Browns Creek and Little Browns Creek Trail

Browns Creek and Little Browns Creek Trail is a 16.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Directions from Buena Vista: Drive south 10 miles to County Road 270; and then travel west on County Road 270 for 2.5 miles. This road turns sharply north. Continue straight at this T and follow County Road 272 4 miles to the trailhead.

This is one of the best (if not the best) collection of trails in Colorado. From one trailhead you can get SERIOUSLY EVERYTHING. There's a 6 mile round trip hike to a perfect waterfall, there's a 16 mile chill loop to the lake, there's a 16 mile round trip 14er climb to Mt Antero. All of which have numerous perfect camping sites. Don't tell anyone how awesome this trail is, don't want it to get too crowded :)

hard is the correct definition. 50 year old, overweight, smoker.. Llamas didn't break a sweat, I on the other hand could have used a third lung... but, well worth the effort...

OMG is all I can say! What a stunningly beautiful trail all the way up and back. Although this year's May is still early in the season, we did not fight the post holing like on many of the other trails. Snow covered the trail entirely only for the last 30 min. before the lakes. We hiked to the falls and to the lakes out and back. On the way in we stopped and took pictures endlessly to capture the ever changing scenery, the frozen branches in the creek, and the stunning mountain views. This made it into a LONG day, but well worth the extra time! Especially seeing the towering Mt. Tabeguache while we had our snacks by the lake. Love, love, love this trail. This is a repeat and keeper!

Hike was fairly difficult, especially through the thick snow but totally worth it the scenery was pretty spectacular.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Steep uphill at the beginning of the hike, probably for half a mile. People take horses on this trail and we had to constantly watch where we stepped to avoid the horse poop. The waterfall was a nice end point, there's some sitting space to take a break and eat snacks before hiking back.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

First part is pretty steep but gets easier. Worth the effort for the views.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Spectacular views along the ridge line portion of the trail . Steep in areas with rocks and soft ground to negotiate. Awesome hike and the waterfall was amazing. A challenging but rewarding hike for a flatlander who has 3 hikes under his belt. More difficult than Mayflower Gulch and Bakers Tank.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Monday, June 20, 2016

let me start by saying the views are stunning. I am a little shocked that this hike is rated as easy. I did the entire 16.2 mile loop this weekend and I am an avid hiker and in very good shape..it was a saaallloooggg to the top. Not what I would rate as an easy hike. The hike down into Browns lake was not easy as well. The 4wd roads are in horrible shape and are a joint pounder. decent sized rocks on the trail for a few miles. If you do this loop, bring your trekking poles as this will help take some of the pressure of the joints. would I recommend this hike..eh?? maybe. It was pretty but I have done prettier hikes that weren't such a joint pounder.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We came for a visit, from Texas. Loved the 6 mile round trip hike to the falls. Take plenty of water if hiking in the summer. Wife said it was moderate and not easy.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

A group of us took on this stunning hike this past weekend, completing the entire loop. We hiked from the trailhead on Little Brown's Creek trail to the North side of Mount White and around to Brown's Lake on the South side . We encountered lots of snow above 10,000' making it difficult to follow the trail and stay on course. However the views were well worth the extra time and travel. We camped at Brown's Lake and were just awestruck by the views. The second day was a gentle decline down Brown's Creek trail back to the trailhead. Can't recommend this hike enough....although I would wait a couple of weeks for some snow melt.