Cascade Creek 4x4 Road

Cascade Creek 4x4 Road is a 12 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Loop route winds through complex network of roads This loop passes through a network of mountain roads between Georgetown and Idaho Springs. It is surrounded by residential property on all sides. We've chosen to enter via Cascade Creek Road because it passes less private property and offers parking for unlicensed vehicles. High Point 11,050 ft., Best time to go: Late June-early October. Located in Arapaho National Forest. For current conditions call Clear Creek Ranger district (303) 567-3000 Very rocky and slow-going. Should only be attempted by the most aggressive stock SUVs with skid plates and high ground clearance. We've done it in our stock Grand Cherokee, but it was brutal.

off road driving

1st half of the loop counter clockwise is pretty mellow forest roads, second half is pretty rocky with some fun switchbacks and obstacles both up and downhill.
1st gen Tacoma with 33’s and a 3” lift was good to go, no clearance issues. 4 low in 1st-2nd gear most of the time. Pretty views and some fun stuff to see on the trail. Thought I’d see other rigs there on a Saturday morning but I was alone the whole time (6-16-18)

**BE ADVISED**- there should be a waypoint for the 710.1 turnoff on the AllTrails map, but there isn’t. If you’re going counterclockwise on the loop, it’s about a half mile southwest of the spring creek intersection. The sign will be on your left hand side. If you follow the red line given on the map at that point, you will go off course. 710.1 is the trail that will lead you back to hwy 103. As other people mentioned, get AllTrails pro or equivalent so you don’t get lost.

off road driving

Only went a up past the creek to the left and then to the abandoned mine? The other way to the right. Was a little short on time but had a few decent climbs. Defiantly gonna do the whole loop next time.

off road driving

Ran this last week in our stock Sahara with 32” Goodrich ATs. We went counter clockwise. Still very new to off roading but managed just fine up to the first waypoint. There are some amazing views for sure. We continued on and missed the first hard right switchback because we were looking at some dried up puddles and roundabout areas to the left. We continued up hill on a bypass that was way out of our capabilities. Would have been fine for a quad or bike or even another 3” clearance.

We doubled back and found the trail and continued up to the abandoned town area. Couldn’t find the town. Didn’t look too hard. Again, amazing views, road wasn’t too tough. We will definitely come back to camp along here at some point.

About half-way through we could not find the turn off to continue SW off Saxon Peak rd. Our gps and the map showed Saxon Peak rd ending so we backed up looking for the left hand turn. I can almost swear it doesn’t exist. We were very confused and went back to the junction of Lamartine road and saw a sign for Georgetown.

We bailed on the route and headed off trying to get back to civilization instead of doubling all the way back to where we started.

Hind sight 20/20: we wouldn’t have done this without a crew of people. Our friends bailed last minute so the plan was to have more people. Would have been good to have another set of eyes/brains.

The road down into Georgetown was very difficult and probably pretty dangerous with loose rock and signs of landslides all over the top portion.

21 switchbacks, 4 clenched sets of white knuckles, and 1 lost wallet later, we made it into Georgetown. Don’t do what we did. Be smart. We found the upper limit of what we are capable of in our current rig. Also, if you do find a black wallet, my business card is in there. Hit me up!

Stock 2018 Subaru Crosstrek:

Did this trail by accident on the way to Mt. Evans. I saw a spiderweb of trials on the gps and turned offroad.

Went up the first switchback and kept left up the Mt. Road. Got to where there is a destroyed shed directly below the trail and one next to the trail that's full of trash and bullet holes. To the left was sketchy metal door with the bars bent.

30 yards ahead we decided not to try our luck on the rocks so we parked by the shed and walked a bit to get some photos, but turned around to head back down since the sun was gonna set soon.

I need some better tires and maybe a life before really going at it. Only scraped one time on the way out near the end.

off road driving

Haha wow! It’s a good intermediate trail unless you miss the hairpin switchback at the first lookout point after the old mine shaft.

