Browns Cabin Trail

moderate 15 reviews

Browns Cabin Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,457 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The road to the trailhead closes every winter.

Rather than going over the pass to the cabin, we walked a bit on the trail that goes to the right towards Kroenke Lake to get some better views down into the valley. Absolutely beautiful hike, trail condition improves greatly once past the Hartenstein Lake junction.

this was a beautiful trail. Not very heavily trafficked. Parts of the trail still had snow and some fallen trees. There were patches of mud and little rivers. plenty of spots to get water. right after the cabin the trail was starting to become really steep. it was all worth it.

According to my mom the genealogist I am at least somehow related to Mr. Brown. He lived in Buena Vista and sold shares for his mining operation. He successfully found gold but not in the amounts needed to make more than a basic wage. The two story cabin was still intact in 1998 but has since fallen down. One mine shaft is obvious above the cabin near the pass and another is below and west of the cabin. The lower shaft is clearly marked on the topo map with a faint trail. There is also a rock crushing machine at the lower mine that is fascinating. The rock crusher and other equipment was hauled up on sleds using donkeys in late spring when snow was still on the ground. My grandmother went to the cabin on her honeymoon, They drove from Kansas to Buena Vista and they rode a donkey up the pass to stay in the cabin. There was another cabin near Kroenke lake that was used as another outpost for the mining operation.

Still a good amount of snow here but passable for about 2 miles. We had trekking poles and waterproof boots. We spent some time about 2 miles up to eat lunch and when we came down, one of the creek crossings had risen enough we had to be creative crossing back. We went later in the day though so it would make sense. A real work out but doable.

Sun May 27 2018

Beautiful trail. Still snow packed a bit past the fork to Browns Cabin Pass. Had to turn back and head to the lake. Well worth it! Beautiful aspens first mile in too. Noticed a lot of dog poo along the trail. Don't get why people don't pick that up. Also supposed to have dogs on leashes and we never seen one dog on leash. We decided to take ours off after about the 20th dog. Typical for these types of hikes I guess. Overall amazing day on the mountain!

Wed May 16 2018

Still a lot of snow as of 5/14 right after the turn for the pass. Post holed for over a mile before turning back. First part of the trail has no snow. Still offered some amazing views!

Thu Aug 31 2017

This trail has a little for everyone...great pass views, gradual but steady incline, only a few switchbacks, log water crossings, rocky and gravel areas, and forest floor. It had too many rocky gravel areas for my preference, so probably wont do again unless going with others.... pretty views though!! Cabin is about 1/2 mile over top of pass.

Tue May 09 2017

this trail is a little ways out of town and there wasn't much traffic. there was snow on the ground still! But it was fairly warm out. there's a lot of vertical, so be prepared for all that uphill! we never made it to the cabin, ran out of time, but I would definitely come back, the views of the mountains and the nearby river were so pretty.

Fri Jul 15 2016

***I fixed the track a while ago and put my recording here, it was updated a day ago and the RED TRACK IS CORRECT NOW. Regardless, if you would take the time to read the map at the TH ^^Ryan^^, you would've realized the old track was wrong and found the correct trail like I did*** Amazing trail up to Browns pass, than about another 1/4 mile down to the dilapidated cabin. Creek, forest, and old mining remnants with not much traffic. Great trail to get the family on! Don't turn off the main trail if you want to reach the cabin, always continue straight and don't hang right to go up towards Mt. Yale or left to a lake.

Thu Jun 23 2016

Despite the mileage and route being WRONG... it was a good hike and I'll do it again. The route starts correctly on Denney Creek trail. There's a fork at the 1.2m mark. AllTrails takes the Yale Peak fork, and I don't know if there's some other cabin up there but passing hikers were telling me that Browns cabin is on the Browns Pass fork and round trip from Denney Creek trailhead is 8.8, not 4.7. Thunderstorms turned me back from the pass, but I'll be back to explore both forks.

recorded Browns Cabin Trail