Burro Trail

Burro Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

The trail begins off the base of Peak 9, near Quicksilver chairlift. It takes you along a creek through pine forest and meadows. You can eventually connect to Spruce Creek Trail. Great scenery and a relaxing, family-friendly path.

Fun hike with a variety of scenery! Strongly suggest going through Breck and then returning the same way!! Loved this hike!

The first mile is like an amazing fairy tale Forrest right beside the creek! It’s gorgeous!! I went about 4 out of the 6 miles because it got a little creepy the farther I went up. I was alone and I got scared a mountain lion was gonna jump out lol There’s a lot of rocky areas but for the most part its a pretty easy hike. You should at least check out the 1st mile of this trail it’s really incredible.

Great trail! I was staying at the resort so the trailhead was just outside my door. As others have said- mostly shaded, nice wide trail, beautiful creek for the first mile or so. A few “rocky” sections but all relatively short. I went a little more than 3 miles out and had gained about 1,000 ft. So, a great hike for acclimating to altitude. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is the lack of an “oh wow!” Finish. There were very pretty views of the big mountains once you get to about 3 miles...but not a clear/defined finish. Which is okay, too:)

If I do this trail again I will begin in Breckenridge and walk up the Burro Trail to the Spruce Creek area. It is uphill that way. The trail is wide enough for 3 people. Shaded and cool from the creek. At times you have to watch for rocks and tree roots.
Then I would turn around and totally enjoy the walk down the hill back to Breck.
8 miles total. I would rate easy to moderate.

Clear path. Quiet trail close to town.

Just did this with my dog. The trail is a great single track and perfect for trail running and hiking. It cuts through the forest and along a stream and is very peaceful and seemingly removed from the town. We cut off at the top and zig-zagged up the resort roads and then cut across to the Sawmill trail. This was fantastic and offered everything. I would recommend the Burro Trail for those needing to get outside and in the woods quickly and easily.

The Burro Trail provides a great hike near downtown Breckenridge. The trailhead is only about 1/3 of a mile from Main St. Even though you are close to town you feel like you are out in the wilderness. It is heavily wooded so there are no great vistas but the trail is beautiful. We even saw a pair of moose. The trail has gradual grades and only about a mile of it is rocky.

Highly recommended!

This is a nice hike-shaded and follows a stream. It is well maintained and it was dry. In another review I saw this rated as an easy trail-it is not. I am an extremely fit 60 yr. old triathlete and I found it to be more challenging than advertised. The first 1/4 mile or so is fairly flat and then it turns uphill for nearly a mile. Not extreme but not for the unfit. My wife gave up on the hike a little more than a mile in. I was assuming it might flatten out a bit but I don't know since we turned around and came back. I could have easily continued. We did not encounter any views of the mountains. Just the stream and forest. It might open up further on-don't know.

A must see and do

Did this hike on the 4th. We really enjoyed it. Wasn’t very difficult and was in the shade most of the time!

We wanted a trail we could walk to from our hotel since we didn’t have a car.
We decided to take the advance of GoBreck.com recommendation:
Option Two – Ski Run: A popular option is to hike up the ski run on your right/west, travelling underneath the Quicksilver lift. The first hill is steep, but the path flattens out at the top and rewards you with sweeping views of Breckenridge and the Continental Divide. Horses from the Breckenridge Stables can be seen ahead.

We walked around the stables then picked up The Burro trail from there, it’s a great easy trail and lots of shade.
We walked it till we hit the Spruce Creek Trail and jumped on that for the rest of our day.

Nice tame hike with nice scenery. The creek in the beginning is pretty. As you get to the end there are some nice look outs between the trees. My mom (57 yrs) and I (31 yrs) did this without any issues. Make sure on the way down you look for the blue diamonds. There is another trail that connects to it that is highly trafficked so if you aren’t paying attention you could end up down that route. All in all a good morning hike. Took us 2.5 hours. 1.5 hour out and 1 hour back.

