Cameron Cone is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

WARNING: there is a section in the lower part of the trail about a half-mile above the Cog railway crossing that is currently impassable.

I hiked up to Magog and Gog as a recon to ultimately hike to Cameron Cone, and as mentioned in the previous post, there is a section of the trail between Magog and the Cog RR that is nearly impassable. Lots of fresh downfall covering the trail. After climbing over and under the deadfall I too lost the “trail” and spent an hour getting my bearings before finding the trail and hiking to the Magog. I made it back down, tired, scratched, cover in sticky sap. Definitely not a trail for kids, dogs, or anyone who does not like serious bushwhacking.

A trail crew will be needed to make the trail passable.

This was tough. I'm glad and somewhat surprised I completed it. After about 3/4 of the way up my legs were spent but somehow we made it up the last 900 feet elevation gain. As some users suggest, following a GPS recording such as the ones listed on this site are KEY, and having the pictures of some of the 14ers.com reviews is also a huge help. I won't add a lot to their exhaustive and much appreciated reviews.

What I will add is this: as of today 22 Aug 2018, the lower part of the trail about a half-mile above the Cog railway crossing is impassable. I'm pretty sure there must have been a recent high wind event or possibly tornado. Multiple large pines were snapped in their middles, uprooted, or even spiral-fractured suggesting a pretty impressive force. For about 70 yards, the easy-to-follow trail is impassable and difficult to find on the other side. The "trail" I did "find" was not the right one, and so we took about an hour to get back on track. As other users have mentioned, this trail can be very hard to find at times, so have the GPS recording available. With that said, the GPS function drains iPhone batteries pretty quickly, so consider bringing a backup charger. My phone went from 100% to 3% in the 7.5 hours of the hike. Just a thought.

Anyway, the midsection of the hike up to the Crystal Park road is very nice, but the last portion has a poorly maintained trail and is super steep. There are so many downed pine trees that you can't use the usual visual cues to find marked trails. The last 900 feet elevation gain is quite a chore. There are a few of those pink ribbons remaining, but don't count on those to light the way.

This is definitely an achievement given all the above and the 4200 feet elevation gain over 4 miles up, but there are plenty more enjoyable hikes in the area. If the lower portion and upper portion were properly maintained and the trail marked with maybe some paint dots on the trees or something, this would be a 4-5 star hike. It took me 5 hours up (1 hour lost...) and 2.5 hours down.

Last thing. I saw my first bear in colorado near the Cog Railway at the end of the hike, so that made the struggle well worth it. The fact that it didn't eat me or steal my last CLIF bar was the icing on the cake.

BEFORE YOU TRY IT- go to 14ers.com and read “Cameron Cone- Harder than it looks”
For the love of all that is holy do NOT try to connect via Barr trail if you value your safety!! Read user Dane Steil’s review below and follow his recording. This trail should really be updated to follow that path instead. Also just a warning because as mentioned in previous reviews, there are a TON of social trails to get lost on. Please be careful I would definitely only recommend this for experienced hikers who have done everything else in the area or bagged a couple 14ers. Attempted this twice- once via Barr trail and turned back. The second time I reached a point where I needed to climb and didn’t feel comfortable taking my dogs. Extremely steep, awesome challenge. I’ll be back for this one!

After living in Colorado Springs for 2 1/2 years and hiking our butts off, this is the first trail we’ve had to turn back on. There is no clear trail past the cog train tracks. We scrambled up the side of the cliff where the AllTrails app guided us and found ourselves on barely a single track. We continued for maybe 1/4 mile after that and turned back. 4 experienced Colorado hikers with 6 experienced Colorado hiking pups- next time we’ll attempt without the dogs. An upside is the little waterfall you come to before the cog tracks. The pups loved it and it was a great place to rest!

Awesome trail. Very steep and rough/hard to follow in a couple places. The views of Pikes Peak and the surrounding Peaks is amazing pretty much the whole way up. We did this one after work, but would recommend a weekend hike for the sake of time and to be able to relax a bit on the trail.

I would recommend not using Barr Trail to access this trail because connecting to the main trail from Barr can get difficult. We paid to park at the Incline and walked up Ruxton ave until it turned into a dirt road; we walked though two gates at the end and about a quarter mile up there is an opening to the left with a tree that branches across the river. After crossing the river you’ll go up to the COG tracks and directly across them is the well built trail. Follow our recording if needed

Trail is good. But easy to get lost. (Lost the trail 3 times.) Very dangerous on March 31st because of the snow - despite snow spikes. I got lost and had to rock scramble uphill in 12-18" snow. Quite sketchy. Hands were left freezing cold.