Browns Cabin Trail [CLOSED]

Browns Cabin Trail [CLOSED] is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Beautiful trail. Still snow packed a bit past the fork to Browns Cabin Pass. Had to turn back and head to the lake. Well worth it! Beautiful aspens first mile in too. Noticed a lot of dog poo along the trail. Don't get why people don't pick that up. Also supposed to have dogs on leashes and we never seen one dog on leash. We decided to take ours off after about the 20th dog. Typical for these types of hikes I guess. Overall amazing day on the mountain!

Still a lot of snow as of 5/14 right after the turn for the pass. Post holed for over a mile before turning back. First part of the trail has no snow. Still offered some amazing views!

This trail has a little for everyone...great pass views, gradual but steady incline, only a few switchbacks, log water crossings, rocky and gravel areas, and forest floor. It had too many rocky gravel areas for my preference, so probably wont do again unless going with others.... pretty views though!! Cabin is about 1/2 mile over top of pass.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

this trail is a little ways out of town and there wasn't much traffic. there was snow on the ground still! But it was fairly warm out. there's a lot of vertical, so be prepared for all that uphill! we never made it to the cabin, ran out of time, but I would definitely come back, the views of the mountains and the nearby river were so pretty.

Friday, July 15, 2016

***I fixed the track a while ago and put my recording here, it was updated a day ago and the RED TRACK IS CORRECT NOW. Regardless, if you would take the time to read the map at the TH ^^Ryan^^, you would've realized the old track was wrong and found the correct trail like I did***

Amazing trail up to Browns pass, than about another 1/4 mile down to the dilapidated cabin. Creek, forest, and old mining remnants with not much traffic. Great trail to get the family on! Don't turn off the main trail if you want to reach the cabin, always continue straight and don't hang right to go up towards Mt. Yale or left to a lake.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Despite the mileage and route being WRONG... it was a good hike and I'll do it again. The route starts correctly on Denney Creek trail. There's a fork at the 1.2m mark. AllTrails takes the Yale Peak fork, and I don't know if there's some other cabin up there but passing hikers were telling me that Browns cabin is on the Browns Pass fork and round trip from Denney Creek trailhead is 8.8, not 4.7. Thunderstorms turned me back from the pass, but I'll be back to explore both forks.

Sunday, September 04, 2016