Bluebird Lake Trail

Bluebird Lake Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Estes Park: Travel south on Hwy 7 to the turnoff to the Wild Basin Trailhead, between Meeker Park and Allenspark, to the west of the Highway. The Bluebird Lake Trail is located at the Wild Basin trailhead.

This is the Ouzel Lake trail all the way until about a half mile from Ouzel Lake then splits off, Bluebird is two miles from there. There is a couple of boulder fields you cross over. One of them the trail is pretty visible, the other you cant really tell but just keep walking and you'll see the dirt trail when you get to the end of the boulder field. The last mile of this hike is pretty tough, but the best views in my opinion, the water falls, lots of flowers, all the surrounding mountains. It was awesome. When you get close to the top you will see the snow field, if you look to the right of it you will see a cairn showing you another trail with no snow. I didn't see that trail until I was coming down. If you don't happen to find it just know I made it through the snow with no poles, I was just really careful. Beautiful lake and surroundings.

Trails conditions were still as described in previous reviews. Used trekking poles (up) and micro-spikes (down) on the final snowfield, but I'm unusually clumsy on the snow and was playing it safe. Wife only used trekking poles on the way down. Cloud cover and a slight breeze made for a delightful hike up. Encountered a moose just after the cutoff for Ouzel Lake approx. 4 miles in. Long hike but definitely recommended!

Trail conditions July 14 are the same as Spale description. The flowers are gorgeous. We wouldn't call the trail easy just because of the distance. Near the lake the trail gets steep enough that we had to use our hands to negotiate sections of it. We saw very few people once we passed Ouzel falls.

Hiked Sat. July 8th

Trail is occasionally wet and muddy but free of snow until it enters the subalpine forest a little past the spur to Ouzel Lake. The trail through the forest has the occasional patch of snow and many more wet places, and closer to Bluebird Lake, as the trail grows more exposed, there are a few larger snowfields to traverse. Spikes were useful, though I saw other hikers make it without. The steep climb about a half mile from the lake is covered by a large snowfield, so I recommend climbing up the embankment on the left side of the snow instead of attempting to traverse it. From there, snow occasionally obscures the trail before it reaches a talus field—look for cairns that mark the way through the field’s right side (if approaching the lake). A final shallow snowfield is present just before the final ascent. The lake is fully thawed and free of snow on the shores.

This trail is quite beautiful even apart from the destination (which is also lovely). Past Ouzel Falls, you’ll trek for quite a while along a flat trail on a ridge while enjoying views of Long’s Peak to the right and Ouzel Peak and Isolation Peak straight ahead (be sure to be down from this section in the approach of a thunderstorm, as the culled forest leaves you rather exposed). Many unnamed waterfalls are visible along the trail due to runoff as well. The crowds are considerably less after Ouzel Falls, and I saw only a few other hikers past the spur to Ouzel Lake. Coming down the trail between Ouzel Falls and the trailhead, the trail was quite crowded.

I'd classify this hike as easy with the exception of the final half-mile, which earns its difficult designation.

Enjoyable, challenging trail. I made it to the steep section covered in snow (about 1/4 mile from the end), but it was too much. I inadvertently slid down the hill on my backside for most of the distance. I wasn't injured, but it hurt enough that I chose to head back down. Take poles, and take spikes. As long as the snow is there, you'll need them.

Been to Ouzel Lake a few times, this was the first to Bluebird Lake. Definitely worth the additional few miles. Still snow in areas which made is a little challenging and you are rewarded when you get to the lake. Take time to explore around the lake to get different views and perspectives. Great way to spend the 4th of July.

Great hike! There was snow on the trail near the end making it a bit tricky to keep the trail. Overall, one of the best hikes I've ever done.

Still lots of tricky, steep packed snow as you near the lake. Poles helped a lot. The ice on the lake has mostly melted now.

A little past Ouzel Lake, the trail becomes entirely covered with pretty deep snow. It's packed down so you can walk on top of it, but you lose the trail completely. There are footprints that you can follow to find your way up to the lake, but it's not a definite route. About a 1/4 mile away from the lake there is a very steep section which requires lots of kicking into the snow to make it up the hill. Hiking poles would be a very good thing to bring. The lake is still almost completely covered with ice at the moment.

Attempted to hike to Upper Ouzel Creek camp 6/15/2017 but given the amount of snow in excess of 4ft starting 1 mile from the camp we had to turn around and head back down. was really hoping the snow would have been more clear but that's the chance you take.

Had to turn around about 1/4 mile after bridge. Too icy and steep with hiking boots. Saw 3 moose. Hiked 4/14/17

This is by far my most favorite hike ever! We did have to park a mile from the trail head due to so many people so arrive before 10 am. There were small waterfalls everywhere along the sides of the mountains along the trail. Bring bug spray, we got chewed up by flies and mosquitoes. We did see a moose as well. It is a gorgeous hike and can't wait to do it again. We did encounter a small patch of snow on the path, but it was no problem. Hiked this July 8, 2016.