Fun and challenging ride up...if you like climbing. And a fast descent. The descent can get annoying on the lower sections because there can be heavy traffic.

Great, family-friendly trail with a few moderate inclines. It follows the creek/river for about a mile which was very nice. The trail takes you through several, slightly different types of terrain from relatively level ground with lots of ground cover, to tree-packed Alpine slopes with lots of open area between the trees as you near the halfway point. Between miles two and three, look to your left frequently to see some very beautiful views of the distant peaks through the treetops.
There was no snow and no mud.
The trailhead was a bit confusing to find. The AllTrails app basically took us in circles.
Turn off Village Road into the Beaver Creek Run public parking lot, just near the Doubletree Hotel Breckinridge. You’ll pay $.50 per hour. Then head uphill towards the ski lift, crossing under it. About three to four hundred yards from the parking lot, uphill, towards the tree line, you’ll see the trailhead sign.

One of the best hikes in the area. The trail offers a very nice and relaxing hike in the forest, and is not too strenuous. It links with the Mohawk lakes trail and I suggest continuing on until the lakes. If you continue to the lakes, it's around 6-7 miles each way, but it is one of the best day hikes.

Very relaxing!!

Nice hike that begins alongside a stream and then gradually ascends.
NOTE: on our way down we found a set of keys. We will return to owner if correctly identified.
Please post here.

Follows a stream for about .25 mile, then through beautiful forested well=marked trail. A pretty easy hike.

This was a great trail for being rated as moderate. For those looking for an easier hike, the first half or so follows the river and has some decent picture opportunities. The trail is well marked with blue diamonds. It is also well shaded for days that are on the hotter side.

We encountered a MOOSE just past the x-country trail mentioned below. It was a young one and seemed unphased by our presence. We slowly turned around and hiked back down as it was late in the day 4pm. We encountered one downhill skier and quickly jumped off trail. Be alert. He was just as surprised as we were.
We were not familiar with the area and Google maps gave us unnecessarily complicated directions. The parking lot is located at Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center. Pay to park as mentioned. Reviews below very helpful.

We snowshoed this trail today (Thursday, 1/25/18) and it was lovely! The trail does cross the end of the ski trail - but no problem crossing. There is a sign for the trailhead. You have to pay to park in the lot - $15. It is an out and back but an in-the-trees trail that is really quiet and serene once you get away from the resort. There was about 2 ft. of snow off trail. Because the trail is through the forest, it is shaded and the temperature kept the snow perfect for snowshoeing. At one point, there is a x-country trail and we carved a trail along side through deep snow. It was a grand day.

Wife and I hiked on 10/9 and snow wasn’t (yet) an issue at all. We were a little disappointed at the anti-climactic turnaround point. The entire hike is inside a heavily wooded area so no views to speak of, but that’s okay the scenery is still beautiful. The beginning portion when following the creek was our favorite part. The biggest drawback to this hike is that the trail is very poorly marked. I used this app (AllTrails) to navigate and we found our way.

Came down this way from Peak 10. Very pretty trail. Keep your eyes open though as it is easy to walk by the cut offs near the ski resort. Very easy.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Good starter hike if you're a flat lander like me.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Follows the river - we started at quicksilver lift. We hiked all uphill about 2.5 miles then due to time constraints turned around and came back...would like to go further on another day!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Nice shaded areas and beautiful wildflowers

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Great moderate trail, not heavily travelled. Enjoy your it!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Nice hike, very convenient location and access. Not tremendous views, but it's a pretty forested hike. Fair amount of snow, especially on upper parts of the trail, but mostly packed so not much postholing. I'd say a 1-2 out of 5 for difficulty if you're in reasonable hiking shape.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Hiked this trail this morning. The weather was amazing. Fairly easy hike. Even today, didn't need snow shoes, just a good pair of hiking boots or shoes.

Sunday, April 16, 2017