Browns Pass Hartenstein Lake Trail

Browns Pass Hartenstein Lake Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This can be a challenging hike, especially if you are carrying multi-day packs, but it has beautiful views. The Brown's Pass trail starts off with an incline- it is a hard uphill hike for the first 2 miles. The trail itself is pretty rocky, which can cause some footing problems. Lake Harenstein is definitely doable as a day hike. There are some lovely little camping spots with fire rings and ample sources of water that make it a nice backpacking option for those looking to spend a bit more time out.

I've done this in the winter and summer. Summertime I've done the trail to Hartenstein Lake w/ my son and his friends when they were about 11. Personally I don't think it should be rated difficult unless you take the trail up to Yale. It was a fun first "real camping" trip for the kids.
In the winter if you're going to do it bring your snow shoes even if there is no snow down at the TH. I made this mistake once (LOL!!) and wound up postholing a good 2 miles in waste deep snow with my dog. That was a treat. Fun trail otherwise.
**** update*** I've done this trail numerous times over the years (winter/ summer) but never have I seen it as crowded as I did this past Wednesday- Friday(7/19-7/21)!!!! Trails are all getting crowded. On the plus side no one was camping out at the lake. It POURED out Wednesday night. Got up early and saw a moose on the other side of the lake before the hoardes started hiking up. All my times up there I've never seen one. Great to see with my son.

On July 6, 2017 - we hiked from Denny Creek to Browns Pass, went down to look at the old Brown's Cabin then back and up the switchback to the Yale shoulder and almost down to Kroenke Lake before a storm started to move in so we turned around. Vigorous hike with a few streams to walk through. Only one large patch of snow on the switchback to Kroenke. BEAUTIFUL views!

We hiked this trail on June 11th but only went as far as the cut off to the lake. Beyond that, it was pretty much snowbound. Didn't feel like plowing thru that much snow. And we talked to people who had post holed up to their waist. I'll wait till the trail is melted out before I go all the way. It starts out fairly steep, then it changes to a nice steady, easy pitch from there to the cut off. Nice views all along up and down.

We hiked this trail on June 6, 2017. It was quite beautiful with lots of scenic views and creeks. We had to get creative to cross the creek because it was deep and moving fast. We had to go upstream a bit to find a path across. It was doable but not super easy to do and stay dry. The last mile or so was very snowy but that was my favorite part of the hike - so beautiful! just make sure you have waterproof boots or shoes. The lake had a lot of snow on it and was a bit of a let-down but I hear it's quite beautiful in the summer.

Snow packed past the turn off to the lake, but we still went up, it's a good hike for early summer, warn and sunny.

Great, moderately strenuous hike, with amazing views. Still covered with snow above 11,000 feet, which made it a bit more work getting up inclines, but it's all worth it. Turn for the lake before the sign, as the trail can get a little tricky to find.

My husband and I snowshoes this trail in February. It was a beautiful hike and wish we should of made it all the way to the end but we were running out of daylight. We got the high point of the trail ~11,000 feet than turned around. The hike was very hard due to the steep incline but the views are worth every minute. We are going back to hike it when there is no snow.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

A friend and I started at the Denny Creek trail head and backpacked to Lake Kroenke over Brown's Pass. It was a hard hike, especially with us carrying multi-day packs, but had beautiful views. The Brown's Pass trail starts off with an incline and as other reviews say, is a hard uphill hike for the first 2 miles. The trail itself is pretty rocky, which caused some footing problems with heavy packs (mine was 55, his was 75 with lots of camera gear). Lake Harenstein is definitely doable as a day hike, and we saw lots of day hikers with dogs and minimal packs. There are some lovely little camping spots with fire rings and ample sources of water that make it a nice backpacking option for those looking to spend a bit more time out. Taking the trail past Lake Harenstein to Lake Kroenke was rough, especially a series of four switchbacks that had intense elevation climb. But the way out was a breeze. Hiking in to Lake Kroenke (about 7 miles) took us 6.5 hours in, out was 4.5 hours, including several breaks for snacks/water/lunch/pictures.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Friday, August 12, 2016

Great hike, maybe better day two then day one. Start right away uphill. Beautiful vistas

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Steep uphill at the beginning of the hike and for several intermittent portions. We started at 5pm in July and it was peaceful. No crowds, sounds of the streams/waterfall follow you as you hike. There are gorgeous vantage points near the end.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Really nice hike. Pretty steep uphill until 2 miles in. Crosses some streams.