Browns Creek and Little Browns Creek Trail

Browns Creek and Little Browns Creek Trail is a 15.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Buena Vista: Drive south 10 miles to County Road 270; and then travel west on County Road 270 for 2.5 miles. This road turns sharply north. Continue straight at this T and follow County Road 272 4 miles to the trailhead.

Challenging and breathtaking. One of the most beautiful trails I’ve ever hiked. HIGHLY recommend

Some good camp spots. Not the best lake, not a lot of waterfront so it does get crowded quick. Definitely challenging. Found a neat spot off of the Wagon loop that had a teepee for the night. Waterfall was great! It gets the most foot traffic, you'll run into a lot of people that are just doing that hike. Probably won't do it again, but well worth it to do it once!

Amazing views lots of water some challenging steeps lots of awesome camping spots.

This is one of the best (if not the best) collection of trails in Colorado. From one trailhead you can get SERIOUSLY EVERYTHING. There's a 6 mile round trip hike to a perfect waterfall, there's a 16 mile chill loop to the lake, there's a 16 mile round trip 14er climb to Mt Antero. All of which have numerous perfect camping sites. Don't tell anyone how awesome this trail is, don't want it to get too crowded :)

hard is the correct definition. 50 year old, overweight, smoker.. Llamas didn't break a sweat, I on the other hand could have used a third lung... but, well worth the effort...

Sunday, May 21, 2017

OMG is all I can say! What a stunningly beautiful trail all the way up and back. Although this year's May is still early in the season, we did not fight the post holing like on many of the other trails. Snow covered the trail entirely only for the last 30 min. before the lakes. We hiked to the falls and to the lakes out and back. On the way in we stopped and took pictures endlessly to capture the ever changing scenery, the frozen branches in the creek, and the stunning mountain views. This made it into a LONG day, but well worth the extra time! Especially seeing the towering Mt. Tabeguache while we had our snacks by the lake. Love, love, love this trail. This is a repeat and keeper!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Hike was fairly difficult, especially through the thick snow but totally worth it the scenery was pretty spectacular.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Steep uphill at the beginning of the hike, probably for half a mile. People take horses on this trail and we had to constantly watch where we stepped to avoid the horse poop. The waterfall was a nice end point, there's some sitting space to take a break and eat snacks before hiking back.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

First part is pretty steep but gets easier. Worth the effort for the views.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Spectacular views along the ridge line portion of the trail . Steep in areas with rocks and soft ground to negotiate. Awesome hike and the waterfall was amazing. A challenging but rewarding hike for a flatlander who has 3 hikes under his belt. More difficult than Mayflower Gulch and Bakers Tank.

Monday, June 20, 2016

let me start by saying the views are stunning. I am a little shocked that this hike is rated as easy. I did the entire 16.2 mile loop this weekend and I am an avid hiker and in very good shape..it was a saaallloooggg to the top. Not what I would rate as an easy hike. The hike down into Browns lake was not easy as well. The 4wd roads are in horrible shape and are a joint pounder. decent sized rocks on the trail for a few miles. If you do this loop, bring your trekking poles as this will help take some of the pressure of the joints. would I recommend this hike..eh?? maybe. It was pretty but I have done prettier hikes that weren't such a joint pounder.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We came for a visit, from Texas. Loved the 6 mile round trip hike to the falls. Take plenty of water if hiking in the summer. Wife said it was moderate and not easy.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

A group of us took on this stunning hike this past weekend, completing the entire loop. We hiked from the trailhead on Little Brown's Creek trail to the North side of Mount White and around to Brown's Lake on the South side . We encountered lots of snow above 10,000' making it difficult to follow the trail and stay on course. However the views were well worth the extra time and travel. We camped at Brown's Lake and were just awestruck by the views. The second day was a gentle decline down Brown's Creek trail back to the trailhead. Can't recommend this hike enough....although I would wait a couple of weeks for some snow melt.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Stunning!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Beautiful hike! We just went to the falls and back, took us about 3.5 hours with frequent breaks to admire the views and to let our lab swim in the streams. Great views of the nearby mountains.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Great trail...beautiful...good view...waterfall lovely. Only hiked to waterfall and back but was a good hike...about 2.5 hrs.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Beautiful view and awesome peaceful camping!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Backpacked the trail from July 11-14, 2015 with 4 others. Good trail that has about a 2000' elevation change going up. Mostly gradual elevation gains with spots of ridgelines to overcome with last gain being the most challenging. Hike is about 6 miles one way to get to Browns Lake at 11,500'. Fishing was successful, but fish are small (5" - 12"). Established firepits in camping area right after the trail on south end of the lake. north end of lake has camping spots also that are accessible via 4x4 trail. Expect visitors and hikers throughout the day, but we only had about 7 hiking parties over 4 days. Great views and hike. Would recommend to a friend. I am a beginner backpacker and I would recommend, but took us about 5.5 hours to complete one way. Have fun!!

Sunday, July 05, 2015

I did this as a trail run - views are great. I got to the second stream crossing and saw a large black animal rustling around in the bushes... turned out to be a cow, but was still alarming. There were too many cows in the trail (who weren't particularly happy to be disrupted) for me to keep going alone - probably would have been fine with a group or a dog. Also, there were a lot of cow and horse droppings on the trail to avoid.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Best trail I've been on since living in Colorado! The water fall is awesome. We kept hiking to see the lake and got caught in a storm. We were so close but turned back because of the storm. I wouldn't consider this an easy hike if your not a regular hiker. The difference in the terrain keeps you motivated to keep going. LOVE THIS HIKE

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Bit of a climb in the beginning then levels out. Very nice hike crowded on the 4th of July. Horse back group made coming down difficult but got around. Nice advanced beginner hike

Thursday, July 02, 2015

This was an awesome trail! From the parking lot you switchback up to a ridge to meet up with the colorado trail. Theres camping and water access for the most part of this trail. Shortly after the colorado trail theres a nice wide section of trail that opens into a meadow. There were a few wildflowers but nothing amazing. I think we were a little late for the big bloom. The big waterfall is pretty cool. The viewing area has nice sized boulders for sitting and eating a quick lunch before you make the push to the lake. I highly recommend eating a good lunch here if you're pushing for the lake. Theres a couple really nice creek crossings again after the waterfall. A new pine bridge with a guardrail on one side has been put up. The next used to be just a skinny pine tree is now a halved tree that leaves enough room for you and your dog to cross. The hike seriously intensifies after these crossings. It almost feels as if you are just clawing your way up the valley. The trail is full of rocky sandy dirt and not exactly the most maintained trail and its FUN!! Bring your trekking poles because theres a few spots that are a little sketchy. Once you make it through the tough parts it opens to another meadow with a little more gentle waterfall. Thats the final leg of the trail up to the lake. The lake is really pretty and very full right now. Fishing is also great up there. If you like wild cutthroat trout this is the place.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Great hike and easy access. There is also decent fishing in the waterfall basin.

Friday, August 08, 2014

Trail up to Browns Creek Falls wonderful! Decent elevation gain in the beginning, but then mellows. Experience varying ecosystems, aspen forests, meadows, creeks. Be prepared for a downed bridge at the second creek passing. Can cross by foot, as it wax about knee deep in June. Highly recommend!

Monday, August 12, 2013

Great Trail perfect for backpacking, few people and crystal clear water.