Buck Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(115)
Avon, Colorado

Buck Creek Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avon, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,594 feet Route Type: Out & Back

While this is a beautiful hike, I don't feel it is a moderate hike. it is mostly an uphill climb. I found myself having to stop regularly to catch my breath, which isn't normal.

good conditions! very little mud, still a small amount of snowpack about 2 miles in.

Much better than last week. A lot of snow has melted. Saw a 700 pound black panther, a 40 foot boa constrictor and a field mouse having tea.

Great hike close to Avon. Trail is next to stream most of the way..lovely waterfall. Beautiful views on the return portion! Nice meadow at top to relax in and watch voles swimming in the little pond!

Awesome hike. Gradual incline from the beginning to the end with a few leveled spots. Not a whole lot of shade with small aspen leaves, but I went on an overcast day. Good for beginners/dogs/12+yrs. Was able to make it to the end of the trail according to AllTrails but did notice you can keep going at the top. There are snowy areas toward the top where you can see muddy tracks guiding you where to go. Or, if you don’t have snow shoes or waterproof boots, you can make it around the snow on some of the rock ledges. Beautiful views and active wild life (saw a marmot/woodchuck, a snake, and many birds).

Pretty but not much blooming yet and I couldn't make it the whole way bc the snow got pretty treacherous at the top. Better to wait for the rest to melt. A steep incline on the way there! Great exercise for a beginner like me!

Could not get to all the way up because of the snow. Met 10-15ppl in 2 hours.

I'd would say this is more of a "hard" trail rather than "moderate". It's quite steep most of the way with not much to look at. Trail was dry most of the way up- late April. I think this trail is just ok

Snow at the top. Keep your doggos on a leash we saw a skunk near the top! Great hike, beautiful views and a babbling creek

As it happens this time of year, it is very muddy at the bottom and you need snowshoes after about 1 mile up. Beautiful views and not too many people.

Beautiful at the top but had to work to get there. The trail started out muddy and gradually became snow/ice. In just hiking boots, I fell through the crust on knee deep snow frequently, especially on the way down. Will probably go again in a month when the trail is in better shape.

fun uphill trail. the recent snow made the scenery beautiful. The last half mile to the halfway point I was breaking trail and nobody had been that far since the recent snow. great trek. took two hours to get to the turnaround and one hour to get back. saw recent evidence of a large cat in the area climbing Aspen trees. Fresh claw marks. be aware

I like this Trail because it is super close to the lodging and resorts in Avon and it's pretty chill. I bet it's beautiful when the Aspens have leaves but I think I missed that by a week or two. Still a nice hike.

Colors were beautiful! This was a good hike with some nice inclines! It ended at a beautiful meadow, perfect for a snack. There were other trails that branched off that we did not explore.

Steep entire time. Next yo river but doesn’t really open up.

goes to a trail intersection in a meadow. Way past prime on the trail though view across I-70 looked nice

Loved the aspen, mountain lupine, and hiking partners.

Great short hike, took us about an hour and a half. I would say it leans more toward the strenuous end of moderate, though. Beautiful wildflowers, and we had the trail to ourselves on a Friday afternoon. Saw two snakes and tons of butterflies. The trail is a bit overgrown, which was honestly a refreshing change from front range hikes.

excellent trail with beautiful flowers. this trail is part of larger trail system. overgrowth was not a problem.

Wowza! Overgrown is an understatement. The grass was up to our waist a good majority of the hike. Not many bugs though! The wildflowers were still beautiful and the meadow at the end was worth the hike!

Kind of overgrown, but still a wonderful hike! Family and I found a geocache and it was super fun.

I could see how it is beautiful but right now it is super dense with grass and foliage. The path is extremely narrow and we were getting whambasted with pollen. Literally came out yellow. It is a very steep climb all the way up with a few flatter areas in between. We did not go all the way up due to the path being overtaken with foliage.