Byers Peak Trail

Byers Peak Trail is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Granby: Travel southeast on Highway 40 approximately 17 miles to County Road 73 in the town of Fraser. Travel west on Road 73 for 2 miles to Forest Road 160.2. Travel southwest on Forest Road 160.2 for 7 miles to Forest Road 111, then west 4 miles to the trailhead.

Went up there today and the trail is now closed for the season! You can walk past the barrier up to the actual trailhead if you want but it's a good 10 miles to the trailhead.

Really beautiful trail. rating is accurate. uphill steeply at least 3/4 of the way and the last 1.75 miles are the biggest climb. aits worth it at the top though, especially when the fall colors are at their peak.

The 2 miles on the service road is kind of a bummer by foot. But it is worth it. The rest of the hike is absolutely breathtaking. Some bouldering and tough elevation gain. For a rather inexperienced hiker and lowlander like myself, we figured it was roughly 2.5-3 hours to get to the top, and a solid 2 hours to get back. I will definitely do this one again, but next time will mountain bike for the first 2 miles and lock my bike up at the rack. Oh and a vehicle with 4 wheel drive is recommended to get to the trail head--I made it in my Honda Accord, but went less than 5 mph for the last mile or two of the road. Would have felt more comfortable in my SUV.

Great views. Not very busy (only saw about 15 people Labor Day Weekend). Definitely moderate to hard. I couple slightly technical boulderish climbing where the trail kinda goes away towards the top but not too bad. First part meanders up a Forest Service Road (about 2 miles, which there's an actual bike rack at the top where the original trailhead used to be where people lock up their bikes and hike on - we saw about 5 people ride their bike to here) then the trail kinda meanders through the woods without a ton of elevation gain then makes a B-line up the ridge for about 1900 feet of nearly constant vertical gain.

Awesome hike if you're looking for a good workout! Trail is well maintained and very easy to follow besides the very tip top but it's not a problem! Very steep but very worth it. Beautiful, wide open views.

It was beautiful up top even with a storm approaching. During summer make sure you summit early. But the 2-3 mile road if you don't mtn bike to bike rack was extremely tedious on the way up and down.

Stunning views... Once you get past the 2 mile dirt road and the really nice pine forest... Up up the whole way, you get above tree line where you start the REAL hike. I lost count of the number of false summits; don't let them play mind games with you... It's a slog, but oh so worth it the entire way up, and somehow even better at the top, with 360 views.

The trail is in great condition, with many mushrooms to be found along the way. Quiet, challenging hike. We were alone on the summit on a Saturday mid-morning.

First 1/4 is a series of switchbacks on a wide trail. Next 1/4 is in a gorgeous, lush forest. After that, you've reached a series of false summits leading to some scramble. The summit has lots of wildflowers and killer views.

Long dirt road starting from about 7 miles out.

Great trail. Challenging for newbies but not overwhelming.

Long but beautiful hike up to the summit of Byers Peak. The last stretch to the summit will make you think you're close but you'll get to a top point and see more hike ahead of you so don't get discouraged and take your time as it gets more strenuous but you'll get there and the views are amazing at the summit.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

With the exception of the long walk to get to the trailhead, it is an amazing hike! Beautiful views!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Amazing, Beautiful lush trail. Last Mile is intense but so worth it!! Windy at top so bring a beanie for your head. Enjoy

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Great hike. I did this one 20+ years ago and didn't remember how hard it was. Maybe it's because I'm 20 years older now and only had a few days to get acclimated.
Had a hard time finding the trailhead. Never did find CO 742. Instead I followed 73 and then turned on Byers Peak road. It was an ok dirt road. Could have done it in the family minivan, but glad I had my brother's jeep. Thanks Adam!
We brought bikes along for the service road. They were especially nice on the return trip to the jeep.
Beautiful views after the service road. The forested portion was pretty, but only a few lookouts until we got out of the trees. Just as we exited the trees, we lost the trail for a bit but looked up and saw a sign about 100 meters up. After the trees, it's pretty much a straight shot up the ridge line to the top. There's some scrambling as you approach the summit, but it's not difficult. Great views from the top and above tree line.

Hiked on July 9, 2016.
Oh yeah - we were told that there's a ton of snow up there and we might need snowshoes. That's not the case. There are a few snowfields, but none that we had to traverse.

I uploaded my map / tracks, but something happened with the mobile app and didn't save until we got back to the condo in Fraser. If you zoom in and ignore the green dot in Fraser, you can see our tracks. I also paused it at the top and hiked for about 15 minutes before I remembered to start it again. Doh!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Easily the prettiest hike I've ever done

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Great views after you get past the 2 mile forest service road and to the original trail head. The very top is a bit of a technical climb but well worth it!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The views are spectacular. The first part on the closed service road is a snooze, but it is worth it when you get to the trail. Although you can make it to the trailhead in a car with reasonable clearance, I would recommend an SUV or pickup for the last mile of the drive.

Friday, July 26, 2013

This trailhead is kind of confusing to find. The first bit of the hike is on closed Forest Service Roads, not to bad, but it gets rather boring. They have a bike rack at the start of the actual trail and one could ride up on the closed road. The hike is not bad at all, wonderful views and a great ridge hike once above treeline. Despite its low elevation the view still very much indeed, in-part form its distance from other mountains that are higher.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

This hike is a must if you are visiting Grand county, CO. The hike along the forest road can be a little boring, but bring your bike and you can ride from the 2nd gate (usually closed and where you park) all the way to the trail head. You will be able to lock your bike to the bike rack located at the trail head as well. No bikes on the actual trail. The trail through the woods is mostly shaded and gives you several scenic overlooks of the Fraser valley. Byers is not as tall as some, but the ridge line trail offers a challenging scramble once you ascend above timberline. Once you get to the top, keep a look out for the mountain goats. They are pretty friendly and curious if you are lucky enough to see one. One of my favorite hikes close to home.

Monday, July 11, 2011

The trailhead was hard to find. Go all the way to the end of the loop on CO 742. You can park along the road at the tralihead. Great hike with awesome views. Too bad this isn't a 14er to be able to add to my list.

06/24- trail mostly clear, some spots where you had to maneuver around or just posthole through. Went up and down in 3:50. Good challenge for a warm up on a 14er season