Capitol Peak

Capitol Peak is a 15.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Snowmass Village, Colorado that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.1 miles Elevation Gain: 5,029 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Near Snowmass and Aspen, CO, Capitol Peak meanders along Capitol Creek. Trail ends at the saddle between the Peak and Mt Daly. The trail to Capitol Lake is 12 miles RT. Stunning lake and vista. Capitol Peak itself is a Class IV 14er for the experienced climber July-Sept.

Did this as my third 14er. So much fun and absolutely beautiful! Started at 1am and summited at 9am If you can do Longs you can do Capitol

All trails has the route after the butterknife going up the face. I would stay on the ridge. It’s not off by much. But the ridge was easier for me, albeit with a bit more exposure, on the way back down.

Hiked this on Saturday 9/21. Weather was forecasting heavy winds, however once over the saddle between Mt. Daly and Capitol wind was non existing. The Knife Edge is extremely exposed. However the hike after the knife in my opinion is more technical with a higher risk of danger. Be careful! Absolutely NO SHORT CUTS! Same way in same way out! Stick to the route! Some snow but I didn’t need crampons. Plenty of rocks to avoid snow if you really want to or do what I did and look for the slushy areas and walk over it. All streams were crossable without removing shoes. We camped by the lake and headed to the summit at 730am the following morning- made it back before sunset. Saw plenty of hikers who did it in a day though. Not recommend but doable. Beautiful hike! Definitely my favorite!

Super fun hike! 3rd 14er. Started at 1am from the trailhead summited at 9:30.

July 30 2019 https://youtu.be/c6IBNi5RqTU

Wow. Colorado just keeps bringin’ it! Went up Capital Creek Ditch Trail to the lake then onto Capital Creek Pass. July 30 still had 4 or 5 snowfields to traverse. Easy enough though two of them will slide you into the lake if you’re not paying attention. Poles were helpful.

Capitol peak.. you can get on the ridge and just shy of K2 but you will need cramp ons and ice axes to summit. as of July 18-19th 2019 The winter was a good one for Capitol, alot of water in the creek aka river is strong. If you go to the right of where you would normally cross, less than 100 yards there is this tree hanging and you can cross easy, if you dont want to get wet. Knee deep water turns into waist high with it's current power. You sink more than you will think and on top of it all, its f'n cold!! Very very cold. Taste great to drink though! Tree posted..

Avalanche, way too much snow to traverse and summit.

Sun Sep 09 2018

It took 20 hours of climbing over two days to reach the summit. Climbed 8/1/18-8/2/18 with great weather. It was my 5th 14er and the most technical. I would not have made it without a guide. I used Nate from Aspen Expeditions. I’m going to pick something easier next year.

Thu Jun 14 2018

Hiked in from the ditch trail to the lake at base camp. We went June 9, 2018 and encountered some snow fields across many of the switch backs at higher elevations. That night got well below freezing as we expected it might. Beautiful hike, although I would recommend going a bit later in the summer. If you hike the upper trail (ditch trail) bring mosquito spray, ditch water is stagnant an full of mosquitoes

Mon Nov 06 2017

While moving towards the trailhead you enter a aspen tree tunnel, and as it clears you are greeted by grand views of forest, creeks, and Capitol peak in the distance. The trail as some points I found a bit confusing to follow, due to cattle grazing trails in the area, but it is not hard to stay oriented in the direction you need to go. Beautiful open fields filled with flowers, delicious snow melt creeks, and towering rocks made this an unforgettable hike for me. I just went for the day, but it seems like a great place to stay overnight. Also the road to the trail was under-repair, so it may be nicely paved by now. Cheers

Sun Aug 27 2017

Tough hike, stated 5.5-6 miles to the lake seems MUCH longer but I guess not. If you don't enjoy steep ups and downs use Ditch TRAIL which cuts into Capitol a few miles in, not as much water for the dogs though.

Sat Aug 26 2017

This is my Favorite 14er so far amazing hike in to base camp. Nice gradual gain for carrying in all your gear to drop at camp. We summited the following morning leaving camp around 4:45 and Summiting around 9 am. The hike to the summit is not for the faint of heart very difficult and technical and has lots of loose rock. Crossing Knife Edge is the most talked about part, but I found it to be not as bad as the traverse across the back of the summit and climb up the ridge to the summit. All in all great hike and climb. I would recommend a 2 day trip as we did to make the summit round trip a success.

Thu Aug 21 2014

This might be the most beautiful trail in Colorado. You DO NOT have to climb the peak to have an amazing time. The trail to Capitol Lake is 12 miles RT. The trail conditions are amazing. The hike is moderate with some ups and downs.

Fri Sep 14 2012

Awesome and beautiful hike. Very tough if not in shape. We rode horses and had to stop often as it is a pretty consistant climb. We didnt get to the 14er peak, but did the loop below and that was tough enough. Good trail for the most part. Great hike to get your heart pumping. Great views and plenty and streams to cross.