Boreas Pass Road and Baker's Tank Trail Loop

Boreas Pass Road and Baker's Tank Trail Loop is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail, a perfect way to get away from the heat of summer since the first part of the trail is in the forest and cooled by the shade of the trees. You can do this trail as a loop or an out and back. The first part of the trail is in the woods, gives way to a few overlooks of the surrounding mountains towards the end. The second part of the trail is on Boreas Pass road, a gravel/sand road that leads back to the trail head. Decided to do the entire loop. While walking on the gravel road wasn’t ideal, the views down were beautiful.

A few things of note: my husband and I were 1 of 3 hiking groups we saw on the entire loop. We mostly came across bikers on the gravel road on our way down, 3 bikers while in the forest part of the trail. Lots of cars coming up the gravel road too on our way down. This didn’t take away from the hike though, still nice and cool with beautiful views, and everyone is so nice. When we arrived at 8am on a Saturday we were the only car in the lot. By the time we finished the lot was full. Mostly bikers from what I could tell.

If you like some peace and quiet while in the forest, I’d say this is the hike for you. Get there early and you won’t run into too many bikers on the forest path.

As for the level of difficulty, there was a pretty consistent incline in the forest, with a few level spots. But not too hard or too easy. I would definitely do this again.

Not a loop as advertised - out and back unless you want to walk the road. Otherwise pretty decent hike.

Relatively easy hike with lots of forest views until you get back out on to Boreas Pass Road. At that point you’re on gravel with awesome views into the mountains to the west.