Burro Trail to Windy Peak

Burro Trail to Windy Peak is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1902 feet

Started at 630am. Little amount of hikers. Took Mountain Lion Trail up to Windy Peak and went down Burro trail. 6.3 miles took 4 hours. Ran into a moose on the trail. Nice view of Windy Peak

Very beautiful. I would say this is a moderate-strenuous hike, for sure, so be prepared for a work out! It's a rocky and uneven path for much of the trail but so worth it! Also, this is a fee area, so make sure to have cash for parking or they'll ticket you.

My wife and I did this hike in March on a warmer day. It was nice to get to the top of windy peaks and look out at the beautiful scenery. Along the hike the stream gave a nice background noise to make the getaway a reality. Some parts of the trail still had ice and snow on them. As far as trail marking, we did make a wrong turn which made our hike about 2 miles longer. This is also due to some misguiding by the visitor center. A miscommunication that lead to a little more exercise. There are some steeper climbs that will get you working a bit which was nice.

Trail was not that difficult we ended up doing a second loop up the mountain lion trail for a little more exercise. It was a steady climb in places but not super long so adding the extra few miles helped. Great park though with bathrooms at the beginning of trail heads and lots of options to customize your outing.

Long and very scenic. There are a couple of steep parts but overall not that challenging.

Cool trail, great view from the top of windy peak. Went in early December, only 4 groups of hikers on the trail, not crowded at all: starts in open meadows and ascends in pine alpine.

This is a great hike, definitely challenging. Beautiful area. Barely saw anyone when we did this hike July 24. Will do this hike again!

definitely a bit of a challenge going up. good workout, nice views.

Awesome vertical gain, beautiful views and a nice challenging trail!

I wore the wrong shoes for this one, so I was hurting during and after. There were great views at the top and there were not a lot of people along the trail so it was quite peaceful.

Great hike with amazing scenery. I started at about 8:30 on a Sunday, saw nobody else until I got back to the parking area and had Windy Peak all to myself. Agree with the moderate to difficult rating. Added a side trip on the Mountain Lion trail to ensure I hit 2000 ft elevation gain.