Browns Creek Waterfall Trail

Browns Creek Waterfall Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A pleasant hike to a beautiful waterfall This is a very fun hike to a spectacular waterfall. The hike has plenty of variety that will keep your interest including meadows, pine, and aspen forest. You will be treated to many views of Mt Antero, and even get to test your balance by crossing Browns Creek via small log bridges. The usage of the trail is moderate. You should expect to see 5-10 people on your hike. The trail gains approximately 850 ft in elevation, most of which is in the first 1.5 miles. Parts of the trail are sandy or have lose rock, so be prepared to get dusty, and you will likely waste some energy on the soft ground. Perfect choice for a short, moderate day hike. First half is where the elevation is mostly gained, and then the path nearly flattens out until the final water crossing just before the falls. All along the path, the trail has great signage, but be on the lookout for the very small sign directing hikers up to the falls. Restrictions: No camping allowed at trailhead Pets must be leashed No motorized vehicles Fire restrictions are very common in this area For up-to-date information please contact the Salida Ranger District (719-553-1404)

1 minute ago

Beautiful hike, the waterfall is worth it! We enjoyed it so much we continued hiking the additional 3 miles to Brown’s Lake!

The trail is great. Did it with my wife and two kids who are 9 and 6. They loved the trail also and really loved the falls at the end. We also took the dogs 12 and 3.

Vacationing from Kansas City, MO. Loved this trail!

Sorry Folks...despite all the other reviews...this trail is not Moderate...it should be rated as difficult and hard! Very rough terrain...lots of boulders and rocks to maneuver going up!! You are continuing looking down to make sure you don't trip and or go over the cliff rather than taking in the view! Once you do reach the waterfall more terrain...yes the fall is pretty but not worth it in my book...I've hiked many trails in Colorado but this should be deemed for the most experienced hikers! On the way down is just as treacherous as the way up!

Great hike! Steep start then levels out. Great falls!

We hiked this with our kids and small dog. The waterfall was gorgeous! We loved hitting the creek in a couple of areas on the way. The views are great. We hiked in and out within 4 hours. Bring plenty of water as it gets a bit hot in some spots.

Hiked this over the weekend with kids aged 8/9/10 and they all loved the waterfall. I love the varying terrain of this hike and the nice climb to start. The drive to the trailhead is easy and the views from the trail are phenomenal.

great moderate-easy hike. recommend it. Only made it tl the falls and it's amazing.

Great trail! Very well marked and we'll maintained. Easy out and back to the water fall, which was incredible! Loved how it was partially covered, then bits if exposure here and there. Nice variety.

Incredibly beautiful waterfall. Easy trail 3 miles out with a few marked T-intersections (pay attention at the intersections or use your GPS). Our dog loved the creek crossings. A few people on Friday afternoon.

What a wonderful hike! As many have mentioned, you will have plenty of company on this hike. I now know why it is so popular, because it is wonderful! All the scenery changes, not to mention the waterfall, made this hike very enjoyable, I love a good goal at the end of a hike! As others have mentioned, most significant grade is at the beginning. Once you enter the forest, it is what my wife would call a nature walk, not tough at all. Will certainly return...with friends!

Love this hike

Great hike! First mile is pretty sandy, rocky, and steep, but the rest of the hike goes through beautiful groves of aspen. The waterfall was amazing.

The waterfall at the end was beautiful! first half of the hike was very rocky and sandy but it was worth it.

Beautiful waterfall! Trail is sandy and rocky and steep in parts. I arrived at the trailhead at 8:30 and I’m glad that I did because it got crowded as I was heading back to the trailhead. Lots of dogs, bikes, horses and two llamas also.

Nice trail, well maintained. Good for older kids, although I saw plenty of young ones too. A bit crowded today, but the weather was gorgeous and it’s Memorial Day weekend, so who doesn’t want to be out on the trails?

Great day hike. Most elevation gain in the first 1.5 miles. Great views of the valley on the assent opening up to meadows. Lots of water at the falls. Trail is well maintained. At mile 3 look for the ground level sign pointing you left to the falls.

I really enjoyed this hike. The trail was well maintained and easy to follow. My favorite view was when we came out of the trees and into a meadow area. Beautiful!

Great trail, beautiful scenery. Friendly people. You can primitive camp near the trailhead in BLM land for free!!!

what a lovely hike! hidden flowers along the way, hummingbirds, a creek, and the falls were amazing!

The falls were beautiful this time of year. First mile is a little tough but the second half is worth the climb!

Done in May with no snow. Great moderate trail with lots of tree coverage so you're not in the sun for most of it. The start is the toughest part because of the initial incline and lack of shade but after 15-20 minutes it's very easy and doable. Great spots to picnic by the falls.

Beautiful trail with amazing views!! When I went in mid May there was very little traffic. The trail was very well maintained and the people on the trail were very respectful of nature (we didn’t see any dog poo or trash which is rare for a nice trail in CO). It starts out with a decent incline then after about a mile (if even) it flattens out. I would highly recommend!

If you hate nature, beautiful views, well maintained trails, a bit of a challenge, and friendly people along the way - and would rather post hole all day, soaking the insides of those new boots, this trail won’t be for you.

If however you enjoy all these things, less the snow to the knees, this is a perfect spring hike, enjoy!

Was an amazing time. Amazing hiking with some amazing scenery.

We walked this on an afternoon in mid April just as the snow melt was accelerating. This is one of our favourite hikes we've done in a long time; the views throughout the trail are incredible, and the variation in plants and wildlife is amazing.

I'd call this a low-moderate trail. Yes, there is a steep and strenuous climb at the start, but it is not technical and has no scary drops. Beyond that it's just a beautiful walk in the woods that gets easier - and better - as it goes on. Even with endless bird watching and a 40 minute stop at the end, it took us under 4 hours total, so I'd encourage people who are fighting fit to look into the lake route (double this one) and make a full day of it. We were sad we couldn't go further.

Saw a Hairy Woodpecker, plenty of lovely little Mountain Chickadees, some Townsend Solitaires, the lovely Dark Eyed Junco and some very cute little critters running about the wood piles!

The waterfall is incredible - well worth getting to.

The trail was beautiful, it was challenging, but not overly difficult. Unfortunately, I think we went a little too early in the season. About 2miles in, it just got so muddy. We decided to turn back & try again in a few months.

Very easy path to follow. Hardly any snow until just the end of the trail getting to the falls— spiked aren’t necessary but were helpful on the way down. Used the “getting there” feature from this app and it was totally wrong. Found directions to the trailhead from a dif site. Gorgeous views of the surrounding ranges and great workout! Glad we found this gem.

Hiked in the middle of winter on a nice sunny day. Views followed by aspen groves and a few creek crossings made for a scenic hike with lots of packed snow closer to the falls. My 5 and 11 year enjoyed the hike but think about taking lunch or food in general if you have kids. It took my 5 year old about 4.5 hours.