Burro Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,272 feet Route Type: Loop

We arrived at 0815 and squeezed into a parking spot. Make sure to get a park pass at the box heading in. We have a state park pass, but rangers were giving out warnings. Saw one moose!

Beautiful hike. The inclines are steep and will get your heart pumping, but the views and the environment changes make it all worth it. I went on a weekend morning and the parking lot was already almost full by 7:15 a.m. That being said, if you can only go on a weekend, but want to avoid people, I'd recommend getting to the trail head by 6:30 or so at least! In addition to the steady flow of hikers, there were also tons of dogs and several mountain bikers headed up the trail by the time I was nearing the parking lot at around 9:45 a.m.

Beautiful trail; wildflowers, some shaded areas, challenging incline, nice views. Small sectio s where poles would be helpful for those with cranky knees.

Really great trail. Went on a Monday around 2:30 PM and not many on the trail. Be careful at the end because we got lost at the beginning of the way back for a little bit.

icy

Beautiful and enjoyable hike. Trail still has some snow in parts - crampons definitely a good idea. Went later in the afternoon and there was only a few parking spots left. Everyone’s out getting out their yayas!

I didn't make the right turn to head off to Windy Peak so my trail was pretty much Burro Trail most of my hike. Beautiful day though and the doggo was happy. Next time I'll try to make it to the top!

Show shoes or micro spikes needed...most/all of trail is snow covered

fee
icy

Highly recommend spikes for this trail as there are various patches of ice throughout. Otherwise, great conditions and nice hike.

icy

Very icy and slippery but still nice. Good views, easy to follow the trail, only a few steep spots. Would recommend spikes for your shoes, although I didn’t have them and was fine but would have felt safer with them I think.

icy

5.5 miles, not 4.9, but lovely hike with pretty decent inclines. Hiked 1/7/19, and large parts of the trail are completely iced over. Would definitely recommend spikes and maybe poles!

Kinda icy in parts!

Nice trail, not technical or overly challenging. If doing the hike make sure to go to Windy Point, awesome views (plus it surely lives up to it’s name).

Nice combination of forest and open space… amazing meadows!

recorded Burro Loop Trail

If you’re bringing Fido - the stream follows the beginning but the hard part (windy trail) doesn’t have any water access so be sure to bring some. There’s a split to either take burro straight or turn left to take burro to windy trail - they will all get you to the same spot but the straight way will take you through an overgrown part then steep rocks. If you’re not a fan of steep rocks uphill, go the other way. Definitely wish I had my poles with me and some good hiking shoes. The views on windy trail are amazing though so definitely do it all! Went on a Thursday late morning and there was plenty of parking.

lots of wild flowers. pretty difficult at times. my dog was able to do it. it started raining on us on the way out so we got drenched.