Burro Trail Loop to Windy Peak

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(359)
Golden Gate Canyon State Park

Burro Trail Loop to Windy Peak is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,893 feet Route Type: Loop

That this was a great hike. More moderate, with areas being a little more difficult. Beautiful view from the top, and great views in general.

fee

Great trail to get the blood pumping. There is a $9 fee to enter the park.

fee

Awesome trail with a good variety of terrain. Ran into a cow moose half a mile from where it splits into the loop past the creek.

Very dog friendly. Good medium hike - would not classify as hard. We got there at 8am to beat the rush and we were glad we did, as when we left the trail at 12pm, it was getting really crowded with overflowing parking at the trail head.

Great hike today (5/22). Got to the lot around 8 and only saw a few cars there. Was packed when we left around noon. Worth the extra mileage to go to the top of windy peak for the views!

fee

Trail was beautiful and well shaded but we ended up getting lost.

Nice hike! Good amount of shade too. Pretty quiet on a Monday.

Gorgeous! Limited parking and you need to pay before you get to the lot.

Not as crowded as expected. Arrived around 11 today, took about 3 hours with a break for 2 active hikers. Beautiful views at the top

Loved this trail so much on a Saturday morning. There were only a scattering of people, much less than other trails during the pandemic. It definitely wasn’t an easy one, though! We had to work to get to the top, and on the way back there is a section where you’re ascending for a bit, which majorly sucks when you’re ready to be done. Pretty views at the top, and a stream along the way at points. I didn’t give it five starts just because I wouldn’t qualify it as “epic”, just a solidly good hike.

Perfect day, dry trail and we only saw 2 people the entire time. Our pups loved it, especially splashing around in the creek!

Great hike! Elevation and length was a little tough for my partner, but the view at the top is absolutely incredible. Went on a Wednesday and saw about 10 people, can get a little tight for socially distancing, but everyone seemed to be doing their best. Would definitely do again!

icy

There seems to be a lot of American dog ticks on this trail. Obviously, ticks are a problem everywhere but they seem to be especially prevalent on this trail (or maybe we were just unlucky). We noticed a tick on our dog halfway through and were able to get it off in time. When we came home, we found two more latched on to our dog. It's probably best to wear long sleeves and long pants and use tick repellent. Other than that, it was a beautiful view at the top. The trail to windy peak wasn't as well marked as the burro trail and there was still some ice, packed snow and mud on the way to the top. It was a little steep on some sections of this trail.

icy

This trail is a little muddy with some spots still being snowy and icy. Overall, a good hike with easy to follow trails. Didn’t see too many people but I went early - when I returned to the parking lot it was full.

Fun trail made a bit harder by today's snowstorm. Didn't get to see the view at Windy Peak with all the heavy snow falling, but the trail was in decent shape despite 6" of snow on it, and my dog and I had a good day out!

icy

A fun little trail that winds through trees to get to the top. I'd say it was moderate. Mid-April showed to have spots where traction aids are extremely helpful. make sure to check out the Swedish family homestead. It would be so neat to have that view. Other than that, it isnt a crazy exciting hike, but made for a fun trail. I was tempted to rate it 3 stars due to the ranger that I watched harass several women, but not a single man, about choosing to hike this day. It doesn't affect the trail, but it sure started on a sour note.

icy

Still snow at the top and a few sections of ice throughout. I’d say this was “moderate” not too difficult. Only a couple of sections that were steep and strenuous. Very windy at top. Great views. A little bit of post holing but I got off the trail just a little bit.