Boulder Skyline Traverse is a 29.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length29.9 miElevation gain10,380 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashBackpackingHikingNature tripsViewsWildflowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (0)

The 5 major peaks that you will summit and their elevation are as follows: Bear Peak-8,456ft South Boulder Peak-8,543ft Green Mountain-8,149ft Flagstaff Mountain-7,030ft Mt. Sanitas-6,835ft

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (130)
Photos (4,775)
Activities (121)
Completed (329)
Harrison Palmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 10, 2021
Backpacking

Beautiful hike, but a brutal start and finish. Began the day at the table mesa side, and ended with a brutal mt salitas finish. Wiped by the end. For current conditions absolutely bring microspikes and hopefully trekking piles too.

View Harrison's activity
Ian Palmer
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful trail. Microspikes recommended in the winter. Convenient trailhead.

View Ian's activity
Brandon Brouillette
Hiking

Fresh snow when we hit the trail this morning but after droves of people up and down the trail, by the time we came back it was all stamped down. Def recommend spikes if you have them. Trail has some steep elevation and slick areas. Brutal incline right off the bat but the views from Boulder and Bear made it worth the effort.

View Brandon's activity
Lila Sharfi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 7, 2021
Hiking

Yes Beautiful day! Started at Eldorado. Sanitas was so hard at the end, but we did it! Never been more exhausted ‘ Finished in the dark! Loved it I’m beat! Small trail maintenance near red rocks trail at Eben G Fine park...

View Lila's activity
Nicholas Rotello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 3, 2021
HikingGreat!Snow

Epic. Totally worth a solid 9.5 hours. We enjoyed every peak. Had great weather and would recommend this for anyone up for the challenge of 18 miles. Bring spikes. We did not use them today, but we could have. South Boulder Peak summit, and heading down Green Mountain are both places where spikes might be good. South Boulder Peak and Bear Peak are the highlights. If you want to skip the 18 miles of epic adventure... do those two, maybe Green Mountain as well. But for us, the joy of doing it all was worth it. Sanitas is normally one of my favorites, but at the end of this trek, Sanitas is a slow grind. Be ready for it psychologically. It’s still beautiful... just a bit painful too! For us... and hopefully for you... we did this to complete an amazing adventure. Fun. Beauty. Achievement. Do this for that. Trust me. Totally worth it. We parked in El Dorado Canyon at the South Mesa Trail Head and took a Lyft back after Sanitas... Lyfts can take a while to get so be prepared to wait when your done. Happy New Year. Enjoy.

Miranda Elder
View Miranda's activity
Megan Flanagan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 1, 2021
HikingGreat!IcySnow

One incredible day, long but wonderful. Willing chose to add some extra miles so I could park in a more central location since I was doing this alone. Parked at Chautauqua and took Mesa trail all the way to Shadow canyon north then followed that all the way up to the ridge between SoBo Peak and Bear. I took the left and went to South Boulder peak first. Then back down and across to Bear. From there I looped back around Bear and down to the Bear Green trail. The pass from Bear to Green is my favorite section. It’s such a beautiful trail and today it was snow covered and perfect. Flagstaff was next! It was the least exciting of them all, summit wise, but if you follow the trail up to the top, there is a gorgeous view on a good day. Then came the longest trek. From flagstaff mountain, I followed flagstaff trail all the way down to panorama point trail and down. Panorama point was busy today but it was the first day of the year! Sanita’s was a tough push as the end of a long day but it was worth it. A little busy there this afternoon. It was the only peak I didn’t need my spikes for. Otherwise I did use my micro spikes for the first 4, and my poles came in handy.

View Megan's activity
Kevin Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 17, 2020

Oh All Trails..bless your heart. This hike is NOT 29.9 miles. More like 16.5-18 (depending where you start) and it's around 6300 feet of elevation gain. Stay safe everyone.

Kristina Gould
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 16, 2020
HikingIcy

A good hike when you’re in the mood to be extreme.

