Brown's Lake Trail is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Snow on parts of upper half of trail. Fortunately for us, someone who knew the trail had preceded us so it wasn’t hard to find the way. Sunny, windy and about 32 degrees at the lake. A beautiful day!

Such a beautiful hike. Did it as a day trip with a group of 13. The waterfall is absolutely beautiful. Was a great spot to sit and have a snack and rest a bit before continuing to the lake. The 3 miles from the falls to the lake was tough (decent incline and lots of rocks to maneuver over) but so worth the trip. Great place to have lunch before heading back down. I would go back to camp but I would probably drive in from the other side (I'm not in shape enough to pack in on that last 3 miles). So many photo opportunities along the way and you can hear the water flowing for much of the trail. I haven't hiked much this year (nothing beyond 5 miles) so this was a challenge for me but I made it. Bring hiking poles if you have them. We went on a Friday, started at 8:00am and were back to the trail head about 2:00pm. It wasn't busy going in but past a lot of back packers in the way out.

The lake is a perfect reward. The hike up is tough with a 40lbs back pack. Make sure to take your time, it’s a great trail for a day hike but the extra weight for backpacking makes the second half of the hike pretty intense because of the climb. Other wise I’d definitely do it again. I didn’t want to leave our campsite next to the lake. Caught 4 fish so make sure to bring fishing gear too!

two hikes in one! lovely waterfall as a half way point to a picture perfect mountain lake. we spent almost exactly 6hrs round trip including a pause away the waterfall, a few water stops, and break for lunch at the lake. the ascent was about 3.5 hrs, and the second half seemed steeper. lots of camp spots, but we were here for a day hike only, so we out and backed it, but would be a wonderful choice for a backpacking trip.

Great acclimation hike for Mt. Harvard and the other collegiate peaks. Trail is forested all the way to the falls and a bit more exposed up to the lake. Steepest sections are the very beginning and the first mile or so after the falls. Lots of horse poop. Plenty of parking spots at the trailhead even at 10 AM on a Sunday in August.

We enjoyed hiking this trail a lot. The falls and the lake are very pretty and the trail was not very crowded for a Sunday hike. It is not a difficult hike as the trail climbs moderately but it is quite long. So take a lot of water especially if you do not start early as a good portion of the trail is exposed to the sun. Some dead trees in the upper part of the trail, but the views of the valley and the surrounding summits are gorgeous. We got caught in a thunderstorm going down around the falls, but that is bc we started going down around 2pm..

This is one of my favorite hikes in Colorado so far. Absolutely beautiful lake at the top. Fun trail overall.

Beautiful lake. Lots of hikers but they were very considerate. Lots of big rocks and up hill a long way. Should have shoes or boots. Water and mud crossings. Not for beginners. Need a conditioned horse. Beautiful scenery.

My 2 sons and I just got back yesterday 6/16 from an overnight at the lake. We got a really late start but still made it to the lake before 6 pm. The 3 miles from the falls were really hard work with packs but well worth it. The area is absolutely beautiful and so serene. We picked a spot right by the water and thought we were completely alone until the next morning when we took a hike beyond the lake. The water was so clean it looked crystal clear even before being filtered. Breathtaking.

let's start off with.... I didn't die :)

this trail is not for the faint of heart. backpacked up with my 6yr old. started off late and only made 4 miles in first night which worked out great for second night as we were first to the lake to pick our spot. as others have mentioned, good spots up front, but if you want privacy you can walk an extra 5 minutes to the back. lake was windy but plenty of fish and relatively quite. there it's a 4x4 tail at the back side of the lake. think for next visit with rest of family we will drive up.

trail starts at with a good incline and ends with a good incline. pack light if your staying the night.

Beautiful backpacking trip!! We camped at the lake.. there are two spots right when you get to the lake, or if you want more privacy, walk past the lake there is a grassy meadow with great spots to camp right by the creek. Bring your fishing rod.. people were catching a lot of fish. There are also several camp spots after the waterfall and on the way to the lake, if you are tired and want to ditch your gear. It's not an easy hike all the way to the top with a full pack, but if you are in good shape you will be fine..you will be ready to get your pack off and lay in a hammock! There are lots of hikes you can do from the lake.. just follow the trail to the four-wheeling road. The views are incredible, and the hike in is so beautiful. We spent 1 night at the trailhead in the car (there are lots of car camping spots) and 2 nights up at the lake. Can't recommend it enough!

5/5/18. Some places near the top still had snow in the path but was completely able to finish in hiking shoes. The rock face to the south as you hike the valley is stunning and the spring runoff was flowing. The waterfall was barely off the path to the lake. The lake itself was beautiful and jumping in was very cold. Overall was a tough hike but well worth the time.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This is not an easy trail but it is absolutely beautiful! my husband and I hiked this and camped out at the lake with our dog. very steep in a lot of spots so with our gear on it was quite the workout. the way back is obviously all down hill. the hike to the falls is usually pretty busy, but once you turn off towards the lake it's pretty quiet.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

6-5-17. We started with only the intention of hiking to the Falls but decided to go on to the Lake. It was a beautiful day. Still some snow in spots. Kept long sleeves on the entire way up, even though we thought about ditching multiple times. It was cool sitting around the lake to grab a bite. Started at 8:15. Glad we did. I don't think anyone behind us made it to the summit due to threat of storms. It was a Monday so not crowded at all. The wind really came up on our way down and there were dark clouds overhead but we only got a few sprinkles.

Saturday, September 16, 2017