Button Rock Preserve: Sleepy Lion Trail

Button Rock Preserve: Sleepy Lion Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great trail with a few steep sections and generally rocky. Well shaded in the morning. Dramatic views of Long's Peak, Mt. Meeker, and Twin Sisters beyond the reservoir. Word to the wise: Somewhere near the highest elevation of the loop, it is very easy to get onto another trail called the Button Rock Trail. It eventually (5+ miles) gets to another trailhead called Hall Ranch, at least 10 driving miles and a few ridges away from the parking lot at Longmont Dam.

wonderful weather and still lots of green for December

First half of the trail, if you go clockwise, is amazing. Really pretty views and dogs are allowed off-leash. Really enjoyed it! The second half you are just walking on a frontage road along a creek with not much to look at. Still a great hike, though.

It was a gorgeous day today hiking in short sleeves in December. My dog loved the off-leash areas. It was steep in a few places, but hey, I am 60 and not as fast as I used to be. Great local hike for all abilities.

Really nice hike with the pups and saw folks with different abilities manage well. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. There was lots of traffic in the afternoon and the lot was full. This was a very well managed trail with lots of great views to offer. It's been unseasonably warm so there wasn't any snow or ice to worry about to get to the trail.

The views were soo amazing today, will definitely do this hike again!

This had everything we were looking for. Some rough terrain but mostly open hiking. Our dog loved it too! Amazing views❤️.

Great trail for a Sunday afternoon! Took our 8 month old puppy and she loved it!! Was tired by the end but finished with no problem!

This is a pretty easy hike, the uphills are steep but short. There's an access road for a good portion of it which is flat. Clockwise has prettier views than counterclockwise.

A medium difficulty trail. Took us 2.5 hrs with stopping for probably 15 min. Nice hike with woods, open spaces, and water.

Hiked this "trail" several months ago. Nothing is marked. My 5-mile hike turned into an 11-hour attempt to find my and my dog's way back to civilization. I'm not even sure where I was. Experienced hikers only, unless I'm a complete nitwit who should never leave the house.

Decent easy hike. Views arent the best but dogs are allowed off leash once you get off main road. Watch out for tons of cactus just off the trail.

great views!

Beautiful Hike on a road. In a canyon. Exciting to watch climbers also climbing shear rock faces. Unbelievable flowers in September. Easy hike - about 4 miles round trip to the Reservoir and back. Not many people on a Sunday. Many great picnic spots. Plus a bathroom at the beginning and another bathroom at the half way point.

Lots of people (and dogs) on the road, but very few on the off-road portion of the trail on this beautiful Saturday morning. Well-marked trail throughout. Recommend clockwise for the best views.

Expected to see many more people with the holiday, but it was pretty quiet. Trail was clean and well kept. Got to see a bat along the way which my six year old loved.

Great easy hike.

Pros:
- beautiful views of both surrounding mountains and the reservoir
- dogs can be off leash for majority of Sleepy Lion trail
- plenty of parking in the morning

Cons:
- didn't feel challenging enough (lots of moderate hikes feel much harder). However, this was a perfect length/difficulty to take our dogs on.

This is one of my absolute favorite places to hike especially going up the Sleepy Lion part of the trail. It is excellent for beginners as well as anyone looking for some great exercise with an amazing landscape. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone who is into hiking.

Very beautiful trail. You walk along a dirt road right by the Saint Vrain. Take the turn off to climb up in the hills. This part is tougher but you get a great view of the Ralph Price Reservoir.

Vehicle used to access the trail:
Kia sorrento front-wheel drive
Footwear:
Nike running shoe's
Child carrier:
ErgoBaby 360° backpack 22lb

Overall we enjoyed the walk.

Half of the trail is a gravel road used to access the Dam and there wasn't much shade on the road, which meant a warm mile walk back to the parking lot.
Sleepy Lion trail provided a lot of shade in the morning. We took to the trail at 8am on a Saturday mid-August and there was plenty of parking and the toilets are well maintained. We followed the trail clockwise and Sleepy lion gave us a great uphill climb for the first mile or so. It is well marked with arrows on the trees towards the top. I carried my 22lb little in an ErgoBaby and found the uphill challenging but definitely doable.
Once over the peak the trail is wider and appears to have once been an asphalt road but is more gravel. This gave the legs a nice break after the climb and we would recommend taking the trail clockwise.