Bushnell Lakes Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coaldale, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We (my wife, 9yo son and 6yo daughter) started this hike from the Hayden Creek Campground about three miles down the Rainbow Trail. As a result this was a 10-11 mile hike but we avoided the long, bumpy drive to the Bushnell trailhead. The Rainbow section is a steady, mild ascent but pretty easy most of the way. We saw mountain bike tracks but passed none on this sunny weekday.

The switch to the Bushnell Lake trail is well signed. The first 8/10 of a mile is the steepest Clark mb, an unrelenting 1000 ft of altitude over loose rocky ground but then one gets the first views of the valley below and peaks above. The next half mile is flatter, drier and in and out of the trees. This is followed by another easier ascent to the first lake, which is fed by a waterfall from the second lake. I took a quick dip in the lake to cool off and we watched the trout for a while. Pretty good sized fish for a small lake. As it was getting late in the day we returned from here. The whole trip took about 8 1/2 hours and the pool at Curry’s felt great!

I went in December 2017:
Okay- the good and bad:
1. This trail is 11 miles off highway 50 on a 1 lane dirt road. You need a high profile vehicle or you won’t make it. It took us about an hour to reach the trailhead via the road. It’s rocky, ruts, washboards, washed out, etc. I probably drove around 4-6mph the whole way
2. The trail is pretty much straight up. It was well maintained, but a lil tricky and it will get your heart racing for sure. There aren’t switch backs, just up up up (you are climbing a mountain, after all). The hike down was a bit slippery it’s so steep. It had just dusted snow when we were there.
3. The view is incredible. The trail is gorgeous. I can imagine you’ll likely be the only one there, it is remote! The silence is incredible. The lake at the top is worth it!!!! True gorgeous nature.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017