Breckenridge Peak 8 Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length7.0 miElevation gain2,933 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingMountain bikingNature tripsSnowshoeingRunningViewswild-flowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (1)

Take this challenging route or take the Super Chair lift from this location and begin at the waypoint for an easier day hike.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (115)
Photos (164)
Recordings (110)
Completed (238)
Jon Waterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 11, 2021
HikingGreat!Rocky

An incredible hike, but especially for those who love skiing Breckenridge. The hike isn't at all in the wilderness, it's all on developed ski resort land, but as avid skiers in Breckenridge that made the trail even cooler. It was amazing to see the resort in the middle of summer and see what's usually hidden below all the snow. I can't emphasize enough how exhausting this trail was, even for someone like myself in fairly good shape. I hiked Quandary peak a few days earlier, and I thought this trail was much more exhausting due to my lack of planning – I was short on time so decided to hike straight up some of the ski runs instead of following the trails, and I wouldn't recommend that at all. I was so exhausted that once I reached the top of the T-bar lift I dropped my backpack and just carried water to the summit. As tiring as the hike was, it was so worth it. The peak gives you an incredible view looking down the ridge of Peaks 7 and 6, the lake at the bottom of the Lake Chutes ski runs, and copper mountain on the other side. We had the peak to ourself once we summitted and didn't see many others on the trail. I loved this hike, but if you're short on time and willing to spend some money, maybe take the chair lift up to knock out the less spectacular views and save yourself for the very steep hike up to the summit.

Irene Limb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 31, 2020
HikingSnow

Went 10/31. The first half is trudging up through deepish snow. I’d wait till ski season is over to hike this trail.

Tom Kocis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2020
Hiking

Tough hike because it got steep at the top, no switchbacks, and loose gravel / rocks.

View Tom's Recording
George Lourigan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2020
Hiking

Nice short warmup for our 14er tomorrow. Great views of Breckenridge. Saw deer & moose tracks.

View George 's Recording
John E Rudolph III
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
Hiking

Amazing hike. A little confusing on where the trail starts but you just start walking. Views were breath taking.

View John E's Recording
Wade Bontempo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
Hiking

After peak 8 I took a trail along the ridge to peak 7. Did not find a trail down peak 7 so I followed the ski terrain.

View Wade's Recording
Bernie J.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeScramble

Beautiful views in all directions! Hard for a flat lander, but worth it! Started at base near resorts and hiked up switchbacks before hitting the ‘strait up’ part of the trail. Be ready for loose rock the last .5 of the hike. Not an issue with good traction. 2.5 hours up; 1 hour down. Enjoy the hike!

Laura Podewils
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Steady incline - switchbacks for days. Views are worth it!

View Laura's Recording
Robert Ragusin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Yes the trail is tough. especially near the top. Yes it is hard to stay on the trail. But forget that. Getting to the top was worth it. The 360 views were incredible. I have been to quandry peak. these views are better. As you are getting to the top, although your body is saying stop, don't. One of the best hikes here.

Robert Ragusin
View Robert's Recording
Judith Ackerman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great climbing and spectacular views. Started at the Superchair lift at Peak 8 and climbed/hiked the Swinger trail to the top of the lift and then ran down for a total of 8 miles. Cooler overnight temps made it bearable to be out there in the morning before the heat set in. We only saw 2 bikers and no other hikers/runners - we started at 8am.

Jennifer Kiley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020
HikingRocky

Tough trail. We took the super chair up and started from there. Lots of loose gravel on the dirt road trail, making it treacherous. There was a small footpath next to the dirt road previous hikers made. I suggest using it instead of the road, much better footing. I made it to 12,500 ft. My son made it to the top at almost 13k. Beautiful wildflowers and amazing views. Fun day with my son (18yr old athlete whom was extremely patient with his slow mom). Tough incline, but a great hike nonetheless.

Stefanie Groß
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRockyScrambleSnow

This was a very hard trail. Incredibly steep in some places. Going up was fine and tough, but going down was a nightmare. Luckily I’m good with my foot placement, but my pal fell about 20 times. The rocks slip out beneath you, and the ground is slick even in the best parts if you’re not careful. Would recommend going with a friend. Beautiful view. Worth it.

Brendan Ash
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 13, 2020

Hard

View Brendan's Recording
Chris Danielson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

Trail super easy to follow going up to super chair lift. Follow the road to the left of the lift that goes straight up to reach the two houses

Jay Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Ok... you experienced hikers will make fun of me... but... This was the hardest hike I have ever done. And I am a beginner. And 59 years old. But I read where somebody said this was well marked... and It was not (I started at the bottom and didn’t take Super Chairlift). At the very beginning, I would see people walking around with their phones like the 3 Stooges because so many different trails crossed that you couldn’t really tell where you were going. It was also fairly treacherous when you got close to the top. But even more treacherous going down. But again, I’m 59 years old. That being said, it was an awesome achievement for me and I really enjoyed it.

Catherina Lizcano
HikingRocky

I think the only way this trail would be 7 miles is if you took the driving road that’s basically directly under the super chair lift. And that would be HARD. I took all of the switchbacks in the first few miles and my hike ended up being 10.5. But the miles up to the peak are a real doozy. And shouldn’t be done when there is any weather coming in because it is above the tree line and you’re basically a lightning rod up there. The trail is not well marked, but follow any signs that you see for the “swinger“ path. Then once you get up to the top of the super chairlift, you veer left and up. If you’re prepared, this is a fantastic hike offering vistas and physical challenge.

Jamie W Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020

it was cool

View Jamie W's Recording
Jay Baker
HikingOff trailRockyScramble
View Jay's Recording
Carmen Millet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Great!

Absolutely fantastic!! The views are simply stunning. We took the chairlift up and started at the essay point at the top of the lift. The trail is moderate and was tough just because of the elevation (we topped out at 11,500 and did not go all the way to the peak). The wildflowers were beautiful. The wind was strong so be prepared for that. The info markers about the wildlife are fun. Vista Haus was open for restrooms and water but nothing else, but it’s a nice spot for a picnic. Can’t say enough about the epic hike!

Race H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

Loved the hike. Awesome views from the peak. For anyone wanting tackle this trail be prepared for a steep ascent from the top of the Superchair to the peak. We hiked from base camp and it was about 2.6 easy miles to Vista Haus. Once you get to Vista Haus the real work begins. It’s just barely over a mile of hiking to the peak but it is steep and filled with loose rock. It’s not overly difficult but there is a reason this trail is rated as hard. We got from base camp to the peak in 2 hrs and descended in about 1.5 hrs and loved every minute of it.