Na Te
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 8, 2020
Running
View Na's activity
Erik Hunter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 16, 2020
View Erik's activity
Zeina Oweis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
View Zeina's activity
Dante Thornton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 7, 2020
View Dante's activity
Kate King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Excellent hike! I hiked this trail on Monday, 9/14. I started at 6:30, it was great to get Shadow Canyon out of the way first thing. Strava clocked me at 4.4 miles when I reached the top of South Boulder, then it’s a quick 15-20 minutes over to Bear after that. The Green Bear portion of the hike was my favorite by far, and I reached Green Mountain at about 9.5. After descending on Ranger Trail, and reaching the first Flagstaff Road crossing, I took Rangeview Trail instead of Ute, because I prefer the western views, and they did not disappoint. Maybe I missed it, but Flagstaff doesn’t really have a peak like the others, so I just found the highest accessible point and called it good (a detour up to Artist Point perhaps?). The stretch between the “summit” and down to the next trailhead where you hit Sanitas was probably the longest part of the hike for me. You cross Flagstaff Road over and over again, so there’s a lot of car noise, and not much to look at. Once I got to Eben Fine, I just cruised through (there were still a lot of people even on a weekday) to Settlers Park. Following the Red Rocks trail per AllTrails was a little confusing, just make sure you stay close to it because the other trail in the area is closed! The rock formations were pretty cool! I reached the Centennial Trailhead around lunchtime, so it was nice to take a break to eat and refill my water (I brought a cooler with ice water and left it in my car, and I was so thankful). The bathrooms at the trailhead were open, but bring your own hand sanitizer. After a break, it was up Sanitas - I went up and came down Mt. Sanitas trail, but there were people who left the summit at the same time I did and come down Sanitas Valley in the same amount of time, which might have been easier on my knees! My final stats on Strava were 18.5 miles, 6,018 elevation gain, and it took me just under 8 hours to complete! Very fun, and worth the trip. Bring snacks, water, and a victory beer - cheers!

Danielle Latimore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

Hiked on Sunday 9/13. Started at 5:30am, finished at 2:30pm. Tracked this hike on Strava as well as AllTrails and Strava had us with an extra mile completed by the end clocking 18.7mi total! The descend from Sanitas isn’t included in the AllTrails app mileage either, so it’s definitely farther than the app says. This has been on my list since I moved to Boulder and it was so fun to check it off! Very tough, but so worth it.

View Danielle's activity
Sarah Legh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2020
Hiking

Someone needs to update the total mileage of this hike, it is most definitely not 15miles! Closer to 18 if you do the out and backs to all peaks.

Karl Hilliker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

This was an Amazing hike! Not for the light of heart make sure you are in shape and have trained up have fun!

View Karl's activity
Jordan Denning
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Found a ring near the top of flagstaff last week on Ute trail that I would like to return to the owner! Please text 970-390-1143 with a description!

Chris Wirth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingScramble
View Chris's activity
Lydia MacKenzie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
Hiking

Left my black fitbit watch by the river if anyone found it I’d be happy to pay you!! My number is +1 (603) 7033225. Lydia

Dayna Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Gorgeous hike... started early from south boulder side: the trail does not bring you to the summit of bear, green or flagstaff: we took the trails to the summit (probably added 0.1 each direction on each peak)... make sure to download the map: lots of turns at flagstaff... FYI: all trails said we were off route while hiking up towards the summit of green mountain but I think gps was confused- no other route to take... bring LOTS of water.... dodged a couple storms- one near flagstaff and the other on sanitas- bring appropriate gear... sanitas was a beast to end with: false summits and straight up... overall 5 summits 20 miles amazing views and an exhausting epic day!

Hannah Blake
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Hiking

We summited all the peaks and included the down hike for sanitas in the total mileage. Strava said 18.8 miles! Great hike, exhausted, but fun and definitely a Boulder MUST-do

Ed Victor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2020
Hiking

Epic! Need I say more? You've probably done them individually, or so. Now put them all together into one, long day. bring enough water and a jacket--you never know what the weather will do.

Henry Holbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
Hiking

My legs are jello. Worth it. The fact that sanitas is at the end is quite a troll but makes it that much more satisfying. Bring 4 liters of water if you’re hiking...