Burro Trail Loop to Windy Peak

Burro Trail Loop to Windy Peak is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,893 feet Route Type: Loop

Took my dog on this trail. Got there around 10. Very few people. Not crowded at all till I got back down around 12:30. A lot more people at the base. Good hike great views. A lot of fun.

Part of the road is unpaved on the way to the trailhead but it seemed like it was temporary, nothing that a car with decent tires couldn’t handle. There are about 18ish parking spots with plenty of picnic tables and a bathroom/portapotti at the trailhead. We got there at 7:05am and we were the first ones. By the time we got back at the end there weren’t any parking spots left. It was a moderate hike, some loose rock areas that made you slip a bit without hiking shoes. Though we saw someone wearing flip flops, not sure how she did the down slope parts that were pretty steep, I recommend good shoes. The inclines were great, they were small stretches of steepness then break with a flat or a down slope. We ended up going to Windy Peak which added 1.4 miles round trip to the 4.9 that was quoted on this loop. I definitely recommend going to the peak if you have time especially in the next few weeks while the aspens are changing. The trail was marked pretty well but I would download the map on here just in case. You don’t have service most of the time on the mountain or up to the trailhead (I have Verizon). The hike offered some rocky, full shaded forest, and meadow parts which was super nice. There is one overgrown almost like jungle area but it was fairly short (0.3 miles max) towards the beginning of you go counterclock wise around the loop. We went clockwise. Finally, friendly reminder to dog owners to please pick up your pet’s poop. There were quite a few on the side and one directly in the middle of the trail at the beginning. Hey

Surprisingly not crowded for a Saturday... we passed a few groups of people but mostly had the trail to ourselves. There was a lot of variety to the scenery (meadows, pine forests, lush thickets by a little creek) and a great view! Highly recommend.

Worth the views! For someone not as used to altitude, the elevation made the hike difficult at times, but it was totally doable at a consistent pace with a few stops along the way.

Absolutely loved this trail. I went right (counter clockwise) that the start of the loop and the wild flowers were spectacular. There is a very short portion on a service road where the trails overlaps with Mountain Lion Trail before you hit the loop portion. There are a few steep(ish) parts but nothing that require a scramble, the challenge was more the length of the ascent to Windy Peak and the altitude gained. The peak is pretty obvious when you get there - the trail ends. I was the only one there and it was beautiful and not windy. The loop took me about 2.5 hours so including a short break at the summit. I started at 7am - plenty of parking at that time but when I left there was none available. I did not pass another person until the last 0.25 mile.

Gorgeous hike on a Sunday morning. Was one of the first to the parking area around 7:30 and only passed one other person on the way up to Windy Peak. Lots more coming back down with cars parked up and down the road when I returned. I did the loop clockwise.

Nice trail with a steady incline to the top, good views, not too long, only took about 2 and half hours to finish. More on the moderate side than hard

Lots of wildlife with some tougher inclines. Wildlife throughout all. Very windy on the peak.

I would rank this closer to moderate than to hard, except there are a few rather steep inclines along the way, especially near the peak. I was happy to be hiking on a cloudy day, since there are several long stretches (especially on the first half of the loop going counter-clockwise from the bottom) with little to no shade. For the first week of August, the wildflower blooms were AMAZING, and definitely made the lack of shade worth it. Overall this is a great trail with lots of variety and a great view at the top. I prefer it over the Mountain Lion trail route to Windy Peak. I'll be back to do this one again!

Get there early! Limited designated parking spots, but there is some parking along the road. Take lots of water! There are quite a few exposed areas to direct sunlight and it gets hot, fast! Definitely a tougher trail, but a beautiful hike.

Fantastic trail! Decent amount of shade and lots of wildflowers. Some of the trail follows a small stream. Would recommend to for most skill levels!

this is a very doable hike even with the windy peak section added on. the beginning is exposed but the wildflowers on this trail are ridiculously pretty. view from windy peak is gorgeous! a good day hike I'd you're in the area

Great trail on a Saturday morning. I saw less than 10 people during my hike around 7:30 AM. A little overgrown in spots but it doesn't diminish the experience.

Enjoyed the wild flowers along Burrow Trail. Great mix of shade and sun, heavy woods and meadows. Be mindful of the false summits.

Good trail with a GREAT view! We took Mountain Lion there and Burro back. Accent on mountain lion was more difficult but decent down burro wasn’t bad. Leave a little more time at the top and watch for wildlife on the way; we saw a deer!

Works for an aggressive but out of shape old guy. Hardest terrain for me is the decent, but trail is consistent up and down so was a nice round trip.

Beautiful views, steams, and rock formations! Highly recommend this trail.

recorded Recording - Jul 03, 02:42 PM

Excellent hike and a little bit of everything. Shady forest, sunny meadows, scenic overlook, challenging inclines and descents. The hard rating is fair but this hike is certainly not outrageous either.

Good mix of shade and sun! The dogs loved it. My friend and I were huffing and puffing a little bit, because we haven't been hiking much this season. There were only a couple muddy spots near the beginning.

Great hike for a break in sort of hike for the summer season. There were some challenging parts. Not enough to make me give up, but enough to really get my heart rate going and my muscles sore.

Really nice trail. Good mix of tree cover and open, ups and downs. Taking the Burro loop to the right is more open and the left felt a little steeper going down. Beautiful views for much of the way! I only recorded the second half of the look on AllTrails, so I can’t speak to mileage accuracy.

Nice hike. IMO not a " hard" but last third steady incline to Windy Peak. 5-15-19 dry and few others on the trail.