Button Rock Preserve: Sleepy Lion Trail

Button Rock Preserve: Sleepy Lion Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great trail with a few steep sections and generally rocky. Well shaded in the morning. Dramatic views of Long's Peak, Mt. Meeker, and Twin Sisters beyond the reservoir. Word to the wise: Somewhere near the highest elevation of the loop, it is very easy to get onto another trail called the Button Rock Trail. It eventually (5+ miles) gets to another trailhead called Hall Ranch, at least 10 driving miles and a few ridges away from the parking lot at Longmont Dam.

My daughter and I loved this trail, it was well kept, beautiful scenery and somewhat of a challenge for us since we don't hike often. We will be back soon!

Good, fairly easy hike. Some pretty views, but the 1st half of the hike is along a dirt road.

Really I want to give this hike a 3.5. The views are great and it’s a manageable hike for all levels BUT you are on a dirt road for good portion of the hike which is not really my jam.

Great hike for the Family and dog. And the Dogs can be off the leash for a bit.!!

Wind was killer today. Trail was in great shape. A couple of icy patches in the shade otherwise all dry.

Incredible views from all directions. Trail was dry; no extra traction needed.

Great hike even though we started a little late in the afternoon. The area of the hike seemed very mild compared with the surrounding area, which was great on a January afternoon.

wonderful weather and still lots of green for December

First half of the trail, if you go clockwise, is amazing. Really pretty views and dogs are allowed off-leash. Really enjoyed it! The second half you are just walking on a frontage road along a creek with not much to look at. Still a great hike, though.

It was a gorgeous day today hiking in short sleeves in December. My dog loved the off-leash areas. It was steep in a few places, but hey, I am 60 and not as fast as I used to be. Great local hike for all abilities.

Really nice hike with the pups and saw folks with different abilities manage well. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. There was lots of traffic in the afternoon and the lot was full. This was a very well managed trail with lots of great views to offer. It's been unseasonably warm so there wasn't any snow or ice to worry about to get to the trail.

The views were soo amazing today, will definitely do this hike again!

This had everything we were looking for. Some rough terrain but mostly open hiking. Our dog loved it too! Amazing views❤️.

Great trail for a Sunday afternoon! Took our 8 month old puppy and she loved it!! Was tired by the end but finished with no problem!

This is a pretty easy hike, the uphills are steep but short. There's an access road for a good portion of it which is flat. Clockwise has prettier views than counterclockwise.

A medium difficulty trail. Took us 2.5 hrs with stopping for probably 15 min. Nice hike with woods, open spaces, and water.

Hiked this "trail" several months ago. Nothing is marked. My 5-mile hike turned into an 11-hour attempt to find my and my dog's way back to civilization. I'm not even sure where I was. Experienced hikers only, unless I'm a complete nitwit who should never leave the house.

Decent easy hike. Views arent the best but dogs are allowed off leash once you get off main road. Watch out for tons of cactus just off the trail.

great views!