Boulder Lake via Fossil Ridge

Boulder Lake via Fossil Ridge is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gunnison, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,057 feet Route Type: Out & Back

awesome fun trail! start climbing from 10k feet and climb right from the get go. Good hike for the ticket! Lake is beautiful

This trail is tough. Went 6/26/19, still a good amount of snow on the trail after mile 2. I wish I'd brought gaiters. But, I got through all the same. At mile 2 there is a post stacked in rocks, and is where the trail turns. The trail then goes down for a bit before you start the final climb up to the lake. The lake is gorgeous. It's mostly frozen today but there is running water and the sky is blue. I took a medium pace and got to the lake in 2.5 hours. Without snow it would have been 2 hours up. On the way back down I still mumbled to myself that I should have brought gaiters... Saw a deer on the trail, a woodchuck, fresh bear scat, and most of a deer carcass, bleached by the sun. This trail is very rocky. You'll be thankful for ankle support. This is a beautiful trail, and think I've enjoyed it as much as anything I've hiked this year so far. Also there is a campground and picnic area at the trailhead. The river runs by. Great place for lunch before heading back out to hit another trail. Lamphiere, Miller, and Boulder Lake trailheads are all in this campground. Combined that would be roughly 16 miles of hiking from one spot!