Boulder Reservoir Loop Trail

Boulder Reservoir Loop Trail is a 5.3 mile loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Don’t make the dummy mistake that I did and pay an entrance fee! Half the “trail” is a back dirt road, with little to no shoulder to walk on, the other half is trail, with lots of smaller trails that allow you to wander. Worth a visit, definitely a decent distance walk. Lots of prairie dogs and wild flowers along the way!

About half the loop is trail and the other half is dirt road. Only run this loop clockwise or you will have to pay an entrance fee at the marina; clockwise you enter the marina from the rear where there is no gate. Only recommended if you just need a run and don’t want to go far. There are so many better options within 10-15 mins of here.

Boulder Reservoir does not let people in the front gate for free and especially not with dogs!! Tip: go the back way (clockwise) and it's a great, free waterside walk. They might lecture you if you take a dog on the south shore.

Started out OK, but there were a lot of dogs off leash and they really stressed my support dog, Sierra, out. I admit I was pretty high, so I'm not sure how she lost her support animal vest. But it really messed up the reset of the hike, The cops came as well because some of some hassle between a biker and a nude runner. They just bummed me out, bad vibes from the very start.
Oh I also lost my keys. So big buzzkill on the west side of the trail.

Nice hike on the east portion of the trail. Know that the west portion of the trail isn't really a trail and you must walk (or bike) on the side of the dirt road.

It was an okay walk. Almost half of it is on a dirt road with lots of vehicle, bike, and runner traffic. A lot of off leash dogs as well. Some nice views. Will choose a different 5 mile walk next time.

Flat, but ok run. Started right before sunset...not good.

Beautiful views for a quick morning bike ride

Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday, March 24, 2017

I need area to walk. Seeing all of the dogs with their owners made me want my own dog, but I enjoyed exploring this area on my own. I walked mostly around the reservoir, but was able to cut across part of the reservoir where the water had receded. It was quite a blast! At first I was walking across sand, and then I got to a long section of street mud and muck. I was barefoot in smiling the whole time! :D
In the middle of the week and before peak season, the area wasn't too busy. Just enough people to feel in touch, yet also with in my own little world. I would certainly come back here again, with higher hopes of being able to dunk my head under the waters!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

love that you can let dogs get into the water

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Not a loop.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Good hike/walk around the reservoir. Didn't know that you could have your dog even on leash on the swim/boating side during the summer through Labor Day. Got a lecture but allowed to continue through. All in all, about 6.2 miles all the way around.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Pretty crowded at times but a good hike for those who are not very avid hikers. Brought my 2 year old nephew and it was perfect for him

Thursday, August 03, 2017