Learn more

Butler Gulch Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Empire, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, snowboarding, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,502 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Tried to hike the trail 5/21 and it was still covered in snow.....will try again in the future.....

recorded Butler Gulch Trail

icy

FYI: when I returned from the trail I had a notice on my car as others did as well stating I was in violation of clear creek county stay-at-home order which closed access of county roads to non-county residents as of April 11th and threatened further action for non-compliance

Way too many people out and not practicing social distancing, made it hard to enjoy the hike.

icy

As you can see, we were all over the place. The all trials app was directing us to a path where there was no signs of anyone ever trekking there. We had snowshoes ready, but we decided to safe than sorry. Since we weren’t sure how to safely reach the summit, we decided to come back down a ways to figure things out. We had lots of skiers telling us to go diferente routes. We finally decided to pick one that wa recommend by a fellow snowshoer. The hike was hard, very hard. We had to take breaks in between which made the hike a bit longer than we anticipated. Over all, would we do it again? Yes...with skis

Another gorgeous day above 10K! Not as much powder as last week so spiked to tree line then put snowshoes on to cross the ridge. Sunny, blue sky and little wind!

3/7/2020 Snow packed trails made it up in ice spikes with no poles beautiful

Great day on the trail! 3/1 AM. We did the first 1.5 miles with snowshoes but packed down enough that we could have done with boots or micro spikes. Plenty of skiers too.

Awesome snowy morning.

Snowshoed on 1/25 got there early was snowing a bit but not crowded at all. A very beautiful trail for sure with some good uphill about a mile in. Were alot of people on the trail and parking lot on the way out. I'd say get there early and beat the crowds unless that is what you like! Sun came out on the way down so it was an awesome day!

Snowshoed on a Tuesday morning in January. Could be rated Moderate+ due to the starting altitude, ascent gain, and serious winds past tree line this time of year. Be aware of the significant number of skiers that fly down the narrow trail. You’ll need to move out of the way quickly to avoid a collision.

Snowshoeing while it snowed. Great trail. Friendly people, cute dogs :)

Absolutely beautiful hike! Excellent conditions for snowshoeing.

Excellent and beautiful trail. Snowshoed New Year’s Day and made it about 2.5 miles in. At that point the snow was too deep to continue without my snowshoe tails. Very windy and blustery at the top but spectacularly beautiful above the tree line. Highly recommend and can’t wait to return in the summer!!

What a great trail! Definitely worth committing to a long ascent but worth it. The road to the trailhead was a bit dicey but that was the only downside.

It was incredible hike, and snowshoeing. Up to the tree line we used crampons; passing that 2 miles we used snowshoe. No wind at the top, fresh snow and fantastic views.

The Google directions are wrong, take a right before the mine and you’ll see the sign for Jones pass on the right. Park there, there’s a lot of snow. The trailhead is about a quarter mile past that! you can probably make it with just spikes most of the way up because it’s pretty well packed, but it was nice to have snow shoes and if you have ones that have a heel lift it is very helpful because it does get steep about halfway up. It’s Easy to follow the trail until about 2 miles where it opens up into the bowl and it was pretty windy and no trail packed, and is harder to find, so that’s where we turned around! Even when I was on my way back down on the bowl it was hard to see where I had walked just a few minutes before because of the wind. It was beautiful though!

Need spikes or snowshoes now. Beautiful trail ending in an expansive bowl. Windy up top.

11/4/19. Hiked 2 miles in before turning around due to wind and darker skies. Trail is completely snow covered but still well marked. Started in with micro spikes but glad I had my snowshoes to switch to as the snow tended to give out a bit in some places. Overall fun trail and great workout, would definitely recommend.

Was able to hike (with poles and yaxtrax) a little over 2 miles. Hard packed snow for the most part. Attempted to make it across the bowl but started post holing and opted to turn back at that point. If I hadn’t been alone I might have been persuaded to keep going because I really wanted to see over that ridge! I’m new to the area and have never snow-shoed (or skied) but this trail clearly present great opportunities for both. Tons of skiers. And a few shoe-shoers. Easy to follow.

I hiked this trail early October before any snow and it was very pretty! Not crowded which is always a huge plus, and just enough challenge. Once you got above tree line views were amazing. This trail is dog friendly- I came across a man that was very unhappy to see dogs! Who doesn’t like dogs? But anyways gave me a really hard time about having mine there. Do your research people! There are plenty of trials that don’t allow dogs, stick to those.

Amazing hike! A little challenging at times. Very snowy!