Burro Trail Loop to Windy Peak

Burro Trail Loop to Windy Peak is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rocky, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

So hard but so worth it!

Great hike, well marked trails, awesome scenery. Challenging and fun!

Great loop trail to Windy Peak (which is very aptly named). Lots of signs to keep you on course. It’s a fairly steep hike but there is also plenty of shade. Be prepared to pay $7 due to Park fees. Was very low traffic for a Sunday. Also plenty of picnic tables are the trailhead to relax once you finish.

I started around 9 am on a Wednesday. Very few other people were there. The trail was great because it was shaded. And the ups were often paired with downs/flats so it was easy to recover without stopping. I added the Windy Peak trail at the top for a total of 6.6 miles. I got back to my car around 11:30 am. Loved this hike!

Difficult with easy patches, making it pleasant to keep going. Lots of options for alternative trails. Many beautiful views.

Nice well maintained trail. Weren’t a lot of people and had a nice view at the top. Wasn’t to challenging but all in all beautiful area and great day.

Great trail. Originally started off with the intent of doing just Burro Trail but decided to go up to Windy Peak. Climb up to the peak was still a bit messy / with a little snow but nothing terrible. Views at the top were amazing. Definitely worth going to see. Overall great hike with lots of challenging hills. Not a ton of people out. Bring cash ($7 for park pass).

Great hike. Tough elevation gains but great views to reward you. A hike we will go back to for sure. Not too many people, trail was mostly dry with a little bit of mud and snow (no traction required). Don’t forget this is a Colorado state park and requires a day pass.

Gorgeous hike. Not too crowded. The trees aren’t too dense, so you get nice views along the way. Definitely worth the push to get to the peak, as the view is breathtaking. Took quite a long time to do the entire hike due to altitude gains.

Good trail - we hiked it the first week of March and it had a good amount of snow and ice we had to hike through but not too bad even without a nice pair of hiking shoes. We got to see a moose! It did get a little confusing because there are three loops that intersect one another so if you take the wrong turn you have to back track but it was overall very enjoyable. We will be back in the spring!

The terrain varied all the way to the top (meadows, rocky crags, forest). Not much snow until last push to Windy Peak - where traction devices proved very useful. We took Mountain Like back (via Hidden Valley), which was gently downhill pretty much the entire way and gave us different scenery.

Did this trail on Thursday February 8th. There was hardly any snow or ice until the last .5 mile up to Windy Point. It was totally doable with a good pair of shoes. Nice hike, well maintained and marked.

I left my dog leash along the trail somewhere. I hope it finds a happy new home.

I wanted to get a hike in just in case the weather people are right and we get a storm Sunday. Not many people on the trail in the morning but more as the afternoon went on. Since it was a little cool, I was glad Windy Peak didn't live up to it's name. Mostly the trail was very steep, rocky and shady with some breaks of sunshine that warmed me up a bit. It was a beautiful day and a great work out. On the way back to the parking space I took a detour to Hidden Valley and the Tallman Ranch that was interesting.

1.14.18
Beautiful hike. Trail in great condition and well marked. Low traffic. Tough but fun ascent to Windy Peak. Good for the doggos, too.

Hiked this 12/31. Stunning views! Green rolling peaks, snowy vistas and spire like rock columns. Snow partway up, a little slippery but manageable with hiking boots. A must-do!

Beautiful! Must Go.

Clear trail conditions on january 7th. Trails are well marked with only a minimal amount of effort to navigate. Self-service $7 fee to enter park. Hunting season is also open at this trail head, so take extra precaution. No real views to speak of except at the very top of windy peak (which is aptly named).

Windy Peak provides a beautiful, rewarding view of the Continental Divide. On Jan. 1, 2018, the Burro loop was 95% dry and clear of ice and snow. The side trail up to Windy Peak had snow and some ice, but we made it up and down with just hiking boots. Pay attention to each intersection as it's easy to get turned around and the Burro loop requires several right turns. The trial was quiet and we didn't run into anyone until the last mile. There are a few bridges at the beginning and end where your dog can grab a drink.

Beautiful weather. Took me about 3 hours to get to the top.

I went up to the peak and the weather was amazing. The trail is still clearly visible

Beautiful view of grass lands

This trail was fun and beautiful. We had a cloudy day with a little rain so we missed some of the beauty of the views. Hiking poles helped a lot.

Excellent hike with great views. We used Burro to the peak and then returned via Mtn Lion thru Forgotten Valley to visit the old Swedish settlement - terrific dog hike. Highly recommended.

Great day trip from Denver

Hiked this on 9.9.17. Started at 8:15 going clockwise and there were only a few parking spots left at the trailhead (plenty within a half mile though). Nice hike with a variety of landscapes. Aspens were just starting to turn. The meadows on the eastern half of the trail were really pretty.

This hike we thought was hidden valley which is easy, but turned into the burro trail which is pretty hard. Very steep incline entire way up. Some nice shade at the top but the bottom of the trail is fairly open so wear lots of sunscreen and bring a full camelback. Not too many people if you go early. Make sure to bring lots of snacks because this trail is a workout. Overall we'd do it again.

Nice hike. Wasn't technically difficult, but had some large steep stretches. Great views and wasn't too busy.

This is a great trail with clear signs and decent amount of shades. The terrains are steep and demanding at times with lots of loose rocks, therefore pay extra attention to where you step as I slipped and almost sprained my ankle three times descending. View from the peak is nice but not spectacular, I wish I brought some extra treats to reward myself. Bring 2L of water, more if you hike in the summer heat. Overall was a great hike, would recommend.

Lots of trees and rock! Like it, great work out and scenery.

Beautiful views!