Burning Bear Trail

Burning Bear Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jefferson, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bailey: Eastern Trailhead: From Bailey drive west on Highway 285 for 10.8 miles to Grant. Turn right (north) on Park county Road #62 (sometimes called the Guanella Pass Road) and drive 4.9 miles to the trailhead at a turn in the road. There is a sign and gate on the left (north) side of the road at the trailhead. Parking is available .2 miles further at the parking area for Abyss Lake Trail.

Feb. 9, 2019. This was a bautiful hike and despite a bit of a late start we were fortunate to have great weather. The trail starts off with a packed path that narrows as you go and basically became single track. We started off carrying our snowshoes since it was mostly packed. However, we put snowshoes on about a mile in and it would have been better if we started with them. Because of the late start we only made it just passed the second river crossing (both had crossings). Trail was a gradual ascent throughout the hike. At the second river crossing it got a bit steeper and rockier but we were still able to use shoes. Turned back at that point but will definitely be back to complete the trail.

nice hike. didn't take the snowshoes today, but after the first 1.5 miles or so they could've been used. At 2.5 miles in I kind of wish I had them, but the trail wasn't too hard to find and there was still significant snow pack so I didn't sink too much. At the very end (I think, at least) the trail did just kind of disappear. I saw the blue diamond I was following on a tree with 3 yellow rectangles and my recording looked like I had gotten to the end so I turned around there (at that point I had gone thigh deep in snow)

Lovely hike through the forest. Best views are in the first mile and then it’s about enjoying the serenity of the forest. Follows and crosses the stream which is mostly frozen at this time of year. Trail was well broken, mostly packed snow the whole way, some bare spots. Could do it with boots, traction was helpful. Could use snowshoes but not necessary. Made it to the 4 mile mark where it flattens out and there are some nice logs to sit on for a snack.

Took family there to snowshoe Dec 29, 2018. Was a beautiful hike, though not enough snow to merit needing snowshoes. Would love to return in summer

Great escape from the city, as I did not see a single soul on my entire hike. The trailhead was not exactly right across the street from the parking lot as my map had indicated. Look for the gate in the fence.

Nice snowshoe. Easy to follow and I had it mostly to myself on a Tuesday morning. Didn’t need snowshoes or traction until a mile in.

Great, easy hike off Guanella Pass road. Lots of parking. Gradual incline but nothing major- beautiful in the fall when the leaves are changing.

9 degrees in the parking lot this morning when we headed out around 9:45AM. No wind in the trees. Looks like a good one to do in the summer too.

Parking lot to "top" -- 7.6 miles, 1,469' elevation gain (i.e. the miles / elevation on the trail description is wrong - whoever mapped the trail turned back early so don't rely on the AllTrails map).

Very pleasant hike on a Saturday in June. We saw two other people on the trail the entire time. The first 1+ mile is the most scenic, as it closely follows the stream and has stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Most of the rest of the trail is in the trees, with some near a creek -- very peaceful, easy / moderate trail.

Easy and pretty... evergreens,aspens,rivers, peak views. 6 month puppy loved it.

Super easy for all ability levels. No gear needed, didn’t touch my snow shoes. Peaceful hike through the woods, not your huge vista finale.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Hard enough snow pack that snowshoes are not useful/necessary today. As always, strong winds unless you’re under tree cover.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Snowshoed this trail today. Beautiful, quiet and serene. Not many people on the trail. Great workout. I’ll hit it again.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

We were looking for an easy hike where we could enjoy the fall colors and as a diversion during our drive along Guanella Pass. We were shooting to make it to the ridge, and I believe we did, but we didn't really know it because there wasn't any sort of vista. It was a good hike for what we were looking for today.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

We have been hiking in the Denver foothills the last two weeks and we've encountered so much ice. So we wanted to find a place to snowshoe that wasn't as treacherous as the icy foothills. Snow has all but melted in Denver and in the foothills. But this trail is high enough that it still has plenty of snow. The snow was hard packed from many others going before us. So it was easier than cutting a trail in fresh powder. My two companions put on their micro spikes and walked on the way back. One was exhausted from snowshoeing and the other wanted to try out her new micro spikes. We saw three other people on the trail. The trail is completely in the trees. So we were protected from some of the wind. It was snowing as we got up higher but it didn't seem to be accumulating. Glad we went!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

12 miles from Guanella Pass Rd to the end of the trail (at CR60 in Park County) and back. (6 miles each way) Total elevation gain and loss of 3300 ft. the trail is beautiful but I thought the end was somewhat anti-climactic.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Went to snowshoe the trail, all but the last 1/2 a mile didn't have enough snow to need snowshoes. Nice hike through the trees though

Sunday, November 15, 2015

I have never done this trail in the summer but it is a great winter trail. There are lots of wildlife and history. It is well marked with blue diamonds to the ridge.

Friday, August 16, 2013

It was in the trees pretty much the whole hike. Which in turn means no views of the surrounding mountains. It is a easy hike thou. It follows a stream in a valley for a ways. This would be a good beginner hike for people and kids. There is a ranch nearby that uses the trail for horse back riding. No big deal thou; just watch where you step.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Great trail!! Didn't go all the way, but about half. Took our golden retrievers, and they loved hiking next to the water!! Beautiful views!!