Buffalo Peaks Loop

Buffalo Peaks Loop is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I listened to the advice and went counter clockwise on 9/30/17. It was the tail end of aspen season and the landscape was pretty boring for 10 miles. We were very disappointed in the hike. At 10 miles we hit “the view” which was 2 miles from the trailhead and only looking back. I recommend just going left from the Rich Creek Trailhead and walking out 3 miles so you get to stare at the pretty view the whole time and turning this into a nice 6 mile hike. It has TONS of aspens so go during high season here to avoid the Kenosha crowd.

Outstanding hike. Beautiful scenery, including flaming aspens. Highly recommend.

We just went for a one nighter on the 19th and 20th. The trail was awesome and we still got to see a good amount of wildflowers. I had a newbie backpacker with us and I'd say the hiking was a bit harder for him than expected. We went counterclockwise and the last bit of major ups and downs were tough. There was a lot of access to water, dead and down firewood to use, and the trail remained obvious throughout the loop. I'd say we ran into a max of 8-10 people on the trail too. All in all, beautiful country and an awesome hike!

Great trail to hike and we saw lots of people camping. There are beaver dams along the river and tons of picturesque views. Definitely take a camera, water and maybe a snack if you are not camping. Took us about 5 hours with stopping to take a lot of pictures.

This was an awesome first backpacking trip for my wife and our friends! Beautiful views and great camping. Lots of access to water too.

Did this trail this past weekend and LOVED it. Started on Rich Creek trail and hiked the loop counter clockwise (as recommended) and it was perfect. beautiful scenery, easy to follow trail, woods, meadows, and wild flowers galore. Camped around mile 6-7 out on a hill overlooking the meadows, but with plenty of shelter from the trees. Was lucky enough to see Elk and deer in the early evening and Moose romping through the ponds in the morning. Saw a few people early on Rich Creek Trail but after mile 3 we had the trail and any camp site of our choosing all to ourselves. Continue to have the trail to ourself until a few miles in the next morning. Plenty of Water flowing through the creek so bring a water filter and enjoy clean cold water to drink throughout the whole trail.

Really nice trail, some hard spots to go up with 40lbs on your back, but also some easy spots in between. Great camp spots along the way make it easy to break up into 4 mile hikes. Did 2 nights, one in a valley in the open and the other in a rocky area along a stream under coverage.

Seems like the area has dried out a bit, since last reviewer. I was able to make all water crossings without getting my feet wet at all. Spring flowers are out at the moment too.

Did the loop this weekend. It is a good trail with lots of nice views. A couple of things though; when you get to the trail head there are no signs that say Buffalo Peaks Loop. The west half of the trail is Rich Creek trail 616. The east half is Tumble Creek Trail 617. It took me going back and forth on the map and the signs a couple of times to figure this out. So if you go counter clockwise like I did, you will be starting on Rich Creek Trail 616. Also the trail head and where Tumble Creek Trail 617 meets Lynch Creek are flooded out. I would suggest waterproof boots and being prepared to get a little muddy. There is a part on the south side of the loop along Tumble Creek Trail 617 that you have to cross the creek. There is a SINGLE log about 6 inches in diameter that has been flattened on the top to cross. The log is starting to rot and was pretty sketchy to cross. Plus the creek at that point is flowing pretty fast and there are a ton of boulders. If you were to go in the water here with a pack on it would not be a good day for you. My roommate had his dog and she refused to cross that SINGLE log. He had to pick her up and carry her across. If that 70lbs dog had started to wiggle they would have fallen the 5 or 6 feet into the creek on those boulders. I would say when the snow is melting and the creek is really flowing find another place to cross. I am not a big backpacker but even with a fully loaded pack I could have easily have done the loop in a day. Overall, would love to do it again later in the season so hopefully those parts mentioned would not be flooded out.

Hiked and camped this in 2004. Was able grab the west peak as well. Highly recommend.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

We did this as a day trip. It took us five hours to hike the loop counter clockwise. Counter clockwise allows for a more gradual elevation gain. There were great fall colors particularly between miles 7 and 10 (if done counter clockwise), where you can look up the valley at the Mosquito range and there are a lot of aspens. When done as a day trip, 11.6 miles can be a bit long, although the trail is quite flat for long sections, particularly on the backside of the loop. Overall this is a great hike with minimal crowds and great views particularly in the fall. Would make a great trail run!

Friday, September 09, 2016