Booth Lake

Booth Lake is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and backpacking and is best used from July until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A beautiful lake tucked away in an alpine cirque with fantastic wildflowers. The trail climbs through forest and meadows past Booth Falls, a 60-foot waterfall. Bring your own water as the creek is not always near the trail. The lake is near treeline - arrive early to beat afternoon thunderstorms. Hunters may use this area during hunting season. The trail is neither marked nor maintained for winter and crosses several avalanche paths.

Was up there this week on Wednesday the 22nd of November. I hiked up to the falls at first and that was a piece of cake. The falls around about 4km one way and then I hiked towards the lake. Did not need any special gear. Had solid 3 season La Sportiva waterproof booths and great hiking / also use them for skiing north face summit series pants. Since I forgot my gaiters a taped my ankles with a lot of masking tape. All he Way from the shoe up to my knee. This served as my gaiters. Past the falls I was was the only one and also the first to do a snow pack. There was no need for crampons (maybe snow shoes) and I did struggle in terms of a more strenuous effort of going up. It was heavier on my stamina. I turned around about 0.4 miles from the lake or so. Like someone in the comments below suggested they saw the trail end there lol! I turned because it was 3pm and I needed time to go get down + room for extra light in case of an injury. I had a drone with me so I flew up from the spot I was in and got to see the lake that way :) I was really close but at the end it was just snowing + getting dark + the snow in some parts was chest deep without any trail or snow pack to follow. Kinda bummed out since I was so close but all an all great hike. I think this hike in the summer is a peace of a cake. Curious if you can hike from the lake to one of the peaks? Does anyone know ? Cheers! My time was 3 hours up (including a lot of photography) and 30 minutes down (full on running)

Completed this hike in both the summer and winter. Yesterday I attempted to make it to the lake but there was a lot of snow, I was not properly prepared. The trail to the falls was snowy but doable without spikes/traction devices. Past the falls the trail was barely trafficked and my spikes were necessary. The trail disappeared about 0.25 miles from the lake and the snow was thigh high in some places. Trekked through it for a bit but I eventually had to turn around (no snow pants or snow gear with me). On the way down I saw a lot of people struggling to make it to the falls without spikes/ traction devices. Highly recommend them for the second half of the trail in the winter months.

Hiked this late October. Trail was somewhat icy but manageable without spikes (though it would have been nice to have them at the time). It’s a very scenic hike, especially once you hit the first 1000 ft - you can see Mt. of the Holy Cross. Waterfalls, streams along the way. If I did it again, I would go early October when the aspens are at their peak.

A beautiful place to be, conveniently close to town as well. If you've got the stamina to rock this trail then do it...great view of holy cross while going up to the lake. Most people stop at the falls a few miles in - it's very worth it to keep going. Big family of marmots live up top at the lake and they will surely be scoping you out and talking to each other!

Came back to do this hike in the fall for the changing color aspens and was SO worth it. The aspens were still almost full blazing color changes of yellows, oranges, and reds it was so beautiful. It snowed earlier in the week so as we got higher up there was some snow to trek through and then the weather got funky so we headed back before we got to the lake but we will be back (probably next fall) for the colors and to try and finally get to that lake.

Hiked mid-September.Made it to the lake in 2hr 30min, spent 20 min at the lake, and 1hr 50min back to the car. I didn't really stop to take any breaks outside of taking photos. I was the 3rd car in the parking lot on a Friday morning at 7:30. Had the lake all to myself, but crossed paths with dozens of people on the return hike and the parking lot was completely full. Aspen leaves just starting to change but wild flowers are few and far between. Beautiful views and the lake is the highlight. The falls were nice but tough to get a good view or decent photo. Be prepared for a long climb!

Amazing views, long walk, go early, it's 4 hrs more or less to the lake and 2 hrs back, weather changes really fast so be prepared, lots of water and food and wait for when the sun hits the lake... just AMAZING and totally worth it!

Really pretty trail quite technical if you are going to run it. Plenty of wildlife up next to the lake including mosquitoes !
Start early if you want a quiet experience as the trail gets busy around 9am.
Enjoy

Excellent day hike. I took my wife for her first true mountain experience. It took us 2 hr 40 mins to get to the lake and a little under 2 hours to get back down. We did take our time at the lake cooking up some meals with my jetboil. It was very close to 10 miles based on my suunto. It also said about 3300' feet of vertical. We are flat landers and were only acclimated for a day, but we both in relatively good shape (run 1-2 marathons a year).