Button Rock Preserve: Sleepy Lion Trail

Button Rock Preserve: Sleepy Lion Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

partially paved

Great trail with a few steep sections and generally rocky. Well shaded in the morning. Dramatic views of Long's Peak, Mt. Meeker, and Twin Sisters beyond the reservoir. Word to the wise: Somewhere near the highest elevation of the loop, it is very easy to get onto another trail called the Button Rock Trail. It eventually (5+ miles) gets to another trailhead called Hall Ranch, at least 10 driving miles and a few ridges away from the parking lot at Longmont Dam.

my favorite place to date this is in Jeopardy of becoming an on leash only I spoke to a ranger please pick up and pack out puppy poop we could lose this beautiful spot for our dogs to run free. Maybe bring extra bags to donate for people that forget.

Great trail! Went mid feb and there was snow and ice but totally doable w good boots

A few patches of ice. We had yak tracks but at this point you would be ok without them... I still recommend having them just in case.

We could not figure out the loop so we ended up turning back after hiking up Hummingbird Switchback and seeing the Reservoir. Not too shabby.

This is a fun place for a winter hike. It’s not too far off the main drag and while it’s popular, it’s not overcrowded.

Great fairly easy hike close to Denver. There are always other people on the trail. Parking is adequate. Bathrooms are nice.

Very windy today but the views were incredible!

Found a camera and grey beanie two days ago. Contact me at michaelpmcalear@gmail.com if they are yours! Great trail for dogs. Bring spikes!

Nice trail if not crowded. Fun to do with a little snow. Amazing view of the reservoir.

This is my favorite close by hike ❤️

Beautiful views by the reservoir

Easy hike! Only some patches of ice but I was fine without crampons. Super clean trail & easy trail to follow thats offleash for the pups!

Loved it. Great hike from beginning to end. Some icy patches, glad I had crampons on my bag. Next time, I’ll pack a lunch to enjoy along with the view from the top.

Awesome trail for hiking running or nature walking with your dog. Yesterday was very cold, came back with freezing hands and face. hand warmer and a scarf would it helped. Beautiful views specially when you get to the dam.

Great place to hike with the dog off leash. Crampons would have been useful today (mid December) at the higher elevation but we were okay without them. Recommend to dog owners.

I love this place

Beautiful and secluded. Need spikes for the upper loop part.

Great views! Currently the trail is a little icy and snow packed. We got through just fine without spikes, but they certainly would have helped.

Great way to burn some calories on Thanksgiving. A decent portion if this hike is on a gravel road but it was beautiful thoughout. Lovely views and some moderately challenging elevation change. Some parts were quite icy today but we were careful and fall-free without krampons.

Great hike, snowy but very accessible.

Beautiful hike.

This is a really great day hike if you live nearby and are off to a late start for the day. We came from neighboring Longmont and started the hike around 3. Got back to the car right after the sun went down. The creek is beautiful and it's really cool to see some local infrastructure at work. I highly recommend this hike.

Beautiful hike with some stunning views. Very heavily trafficked especially on the road leading to the Sleepy Lion trail, but everybody kind of spreads out after that.

Nice hike!!

Did this counterclockwise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fascinating mix of super wide gravel road, steep rocky single track (moments of scrambling even) and a descent on long deteriorating asphalt. Views were great and dam, causeway and canyon walls fun to admire. Dogs off leash on the single track only (about 40%) but that worked for me.

Nice views but mainly service road hiking. Well marked and plenty of water for pooches. Nice designated off leash trails for the dogs.

This is a go-to trail, the only thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars is that almost half of the trail is a dirt road, but there are beautiful creek views along the road. There’s a little bit of everything, shade, sun, flat, steep and great views. Bring sunscreen, the road has little shade.

Great views! Not easy to get lost. LOL. Very straightforward. There were some rocky and steep areas, but overall, it was great. My dog loved it! There weren’t too many folks in the early am. I loved the views and that it was close to town. Great! And def moderate.

Pretty hike only 20 minute drive from Lyons.
Great views of reservoir and Longs Peak at the halfway point.
2.5 hours total.

It was ok. Got there around 9am plenty of parking.

gorgeous trail. When you finish the sleepy lion, take the hummingbird switchback trail for a beautiful walk around the reservoir.