Buena Vista to Tincup OHV Route

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(12)
Arapaho National Forest

Buena Vista to Tincup OHV Route is a 51.7 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for camping, fly fishing, and off road driving and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 51.7 km Elevation Gain: 1,436 m Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

This is a very nice scenic trail to off-road. It has some cruising points and many additional offloading trials to hit as well. Many points are slow crawling with boulders, especially on your way to Mirror Lake so a lift would be ideal, but nothing too treacherous. Great fishing at the lake, which is gorgeous, and plenty of areas to take a picnic. Tincup is a historic Town and very cool place to end.

ohv/off road driving

10-13-19 - Trail was in great shape! No snow, ice, or mud. We drove a 4x4 4Runner with a 2in lift and didn’t have any issues whatsoever. This trail is cake if you can handle 277 up to Antero. Some slower rocky areas, but nothing crazy. Breathtaking views of the lake and changing aspens. Definitely recommend!

ohv/off road driving

First trail with our new Jeep. Ventured off onto Mt Antwero for a little bit but had to turn back because of ice. Resumed trail to Tincup pass. Very bumpy but manageable. Amazing views

ohv/off road driving

Definitely 4x4, hug the shoreline at mirror lake (about 25" water fording for less than 100 yards).

ohv/off road driving

Great trail, not too difficult, the back side of the Pass is still snow packed. There’s one large mud bog close to the top that I wouldn’t attempt without lockers.

ohv/off road driving

fun experience, best sandwich sop in colorado located in tincup, super cute porch to eat on during your adventure. use of atv

closed
Sat May 04 2019

Tin cup was snowed in could even get to the hood part. May 4 2019

Thu May 31 2018

An outstanding adventure on my Honda CRF450X. The views are stunning and the trail allows for some faster riding and some technical but nothing overly difficult or challenging. The trail seems like it would be easy for almost and 4x4 right until you near the summit which is when the rating seems accurate. Many, many places to set up a tent along the way. As of today, May 31st, 2018, the trail is snowed over at the top of Tin Cup Pass. I did reach the summit without a problem but that is where the fun ended. Zero chance of a Jeep going around it but I ~might~ have been able to find an alternate route around and back to the trail. BUT I ALWAYS STAY THE TRAIL!!! Please do the same!!! I can’t wait to get back and try again, this time I plan to go at least as far as Taylor Reservoir. If the trading post has gas I’ll stretch my journey even further but I’m limited on fuel when traveling on my motorcycle. I would guesstimate that the snow would be gone in a week or so.

Tue Nov 14 2017

First time I did just this route as I was alone, I intend to take some of the detour trails on my next time on this trail. My photos say 2016 instead of 17, but i w3ent the day of the Eclipse. Serius XM works the entire route, Nice cell coverage over the route. Some cruising points, a little paved roads, plenty of rough dirt roads, and plenty of boulders to crawl over, and lots of additions trails along the way. I stopped and checked out a waterfall along the way. on a slight detour. Overall a very fun and enticing trail, that i plan to tackle a couple more times as I explore the additional trails the splice off. Plan this as a day trip and possibly overnight if you plan on taking the side trail as well. You will also Stop at the Continental Divide on Tincup Pass which is the highest point before you cruise on down to Mirror Lake. I initially took this route as I was planning a fishing trip at Taylor Res, Wich has great deals on boats, and had tons of fun catching lots of fish, that lake is full...... no joke.

Wed Mar 28 2018