Continuing on the obvious trail straight ahead gets tough really quick! I made it about a quarter mile on 33s and 3” lift on my Tacoma and needed the rear locker twice. It’s fun, but probably the hardest trail I’ve done, and without a spotter and a winch I gave up after that!

The turn I should have taken was obvious on the way back down. +1 for downloading the map first!!

off road driving

Very nice trail, some of end was not on google maps and saw signs no tresspassing so too back route to goergetown, which in a jeep was a little sketchy. As We had to get within inch of cliff a couple times.

Lots of history, and scenic views.

Advise, get Pro for this trip very limited reception.

a few spots that are tricky but mostly easily transverable. nowhere near as rocky as tincup pass to buana vista, or trail to Hanhs peak, but just as enjoyable. was usualy in 4low 4th gear due to ocassional ice n snow.

2003 TJ on 33 with lift.

I did get stuck on one portion but looking at map was not suggested route, so partner or winch suggested.

off road driving

Conditions were some snow, but drier than I was expecting (snowing tomorrow). Only saw a couple ATVs the whole time. Pretty rocky and slow, I didn't have any issues except hitting skid plate once and almost losing some factory mudflaps, your going to want some ground clearance. I took a wrong turn from Spring Gulch and ended up here starting at the Lamertine mine, but did most of it (counterclockwise). There is a last bit of the loop for about .5 mile that is pretty creepy,private property signs posted on trail, feels like you shouldn't be driving through there, property with tall wood fences and old trucks sitting around, feels unsettling. Rest of the trail was a blast. Some signs hard to spot and easy to take the wrong way.
1992 Land Cruiser, no lift on 34s, no sway bars, center diff lock, open axles.

off road driving

trail is harder than when i did it ~5 years ago (01 xterra/32"/1.5" lift) which i thought was great. it has a pretty perfect amount of medium obstacles, i had to think a couple times, got out a couple times (was solo in rain) but made everything first try. the trail isn't crazy on views but you get a couple and the old mine equipment and buildings are cool. definitely check out the lamartine mine, its not far, and its a total playground. when i got there it was DEEP fog and i got pretty nervous about my judgement so i didn't mess around too much. from what i saw it looked like i could've had fun there for at least an hour. seemed endless hills and holes and just trails everywhere. if you'd like to see a video of the obstacles i have 75% of the loop up at:

and the last 25% in reverse the day before at:

07 ranger manual
33"
33psi
bilsteins
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

Rocky. Tried with a stock wrangler, ended up turning around as some parts were too difficult. Lots of no trespassing signs. Kind of a creepy vibe like we were being watched.

off road driving

Very rocky, creepy mineshaft and eerie feeling that someone is watching you...other than that the views are fantastic!

off road driving

Awesome trail. Took jeep up and saw a couple others not much traffic. One guy said his Jeep was stuck and that it wasn't a loop. He didn't stay on trail listed and ended up in really loose gravel up top of side trail. If you stay on loop it's a really fun drive. Nothing crazy but we're some climbs and rocks. Good trail to start with for sure.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Moderate? Too much for my '01 TJ with no winch or lift. I have some significant size off road tires but you'll need extra equipment or 3-5" lift to complete this. Off season erosion may have turned this into a high difficulty level trail. Damage likely, I know I got some and I saw plenty of other fender and bumper pieces. Yikes!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Super fun trail. I would definitely recommend a high clearance 4x4 for some areas. The aspens are awesome. I will say that the trail is not that clearly market so just pay attention and you will be fine. Average speed was about 3.5 mph so plan accordingly. Happy jeeping!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Great trip! If your looking for an area you can spend the entire day this is it! As decribed if you get off the "main trail" you can get lost for hours. (Fun) My daughter and I spent about 6 hours driving the area. We found some pretty good 4x4 obsticles, off the main trail and found some great places to camp in the future. With that said we stayed on all established roads! Very important to "Stay the Trail" !!

Thursday, June 01, 2017