Carpenter Peak Trail

Carpenter Peak Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Castle Rock: Travel northwest on Highway 85 toward Sedalia. Continue approximately 6 miles past Sedalia to Titan Road. (Before the left turn on to Titan Road is a sign for Roxborough State Park.) Follow Titan Road as it turns into Rampart Range Road and leads you to Roxborough Road and the park entrance.

Very beautiful scenery

We chose the 3.1 mile trail up to Carpenter Peak. The park lists it as being a strenuous trail. I would say it is more of a moderately difficult trail with a couple of areas being more on the strenuous side. The main drawback is large portions of the trail have no tree coverage, so it can get hot. Also, there is no way to refill water bottles once you leave the visitor's center, so make sure you bring adequate amounts with you.

Once we made it to the Peak, we were met with 360 degrees of amazing views. You can even see downtown Denver out in the distance.

Roxborough was a great place to spend the day out in nature. There is enough challenge to really get a great workout, but the elevation (7160 ft) isn't so punishing for those who are still working up to higher elevations and longer distances.

I took my kids in this hike and while the view at the top was pretty the view the rest of the hike is the same. Also, this is a 3.5 mile uphill hike. Paths are well maintained. Several people told us to take the power line trail to do a circle instead of an out and back. Wow. More uphill and not a lot to see. I recommend that you take the same way down that you took up. The red rocks are pretty but I would not do this again. Our total round trip hike was 9 miles. We did see quite a few deer.

This was a fun trail! Was a little nervous that it was marked strenuous but it wasn’t too bad at all. We went on a really HOT day so when we weren’t in shade, it was a bit uncomfortable. But other than that; the views were great. Not too crowded either.

Perfect amount of incline and distance for a beautiful Sunday. Park calls is difficult but it’s definitely moderate with just over 6 miles round trip. Start early on these hot days!

I wouldnt say this is a strenuous trail but it is a good amount for an enjoyable and challenging hike. Amazing views and a bit of a history lesson with all of the different Layers or rock. The best views are seen while going up and down and when you get to the top it’s a chill spot with trees and a bench! Not too crowded on a Thursday!

Good light trail. Busy after 10a.

I hiked Carpenters Peak Trail on Saturday, June 9th and thoroughly enjoyed it. Let me preface by saying in case you don't know, Roxborough State Park does not open until 7 a.m.so I had to wait 55 minutes until they opened. As hot as it is I would think they would open earlier because this is not a hike to do in the afternoon when it's in the 90's as there is very little protection (sporadically) from the sun.

I did the lollipop over to Powerline Trail into Pike National Forest down to Elk Valley Trail and back over to Carpenters Peak Trail.

Views on the way up (3.1 miles) are excellent and the view from the top of the peak is outstanding.

A couple trail notes follow the trail toward Waterton Canyon (signs) as you are leaving the Peak. It's about a half mile or so and Waterton Canyon breaks to the right (signs) but interestingly there is no sign that says Powerline goes to the left but indeed it does.
Take plenty of water and sunscreen but I am definitely coming back with my wife. Carpenters Peak is 3.1 UP and 3.1 DOWN and the sign says it is strenuous but it really is not that difficult at all.

Good trail, well maintained, the trail is definitely not strenuous. great views and plenty of good stopping spots.

You do have to pay $7 for an all-day park pass, which would’ve been nice to know before going but if you don’t mind the fee, it’s worth it. The trail is described as strenuous but it’s not bad at all and the views are terrific.

Great hike on well-maintained trails. Not crowded on a Monday. Also the pay station was self-service so only cash accepted. I did the lollipop loop version of this hike and almost regretted the decision at the aptly named Powerline Trail but the portion in sight and sound of them was only half a mile. The rest of it was quite lovely and varied.

The views are phenomenal, the hike is strenuous. Work hard for more unique views.

I arrived around 8 am on a Saturday morning, and did not have wait to get in to the park. The cost is $7, cash or card both accepted. I hiked the Carpenter Peak/Powerline/Elk Valley Loop. Originally, I intended to just hike the Carpenter Peak trail, however I ran into one of the park rangers and he convinced me to take on the loop by saying it was his favorite hike in the park. After completing it, I agree!

