Buffalo Mountain Trail

Buffalo Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverthorne, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,011 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

skiing

Boulder field is steep and brutal to climb in the snow. View back is amazing of course. Saw a solitary mountain goat at the top - had to get out of its way because it was coming down to us with no fear.

icy

This is a difficult hike at the boulder field. The field is a long climb. Going to the ridge and hiking that makes it longer. Coming down is tedious and difficult. Views are great.

Hiked the trail on September 28, 2019. The views were amazing with the Fall foliage covering summit county. Probably the prettiest hike I’ve done this year. The views make this summit worth it. This hike is harder than a handful of 14ers I have done. The boulders were smaller than I expected after reading other reviews. Don’t get me wrong, this was hard and time consuming but it wasn’t as hard as I had imagined it to be. I was able to find and follow the cairns through the entire boulder field.I’m an average paced hiker and it took me about 3 hours to Summit. The good part of the Boulder field is it weeds many hikers out and I was able to experience the summit alone and take panoramic photos without a ton of people in them (like Bierstadt). The hike up to the boulder field is very pretty with many lookout points to the valley and Lake Dillon. It is still a decent hike if you are short on time or don’t want to commit to a straight hour of scrambling. The mile before the boulder field still gets pretty steep and a few areas are slippery. I would not hike this trail without trekking poles.

We did the first mile of this trail (late Sept) with our young children. Trail is in good condition, well-maintained. It was no problem for our six year old; we carried our younger children. The trail starts off with a climb that had us breathing hard, then levels out until the fork. After the fork, the climb got steeper again until the place where we stopped, at the log cabin foundation- one mile from trailhead. The hike gets more difficult after this point, so it was a good place to turnaround for our group. Coming down was a pleasant relief. Beautiful scenery, not busy on a weekday. Amazing views of Lake Dillon and surrounding areas. Overall, a great family hike.

This is one of the best and rewarding hikes I’ve done! The boulder field is pretty intimidating but if you take it slow it’s totally doable and worth the views at the top. A hard trail, but the 360 Mountain View’s at the top make it so worth it.

My recorded info got messed up. But, regardless what a trek! Should have taken twice the amount of water that i did. Not for the faint of heart or weak of knee. Going up in the morning to eat lunch on the peak was perfect. There was a little rock build-up for a wind break. I got to take a nap there for almost an hour. Only saw a group of three other than I up there, but they soon left. King of the Mountain here!!!

recorded Buffalo Mountain Trail

I disliked this hike. The boulder field 2/3 of the way to the top is a pain to get through and even worse to come through again on the way down. Views aren’t anything great. People passing me coming down said they saw mountain goats but I didn’t. Also, the parking lot holds about 15 cars so get there early.

Trail is very well maintained until you hit the rocks. Then it’s extremely hard to follow and I just scrambled my way up the bolder field. Once you get pass the first false summit the trail is easy to follow and the summit isn’t too far up. Coming down the bolder field is more of making up your path out. I do not recommend bringing a dog on the trail. A guy I met on trail is from search and rescue and stated that they make trips up this trail a year to rescue dogs.

Great trail it is rocky halfway up. It is very hard to follow the trail in the boulders both up and down. Be careful on the drive to the parking lot police sit around the neighborhood and the speed limit is 30.

The boulder/rock garden half way up is too challenging for me and an older dog on a leash. I plan to revisit it again solo. The highlight of the hike was the burn area with all the beautiful wild flowers.

Pretty rough getting through the rock field however the views at the top are worth it!

Clearly, we did this trail wrong because it took us 8 hours and 6.9 miles. That second boulder field is no joke, yes there are cairns but they are so sporadic and you are just boulder hopping trying to get to the top. Oh and it’s extra fun when boulders start moving.

The boulder field makes this a fairly challenging hike. But the views from the top are comparable to the best from the twelve 14ers I've done. I started about 7:30AM and the parking lot had 2 other cars. But then it was a Wednesday. The cairns in the boulder field help only somewhat, but I appreciate the effort.

amazing trail to try.

Great hike!! Definitely have the app on, it’s a little hard to navigate the trail through the boulder field. A bunch of goats at the top today!

Fantastic hike! Boulder section gets weird but just work your way up and you’ll make it!!

Parking Warning! If you park anywhere other than the parking lot. They will give you a $50 ticket. There is a place about a half-mile down the road that looks like you can park there. False. You may not. Other than getting a ticket, this hike was beautiful. The boulder field was rough, we got a little lost coming down and it got a little scary, but we found our way back to the trail. I would wear long pants and hiking boots so your legs and feet don't get scratched up. The views from the top were fantastic. Two mama goats and their babies decided to join us for lunch at the top. We didn't feed them, of course, they just appeared and hung out until we left.

Rough climb, didn’t make it to the peak this time. Got almost halfway up the boulder field and decided to turn back. Wear hiking footwear.