Brainard Lake Loop Trail

Brainard Lake Loop Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Long but pretty. Excellent views, nice and peaceful. Took just under 4 hours to do the trail and get back to the car. Pack snacks and lots of water, although there is potable water at the summit (free)

I loved this trail! It was perfect for my dog and I, especially to get out of the heat in Denver! We went at 8am and it was only about 65 degrees at the lake, which was amazing. I parked my car near Brainard lake and then walked the loop around long lake instead. The long lake trail was well groomed and marked! In total, we walked about 4.5 miles.

9 year-old and 3 year-old border collies loved this place. Scenery was beautiful. Busy parking lot, but everyone was pretty spread out after that. Nice people though that say hello in passing.

In the photos I added the SUMMER trail map. Honestly, not a good map. Not fantastic trails around Brainard. BUT there is a FABULOUS LOOP called Jean Lunning Trail (even though it's a loop) and loops around Long Lake. You can extend that hike and go to Lake Isabelle if you are so athletically inclined. The Jean Lunning trail is easy but has some incline, good for beginners but take your time and enjoy the scenery!

The trail map provided on this site uses winter only trails. When we got there (summer) we were disappointed to find out that the map here doesn't show the trails we can use in the summer. Because of this, we didn't get to the lake. We took the trail above Waldrop Trail (South St Vran). The hike was still pretty but not what I was looking forward to. If you're going to do the trail I highly suggest finding map that shows what time of year each trail is usable.

The lake is incredible. We took the Waldrop trail out to the lake which was a nice easy, well-marked trail. We decided to return via the Snowshoe Trail which is the trail many other users have recorded on this app. Snowshoe trail starts out nice but quickly turns into a swampy trek through dense woods with areas not clearly marked. Still a beautiful trail, but your feet will be soaked. Note: this was 4th of July, 2017.

Absolutely beautiful! Saw a group of 8 moose. First time I've seen moose on a hike before. Loved it and will definitely be back

Beautiful! Make sure you wear water proof shoes as there are many areas, starting about half way to the lake, where there is all mud and about an inch of water you have to get through. Once you get to the lake, it is EXTREMELY windy and a bit chilly. ..so definitely jacket worthy. I took my dog and we had the best time!