Bunce School Road, Ironclads and Plane Crash 4x4 Trails

Bunce School Road, Ironclads and Plane Crash 4x4 Trails is a 15.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

The historic Bunce School, impressive Ironclads, and interesting plane wreckage. Abundant dispersed camping. Bunce School Road is part county road and part forest road. Bunce School Road is mostly easy with a few moderate spots. Side trips to the Ironclads and T-33 Plane Crash are rocky, steep and difficult. The final climb to the Ironclads is extremely steep, but you are close enough at that point to hike the rest of the way.

off road driving

Most of the trail would qualify as easy, but the trails at the northeast make up for it in difficulty in and around the crash site. All and All a fun site with a wide range of difficulty.

really fun my 4runner went through with ease on main trail and one of the branch off roads is when the fun started cant wait to go back!

This trail is a lot of fun but a lot of rental traffic that have no trail courtesy for other riders.

off road driving

We wanted to try some off roading for the first time in Colorado and we are glad we went to Bunce. I drive a Tacoma with a ToyTec 3” lift on 33’s. We wanted to go during the week since we heard weekends can be crazy with people on ATV’s and quads. The trail was dry minus puddles and we only used 4 Low a couple times. The ride down 105 was rough going towards the lake area (which is closed to off roading). When I say rough, we made it just fine, didn’t need a spotter, but it was a lot of rocking back and forth on the rocks. I honestly could have done this trail in a stock height Tacoma with no problems. I was happy to get to put my Taco to good use! I would recommend this for anyone wanting to have some fun.

Oh we even saw a Moose! I upload pics. And I took a video on my GoPro of most the trail and will upload the link.

off road driving

T-33 crash trail is still closed as of 5/13/18 but Ironclads was fun. The little bit of rain we've had made for a few mud puddles here and there. Good day of wheeling!
2000 4Runner, 3" lift on 33"s

off road driving

Plane crash trail is closed as of last weekend. I don’t have much experience off-roading and thought Bunch school road was easy to moderate in my stock Tacoma TRD Off-road. Ironclads was challenging, and I was very glad to have a spotter with me. Very fun trail and definitely worth the drive from Denver.

off road driving

Just got a 2017 Toyota Tacoma sr5 and wanted to take it for a spin. Had a great time. I must have taken the easier route because it was not that hard. I would give it an easy to moderate rating. Great fun. Planning to go back.

off road driving

awesome trail all around. perfect amount of obstacles for me, at a difficulty that had me thinking about it a couple times. got everything first try and didn't break anything. great views and the crash site is very interesting. if you would like to see a video of every obstacle i have one up at:

07 ranger manual
bilsteins
33psi
33"
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Great time! Great ride! Plane crash trail took some strategy and a little help navigating. I did it easily without a locker. Lots of big rocks and ledges. I used my tube rear a couple of times. I thought for sure I was going to use my sliders but I never did. We took a ton of great pics of the crash site. We had so much fun! I can't wait to get back again!

off road driving

It's a good one but sometimes has A LOT of atv/dirt bike traffic. A few nice places to shoot as well.

Monday, June 12, 2017

it was good had to use 4low couple times

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Great place for off road vehicles. Get there early if you want a good spot.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Moderate and fun. You'll probably need a locker or two in the winter.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Awesome trail and day trip!

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Lots of places to allow people to pass, lots of activity, snow packed last weekend prompted some winch use. Good time!

Monday, October 24, 2016

This place was pretty cool! My fiance and I found this place from much research on dispersed camping not too far from Boulder. The drive to Bunce School Rd was beautiful and the trail was just as great! We have a 07 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 2WD and it handled the beginning of the trail with ease. The further we got into the trail, the more steep and rocky it became and we decided to pull over for the night on 105 right before you cross the creek at a designated spot with a fire ring and off trail parking area. We literally car camped- folded down the seats, laid down a pallet, and even set up our mini projector to watch a movie! When we set up came, we didn't see or hear anyone but around 8 am, the rumble of 4 wheelers, ATVs, and 4x4s were everywhere. When we woke up we started to hike around the trail to explore the area on foot. Beautiful views of the forest around you and the valley close by! My phone was dead otherwise I would have pictures to upload...guess that means we have to make another trip out soon before winter arrives! We will definitely be back! Hopefully, we can find a good place to rent 4 wheelers next time for a decent price - any suggestions would be great!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Great 4x4 trail for high clearance vehicles. There are a couple of somewhat technical rock sections, but no problem for most light SUVs. Expect OHV traffic on weekends

Saturday, June 17, 2017