Buffalo Pass Lakes Loop

Buffalo Pass Lakes Loop is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail was so hard to find! We walked up past some of the camp grounds and stumbled upon it. And it is not marked or well kept so we got lost and went off the trail a few times. Thankfully I was able to use the map on this to see if our GPS location showed us on the trail still, or which direction we needed to go. This is the only way we knew we had found the trail in the first place. Very pretty, and moderate trail, my little-hiking-experience friend and pup did great on it though. There were I think 4 little lakes on the hike, lots of pines and the weather was perfect today. Very low trafficked, I guess today was the end of hunting season so if you go during this season wear something colorful. The drive up to the parking lot is gorgeous right now with all the aspen changing color! Really really bumpy so you can’t bring a low clearance car up here.

The first 2 lakes are beautiful. However, agree with Amanda Miller. We spent lots of times wandering looking for a trail. We found one finally that took us from Summit Lake to the first lake. The app was horrible on a cell phone. Anyway, we did get lost. Thanks goodness for Google Maps and a phone that did not die. Of a 5-6 hour "hike", we spent about 2 hours on trails. I would go again but study a map on the website with the satellite and compare with Google Maps. May not ever use Alltrails again because of this. Made it sound like a simple, well marked trail. Trailhead for this hike is not even marked at parking areas.

Tried to hike this trail, but it’s not marked, was very difficult to find, and wasn’t well used. We abandoned the attempt because we worried about getting lost. I recommend the nearby Wyoming trail instead.