There were not many people on the loop once you cross over on to Powerline. In fact, Powerline runs out of Roxborough and into Pike National Forest, which is an added bonus.

I would bring water, sunscreen, and layers if you are hiking in the morning to peel off as the day heats up.

It took me around 3 hours to complete the 8 mile loop. When I left around 11:15, the top lot was full (where I was able to park with ease around 8), and there was a line of cars about 15-20 deep waiting to enter. Hope this helps!

Bit of a wait in line to get into the lot on a busy morning, but well worth it. Great 6 mile out and back, with awesome views of cool rock formations along the way. Cool rocks to climb on at the summit. Nice changes in landscape along the way, with nice shady spots to take a rest. Not too strenuous on the way up for an experienced hiker, and the grade is easy on the knees on the way down. I’ll definitely hit this trail again.

Beautiful, especially in the morning sun. As the snow thaws, you'll see some mud on the trail. But otherwise fun and scenic with views of the red rocks, Denver, and mountains to the west.

Awesome trail! Hiked early Sunday morning, hardly any traffic at all. Recommend good hiking shoes, there was a section of the hike where it was muddy so be careful around the edge. Recommend a hat and sunscreen, hardly any shade. Amazing views throughout the hike.

Great hike, great facilities....only bummer is no dogs in this state park!

Great hike. 7$ fee to enter the park

The $7 park fee was definitely worth the price of admission!

I set out on my trek around 10 am and completed the 8 mile loop in just under 2 and 1/2 hours. There were only about 7 or 8 cars in the parking lot when I first began, but the lot was completely full upon my arrival back at the car (it's a small lot, so be sure to get there early).

It was a beautifully sunny day (70 degrees-plus) and I only saw two other hikers on my way up to the summit. There were incredible views of the red rocks on the uphill climb to Carpenter Peak, and I often turned back to gaze upon it's beauty and photograph the contrasting red and orange against the bright blue sky.

It was slightly windy at the top of Carpenter Peak, but I only stayed for a few minutes before continuing my journey to the Powerline Trail, which I followed until reaching the Elk Valley Loop to complete my circular trek. I didn't see a single hiker until I was back on the Carpenter Peak Trail, which added to the tranquility of my solo-hike.

There were many signs stating to be aware of rattlesnakes and mountain lions on the trail, but I saw no indication of dangerous wildlife on my journey. The trail was somewhat muddy/snowy in certain parts, but sturdy hiking boots were more than sufficient to complete the trek.

This is a beautiful spring hike through Roxborough that I will definitely be visiting again!

Very nice hike. No ice on the trail today, but a lot of mud (Yaktrax not necessary). Just be aware that there will probably be ~30 minute wait to get into the park--they do one car out, one in. Still definitely recommend, but be sure to plan ahead.

The trail is clear of ice, but you will hit mud along the way. Great front range trail for something a little different.

This is a busy park with nice facilities ($7 entry fee). However the crowds thinned out substantially once at the trail head for Carpenter Trail. There was a lot of mud and puddles on the way up; most of the ice has melted, I had no need for YakTrax or poles. Encountered a family of seven deer on the way up and back down. Well marked and cared for (no trash, a pleasant surprise). Arrive early to avoid waiting in line to get into the park.

Conditions were excellent today. Muddy in some spots but not much ice except in a couple areas. I had poles but never had to put on my YakTrax. Otherwise trail conditions were very good. I arrived right after the park opened and there were not many people but by the time I left there was a long line of people waiting to get in and no parking. Get there early.

Great views of the Continental Divide, Denver, and the Plains. Moderate grade with only a few sections steep enough to make you want to stop and catch your breath. The trail passes through beautiful stands of forest. No sounds but the wind in the pines. Other than that, an immense silence.

Great, changing perspectives of the unique geology of Roxborough. Distinct hike for the area.

Icy and $7 to enter the park. Other than that good hike

Nice hike with awesome rock formations. Hiker only, no pets. Trail was extremely muddy and wet. Didn’t use traction, but a little slick in spots.

Beautiful view @ peak.

Beautiful winter hike. Sunny, a lot of snow but very little ice. Didn't need spikes.

Good hike with nice views. Narrow path with ice at this time of year so wear your yaktraks/spikes.