Cascade Creek Trail to Mirror Lake and Crater Lake

Cascade Creek Trail to Mirror Lake and Crater Lake is a 13.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Elkdale, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Permits required for overnight camping June-Mid September, designated sites only. No campfires allowed. Dogs on leash only.

An absolutely wonderful hike with beautiful scenery the entire way- waterfalls, meadows, and snow capped peaks. Unfortunately, I did not see any moose. Mellow elevation gain with level stretches that let my tired knees recover. I am an avid hiker, and I’d say this is the best hike I’ve ever done. The hike to Crater Lake is 16 miles, so start early and make sure you make it back before sundown.

@colorado_mountain_man on Instagram

Awesome hike, very exhausting by well worth it!! Got to see some Moose!

One of the most beautiful hikes I've done in CO! It's long but because of that the elevation gain is gradual, making it easy to enjoy the beautiful scenery! Waterfalls, wildflowers, aspens, multiple types of terrain. So good! Even saw some moose. Trailhead still had plenty of parking at 8am. I'd say this is a must do in CO!

Great hike with lots of wildlife. I've done this trail now 3 times and it never disappoints. Lots of moose to be seen on this trail as well as beautiful views.

Beautiful hike! Too bad I picked the haziest day of the year for this one, it kind of spoiled the view. We left the trailhead just before 7am and arrived back at the car just before 3. 8hrs, 15.5 miles including side adventures.

My friends and I took on this bad boy on Saturday morning and although it was the longest hike we've ever done in a single day, it was well worth it.

We camped the night at Willow Creek Campground and started our journey around 7:30 am. We saw very few people trying to complete the out-and-back trek in a single day, but quite a few backpackers who stayed at Pawnee Lake the night before. There were a plethora of water features along the way, including Cascade Falls, which was incredibly peaceful, as you can go directly up to the falls and get a little wet if you feel inclined.

We reached Mirror Lake around 11 am and had the whole place to ourselves for at least 30 minutes, which was nice. My buddy even went for a swim! It was hard to leave such a magnificent site and the reflection of Lone Eagle Peak in the motionless body of water made it seem almost unreal. It was truly a picture perfect day and the tiny bit of cloud cover allowed me to capture an amazing pic of the peak reflecting off the lake.

We made it back to our car around 3:30 pm, making the round trip total around 8 hours, which included some down time at the lake. This was an absolutely breathtaking hike and I would certainly do it again. However, next time I would camp the night at the lake just to make it a bit more manageable.

Awesome hike! Follows a creek with tons of waterfalls and goes through some amazing meadows. The view from Crater Lake is incredible. I did this as a day hike, not sure I would recommend that. It took us 7 hours of walking total, which can be quite a challenge at that kind of altitude. Staying the night is definitely the way to go.

Simply put one of the most picture perfect Colorado hikes, waterfall after waterfall, moose encounters finishing in an epic basin with Lone Eagle Peak.

Just got home from this hike and had to post a review! This hike was awesome! The wildflowers are blooming up by both lakes. The hike was long, but not hard. After the trail climbs uphill, it levels out before going uphill again, so it wasn't 8 miles of continuous uphill hiking. The waterfalls were roaring. There was one difficult creek crossing where I had to navigate part way on tree branches. My tracker said 16.15 miles total and it took 6.16 hours to complete. No bugs, didn't see much wildlife - only two deer. Most of the downed trees had been cleared from the path.