Buchanan Pass / Camp Dick Trail

Buchanan Pass / Camp Dick Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Fun hike with the kids! We hiked in a few miles - the river was beautiful, there were many boulders for the kids to scramble up on, and my daughter was thrilled with all of the wildflowers.

Great easy beginner hike. It's only 3.5 miles to where Buchanan Pass Trail starts and it's another 7 or so to the lake. We only did the first 3.5 but there is lots of water for dogs. Park at Camp Dick and the trailhead is close to the parking lot about 300 m or so. Great hike that is relaxing and not strenuous.

This is a very easy hike with very little elevation, so it's great for beginners. We hiked it with our dog, and it was nice because there is a stream most of the way, and a TON of shade coverage. Great for hot days, between the shade and the water. We started at Camp Dick, and the trail head is all the way at the back of the camp grounds. The trail is about 300 feet from the parking. The Camp Dick part of the trail gets you to the start of buchannon pass, and it's another 6 miles or so to the glacier lake. The first 3.5 miles are very flat, with lots of shade and water for dogs.

Nice Trail but near a 4x4 road so sometimes noisy

Went all the way out to Red Deer Lake. Total round trip was 14 miles but worth it. The beginning half of the hike mapped out on this trail log is way less impressive than the back half out to Red Deer Lake. Beautiful hike, worth the effort.

Did a 5-mile out and back. Was along a river but flowing too fast for dogs. Tons of downed trees. In the 5 miles it was about 550 feet so I'd rate that part easy. No views on this part of trail. Low-ish traffic on a Saturday. Would give more stars if it had views or some variety. But maybe that's later in the trail. The part I did was sort of run of the mill.

Good easy trail. Did about 7.5 miles in/out. Some snow and lots of water on trail. Quite a few downed trees as well.

April is a little early to ride this trail due to snow drifts but still pretty. Pleasant Valley Resort and Spa is just down the road and is a VERY neat place to stay by yourself or with your horse.

Great fall hike. Not too busy.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Very wet conditions. I'll post some photos. Great workout for my out-of-shape arse, and very technical. Even the 4WD road was tougher to ride than I expected. Gal in Jeep commented, "how the h*** are you doing this on a bike?!?!" Once I crossed the bridge to take the single track trail down, the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile was too tough for me to ride, and I think I'm decent with technical rides. Lots of on & offs. The rest of the downhill was great. I didn't see any other bikers, plenty of hikers. Wet / muddy conditions. If I did it again, I would ride the single trail out and back to avoid the 4WD road. I tracked this with a iPhone, so the GPS gets a little wonky. No cell service with AT&T or TMobile.

Saturday, June 04, 2016