

This hike was a blast! I am in town visiting for the week and found this hike on the all trails app... I'm really glad I chose this one. I am a regular hiker and this gave me a good workout but wasn't a killer. I hiked the castle trail all the way up to the castle, about 3.5 miles up.

The trail is a nice steady incline the entire way. The first part of the hike is without shade and has a lot of switchbacks, so you gain elevation pretty quickly. About a mile and a quarter up the switchbacks end and you are hiking back into the canyon. This is where the trees become present. Around this area you will come to a break in the trail where you can continue up on castle trail or go down turkey trot trail and back to the trailhead. I continued up castle trail. Again , for a little while there is no trees so it could get really hot on a midsummer day. The view of Denver is nice and you also have a good view of the red rocks amphitheater. Once you get father up, about 2.5 mi into the hike, you come into some trees again. I love this part of the hike. The trail up here is pretty much flat. Once you pass the pergola, you can continue on castle trail for another half mile and you will reach the castle. It wasn't what I expected but it was cool to see. The story Behind the castle is displayed on a sign and was interesting to read. I won't spoil it for you, just go up there and check it out. On my way back down, I branched off onto 'walkers dream', it's a short walk and really pretty, if you're up there and can handle adding about a little extra distance to your hike, check it out. I got to see a little family of deer bouncing down below as I ate a banana on a little bench and just observed the view. It was a nice break. When I came back down, I branched off and took the turkey trot trail back to the car. I really enjoyed this part of the hike and an very glad that I went that way. This part of the trail goes back into the canyon and is almost completed shaded with large trees. Since it's in the back of the canyon it's pretty secluded, unlike when hiking in the foothills. If I lived in the area I would definitely do the castle trail / turkey trot loop as a regular hike for my dogs. After going up castle rock to the castle, checking out walkers dream and going back down turkey trot, the total distance was 8.8 miles. There is no water on the trail at all, so bring water especially if you bring your dogs, they will need it! There are plenty of places to sit down and rest, make sure you have some time to linger, bring lunch and some water and enjoy!