Buffalo Pass Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 459 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Mon Jul 30 2018

Very pretty trail on mostly open meadows. Does seem like you are walking on an off toad trail

Mon Oct 09 2017

Nice, easy hike with our dog, with great fall views of Aspen foliage and the surrounding mountains.

Fri Aug 18 2017

We saw a bear cross the road in front of us on the drive up to the trail head. Trail is easy and has great views

Sat Jul 29 2017

Family and I did this trail on July. It was a nice pretty ride. The first little bit is a smooth little fire road. The further in you get the rougher it gets. The last mile or so gets pretty rocky with the last little hill pretty rocky. The scenery is pretty good with some really pretty mountain meadows. There are camping spots along the way. Also some nice aspen groves. Overall a nice quality off-roading that I'd not overly challenging. I would recommend a good off road car. We saw one or two non-4wheel cars but I would not recommend for the last couple miles for sure.

Sun Aug 07 2016

Definitely a rough road: as last post mentions, have some clearance or bottom out in numerous places. Nonetheless, this trail was fun-filled, full of wonderful sights and well worth the effort needed to make it to the top. Happy off-roading!

Sat Jun 18 2011

Rough road, you need some ground clearance. Probably closed until mid June, check with ranger station in Steamboat. I'm told fishing is good and saw some camping sites. Go to the backside of Rabbit Ears for a short hike and have lunch. I'd give it 5 stars if the main road from town was not so rutted out.

Fri Sep 28 2018