Boss Lake Trail

Boss Lake Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near White Pine, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

Nice trail to a beautiful lake. From the parking at 50 you start up the trail and there's a 4 way crossroads which was confusing without signage but stay straight.
When you reach the trailhead, cross the wooden bridge to continue to Boss Lake.

It was a great short and steep hike from the trailhead. We hiked up from the snowmobile parking lot even though my vehicle would’ve made it fine—just a couple of interesting rocky spots to get around. The wildflowers are still beautiful and the lake itself is beautiful and crystal clear. A light breeze and 63 degrees in July—why yes thank you!

The sign at the parking area says the Boss Lake trailhead is 1 mile up the 230 road and my guidebook says 1.2 miles. Both are wrong. It’s actually closer to 1.4 miles. There is an unmarked poor trail off to the left at 1.2 miles—don’t take it—the Boss Lake trailhead is very clearly marked.

Most of the hike is in the woods. The aspens ate beautiful of course!

As many folks mentioned, you can drive up Forest RD 230 to the actual trailhead. While I saw "stock" trucks/jeeps make the drive, I'd suggest only doing so if you feel confident in your off road driving. It's not "rock crawling", but its a rocky road with some sections a bit steep/narrow.

I decided to hike up from the snowmobile rental building. Took me about 45 minutes to make it up to the trailhead on FR230. This section on FR230 is in a valley and has good tree cover. While it's a nice walk/workout, this section doesn't contain many views that are "hike worthy" IMO.

From the actual trail head up to Boss, it took me another 20 - 25 minutes. The trail starts and ends fairly steep with a more gradual incline in between and offers many wildflowers this time of year.

Once you hit Boss, you can look all the way back down the Lodge on the highway for an amazing view (and a reminder of your hike back if you parked at the snowmobile shop). I was greeted with the "lake" still as glass when I arrived at 7:15AM, it was a sight to behold.

As you can see on maps this "lake" is decent size so even if there are other people accessing you can still get privacy if you want. When I was there 2 dispersed campsites were taken. In total I saw about 9 parties of people in my day trip there (including the dispersed campers and others I passed on the trail). That was on a Monday, so I suspect it gets more traffic on the weekends.

I enjoyed the trip and will definitely be back in the future.

First half is hiking up a road from ski mobile rental to trailhead. You can drive with all wheel drive - I was glad for my Subaru’s 8” clearance.
Prefer not walking on roads. Wild flowers were great and gorgeous lake at trail end. Fishing was catch and release.

Great trail with fantastic views at the end. I walked up from the snowmobile parking although after walking the road, my truck would have made it fine. The trailhead is a mile up the road. There is plenty of parking and places to turn around at the TH, it took me about 40 minutes to get to TH but I stopped to get my breath a couple of times and chat with a family coming down who had lost a dog (they found him later). Once at the TH it took me another 40 minutes or so to get to the lake. The first 1/3 of the trail is very steep. The next 1/3 levels out a bit with just some gradual ups and down. The last 1/3 (maybe a little less) is very steep again. Once you get to the lake the views are gorgeous. There was only one other person there fly fishing and he looked like he was catching one every time his fly hit the water, cutthroat trout. I walked around the lake with is beautiful and considered going on the Hunt lake but decided it would wait to another time.

Nice trail with a beautiful view at the end. We drove 230 off of Hwy 50 to the trailhead leaving only a mile to go to get to the lake. 230 was very rough with large rocks and requires a high clearance 4WD. Spent a quiet night at the lake and came back the next day. Great introductory backpacking experience for our group.

This is a pleasant hike to Boss lake (man made reservoir). You can start hiking directly off 50 (there is plenty of space off the road) or take county road 230. I decided to hike all the way which was a good choice. The road and the trail are in the forest, so the mountain views are limited. The trail off county road is well marked and well maintained. There are plenty wildflowers at this time of the year! Go for it!

Beautiful hike, aspens & creeks along the way, and the views are worth it. It was our first time here, we did this hike in gators, yak tracks and snowshoes (a must this time of year). Total time 3 1/2 hrs. Slower going once we hit the trailhead since we had to pack down the fresh snow, along with challenging & steep climbs. Hiking poles are helpful. Very windy day for us, lake view was beautiful, we didn’t stay long at the top due to wind gusting. We would like to come back in the summer.

Started hiking where we parked next to the snowmobile place up this dirt road that you definitely need high4x4 clearance to get up some of the first curves and rocky parts and we walked the road in the forest until you get to boss lake trailhead and then it’s not too far from there. Crazy windy by the lake and got pretty snowy trying to go higher up past boss lake. Great views looking back to the valley and at the peaks around the lake.

I parked at the snowmobile shop and walked up county road 230. Just a few moments up from the shop you'll notice a road crossing 230. No need to turn, simply stay on 230. It took me a less than 45 minutes to hit the Boss Lake trail sign and then less than 15 to get to the lake. When you see the Lake sign, take the trail to the left, cross the bridge, and head up. This is a gorgeous hike!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017