Burro Trail

Burro Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

The trail begins off the base of Peak 9, near Quicksilver chairlift. It takes you along a creek through pine forest and meadows. You can eventually connect to Spruce Creek Trail. Great scenery and a relaxing, family-friendly path.

We encountered a MOOSE just past the x-country trail mentioned below. It was a young one and seemed unphased by our presence. We slowly turned around and hiked back down as it was late in the day 4pm. We encountered one downhill skier and quickly jumped off trail. Be alert. He was just as surprised as we were.
We were not familiar with the area and Google maps gave us unnecessarily complicated directions. The parking lot is located at Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center. Pay to park as mentioned. Reviews below very helpful.

We snowshoed this trail today (Thursday, 1/25/18) and it was lovely! The trail does cross the end of the ski trail - but no problem crossing. There is a sign for the trailhead. You have to pay to park in the lot - $15. It is an out and back but an in-the-trees trail that is really quiet and serene once you get away from the resort. There was about 2 ft. of snow off trail. Because the trail is through the forest, it is shaded and the temperature kept the snow perfect for snowshoeing. At one point, there is a x-country trail and we carved a trail along side through deep snow. It was a grand day.

Wife and I hiked on 10/9 and snow wasn’t (yet) an issue at all. We were a little disappointed at the anti-climactic turnaround point. The entire hike is inside a heavily wooded area so no views to speak of, but that’s okay the scenery is still beautiful. The beginning portion when following the creek was our favorite part. The biggest drawback to this hike is that the trail is very poorly marked. I used this app (AllTrails) to navigate and we found our way.

Came down this way from Peak 10. Very pretty trail. Keep your eyes open though as it is easy to walk by the cut offs near the ski resort. Very easy.

Good starter hike if you're a flat lander like me.

Follows the river - we started at quicksilver lift. We hiked all uphill about 2.5 miles then due to time constraints turned around and came back...would like to go further on another day!

Nice shaded areas and beautiful wildflowers

Great moderate trail, not heavily travelled. Enjoy your it!

Nice hike, very convenient location and access. Not tremendous views, but it's a pretty forested hike. Fair amount of snow, especially on upper parts of the trail, but mostly packed so not much postholing. I'd say a 1-2 out of 5 for difficulty if you're in reasonable hiking shape.

Hiked this trail this morning. The weather was amazing. Fairly easy hike. Even today, didn't need snow shoes, just a good pair of hiking boots or shoes.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

I'd say it's one of the easier trails. A good option for a trail run! You start along a pretty creek then it turns wooded. If you want to go to crystal peak you can take this trail from town. Easy accessible from Main Street.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Great trail that is a very convenient walk from town.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Great app

Friday, October 14, 2016

First of all, this trail is pretty much uphill all the way to the top, with a few flat portions. The middle and most of the trail beyond is real rocky and full of pine roots. For an uphill on a Mtn Bike, pretty rugged; be prepared to walk part of it up. At the top I suggest taking a right (I believe this is Spruce Rd) and heading back toward Breckenridge mountain. You can take several trail options that will funnel you down toward Beaver Run. Overall a fun trail. I think better for hiking though.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Beautiful views on a clear day! I really enjoyed my hike even as a solo hiker.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Moderate hike but nothing special. It was a hike to nowhere! Just lead to other trails. Trail was very rocky and amongst overcrowded evergreens with growth only at the top. Very few Aspens.

Monday, September 05, 2016

This was great for a trail-running and mountain-biking team.

Friday, September 02, 2016

great trail and not very difficult...if you like mushrooms this is an awesome place

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Easy flat trail. Beautiful.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Easy hike, beautiful surroundings and very accessible from downtown.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

This is a nice hike and ranges from easy to moderate level of difficulty. While the hike is pretty and you can see mountains through the trees, the view is mostly blocked so there isn't much of a reward for completing the trail. You do, however, have the option to continue on another trail which may yield better scenic views.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Super easy hike and lovely to walk along the water.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Pretty easy hike. Very green and lush. You are in the trees not an open view.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Loved this challenging hike through the Forrest and along a stream. There wasn't a big view at the end but we enjoyed it.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great trail! Lightly travel and everyone we met was friendly. Started at the base and continued the hike on crystal lake trail. Highly recommended just the right amount of challenge for a Floridian on his first real hike.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Great family friendly trail. Walking by the river is gorgeous. After the first two miles or so you're walking in the woods, no river. We walked about 5.9 miles out and then back. Lots of people at first, but by mile 3 they pretty much dropped away.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I live off this trail and use it regularly to go in and out of town. It runs along a shallow but fast creek and there are a couple of bridges. You can make it as long or short as you would like as there are multiple choices for loops. If you have the stamina it will take you all the way to Mohawk Lakes. Beautiful scenery the whole way. Easy to moderate levels as it has a steady incline.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I took this trail all the way to the base of the Mohawk Lakes, but by then was too tired to make the steep climb up to the Mohawk Lakes so I decided to just enjoy the Mayflower Lake near the base. The hike was all uphill, but gradual enough, and I never saw a single person (other than one hunter who lives in a cabin along the trail) and he told me most people only go a little bit from town, and the rest of the trail has nearly no traffic. That was my experience. Once I got near Mohawk Lakes the trail got crowded with people who had driven in - I loved that I had hiked all the way from downtown Breckenridge and enjoyed a quiet trail. I plan to return and do Mohawk Lakes, but from the trailhead to those hikes to save energy. I hiked from 8am to 2:30pm, and bummed a ride back to town to save the return trip, though hiking down would have been a lot easier than up. (obviously)

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Great family friendly trail in town. Old growth pines still there and healthy with a thick pine needle footing and lots of moss etc. Beautiful trail, and kids love it.